When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
I found it... the official impact assessment says the move to E10 actually increases carbon emissions and reduces fuel efficiency.

Well done government :p

So I guess I stand by my earlier statement!
Reduced savings is not increased emissions. It’s just saving lower than planned due to the fact U.K. ethanol production doesn’t start till 2022.

Are you right said Fred ?

Caporegime
There also seems to be very little information out there about how much greener E10 actually is. Some stats about the equivalent of taking XXX thousand cars off the road keep being bandied about but I can't find the source and how they worked that out.

Based on a 5% reduction in carbon fuel in the petrol. Of course this ignores the up to 10% reduction in fuel economy and (currently) the carbon footprint of importing all this ethanol.

I've seen analysis done which shows the equation works out to be about even so no saving whatsoever.

Caporegime
Ethanol still has carbon. It’s a carbohydrate rather than a hydrocarbon. So it’s not 5% less carbon. And it’s certainly not 10% less fuel economy going from E5 to E10.

anyway there was a whole thread in this. Probably shouldn’t pollute the EV thread with this discussion.

official figures are potentially 1% fe loss and 2% carbon footprint reduction of the U.K. gasoline pool

Caporegime
Ethanol still has carbon. It’s a carbohydrate rather than a hydrocarbon. So it’s not 5% less carbon. And it’s certainly not 10% less fuel economy going from E5 to E10.

anyway there was a whole thread in this. Probably shouldn’t pollute the EV thread with this discussion.

official figures are potentially 1% fe loss and 2% carbon footprint reduction of the U.K. gasoline pool

There has been some real world tests by car magazines which show certain cars do suffer up to 10% worse fuel economy running E10.

Associate
So just over 2 months from placing order to taking delivery we have our Model 3. Gave it its first proper wash at the weekend and think it looks fantastic:
51447237698_3930d92748_b.jpg

51447237773_ded9bc8b42_b.jpg

The car is fantastic. The performance is ridiculous. How anyone could drive one of these Long Range models and think, "I need more power" is off their heed. We had a Hypervolt charge point installed the same day the car was delivered (Last Tuesday) so have been trying both home charging and public. We are fortunate in that there are still a good number of free charge points local to home and work. I've already been giving a go to the 50kW ones. In isolation these aren't "fast" but if you've gotta nip to the shops or grab a bite to eat they are perfectly adequate.

Soldato
Reduced savings is not increased emissions. It’s just saving lower than planned due to the fact U.K. ethanol production doesn’t start till 2022.

Are you right said Fred ?
Incorrect - as it currently stands the move to E10 leads to higher GHG emissions than without the move to E10

rDeTUop.png

But I'll drop it now as we are indeed going off topic

Man of Honour
Have you asked the people neighbouring you if they have an issue with you getting power to the garage yet? I'm sure they are all going to be in similar circumstances eventually, if their garages are the same placement.
No, it's a conversation I'd save for when I was more sure of wanting to go down this route. It's also not quite as simple as just going via a neighbour's property, it also has to go via what must be 'communal' land i.e. the path into the garage complex.
The garage next to ours has power because the neighbour is end of terrace and there are no houses in between their house and their garage, just a passageway to drive in to a courtyard so they were able to run a shielded power cable to it (not 100% sure if this is 'allowed' or not given they don't own the passageway). Kind of like this:

Code:
Our_House|Neighbour|Coachhoooooooooooooooouse|
Our_House|Neighbour|    |Nei_garage|Our_garage|
The neighbour has run a cable across that space which is the passage to drive in to the complex underneath the coach house.

There are another 3 garages opposite but at at least two of those would have the same sort of issue in that they can't run power to them directly from their property.
I guess one option might be offer to pay for use of the neighbour's electric but that sounds like a recipe for future dispute over how much power we've used, I'd be happy to pay more than cost price to make it worth their while but sooner or later the numbers would get muddled. Plus if the neighbour moved out or changed their mind we'd then be back to square one in terms of being unable to charge at home.

Other potential issues include the fact that the garage is leasehold, and there is a residential property immediately above it (I assume this may have some H&S implications)

Realistically, I think it's too much of a faff so we'll likely hold fire on the move to EV until we either move house, the public charging network improves a lot, or we are forced into buying an EV due the potential high cost/impracticality of ICE vehicles at some point in the future.

Soldato
massage seats maybe - but how is the adaptive suspension - or not enough experience yet for country roads vs M-ways ;
pan roof should nicely offset the rear tints (which I never really get if you have children ...)

will be interesting to see review on the new nissan/renault platform dynamics/range - is there a good explanation of unique features of their platform ?
his rear suspension comment (like vw adaptive) does distinguish it.

Adaptive suspension seems the same as it was in the BMW X3, it's not necessarily the noticeable difference in high frequency road patter between sport/comfort, the standard car is somewhere in the middle, it's that on the most comfiest setting, that 'layer' of high frequency patter being absent really makes a difference on long motorway journeys IMO. Not to mention that even in comfort mode it's turn in and dynamics are that bit more taught, but ultimately some will find that a gimmick since how many people do you know that would throw a car into a corner/roundabout and be impressed with the turn in or weight transfer?

The pan roof is definitely good for the kids our teenagers both said they felt a bit hemmed in and uneasy in the standard car we test drove and both much prefer the pan roof, but it also adds a bit more airiness in the front as a bonus.

Last edited:
Soldato
So just over 2 months from placing order to taking delivery we have our Model 3. Gave it its first proper wash at the weekend and think it looks fantastic:
51447237698_3930d92748_b.jpg

The car is fantastic. The performance is ridiculous. How anyone could drive one of these Long Range models and think, "I need more power" is off their heed. We had a Hypervolt charge point installed the same day the car was delivered (Last Tuesday) so have been trying both home charging and public. We are fortunate in that there are still a good number of free charge points local to home and work. I've already been giving a go to the 50kW ones. In isolation these aren't "fast" but if you've gotta nip to the shops or grab a bite to eat they are perfectly adequate.

Where'd you get your mud flaps? They aren't the standard Tesla one's are they? (They sent me some a while back that were black)

Ignore, just seen the answer in the M3 thread.

Caporegime

The difference is where that carbon comes from. Ethanol is made from plants that got that carbon from the atmosphere in the last year, so the net amount of carbon in the atmosphere remains in equilibrium. Petrol comes from oil that has locked up that carbon for countless millions of years, and so the net amount of carbon in the atmosphere increases.

Back
Top Bottom