When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Maths above seem to be based on a zero value at end of your usage? Which is never the case.

No not at all, I hadn't even considered how long I would keep one. Not long I would assume with how the tech will gather pace. I was purely working it out on how much the gap was between the same car in electric and petrol and how long it would take me to use that extra EV cost in fuel, on what isn't a great car anyway. I was listening to my usual science podcast and they where talking about a system being looked at where the battery electrolyte is replaced when it's depleted rather than plugging in. That to me would be far more likely to fit into the UK infrastructure than charging points and current petrol stations would just become Electrolyte stations.

I don't know how far they got with this but it seems a far better idea than when I consider the roads in the cities I drive where cars barely have a parking space, let alone a charging point.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/liquid-based-battery

Associate
No one told my Kona that it doesn't have a boot...

No idea where my shopping goes, must be some sort of dimensional rift.

Oh sorry, I should have said tiny boot and not anything like big enough for a car of it's stated purpose, small Suv. As I said it's smaller than a Honda Jazz, I know because when they opened the boot in the dealers and I said it they asked to measure the Jazz boot. It wasn't even close and had little depth. The hyundai manager at the branch said it's the reason most people turn away and they like to watch peoples reaction when they see it for the first time. You get more in a Zoe!

Soldato
What's the crack with this new upcoming Tesla Hatchback then? I read of it being about £25000. What do we think the base models 0-60 and quarters will be? What about lease deals on them?

Soldato
Oh sorry, I should have said tiny boot and not anything like big enough for a car of it's stated purpose, small Suv. As I said it's smaller than a Honda Jazz, I know because when they opened the boot in the dealers and I said it they asked to measure the Jazz boot. It wasn't even close and had little depth. The hyundai manager at the branch said it's the reason most people turn away and they like to watch peoples reaction when they see it for the first time. You get more in a Zoe!
304 litres in a Jazz and 322 in an electric Kona. So no the Jazz isn't bigger. So that dealer must have been lying or messing with you.

Also the Zoe has 338 litres of space. A Mokk-e has 310 litres.

Soldato
Boot spaces where they are measuring up to the roof line - aren't they ? always seem disingenuous;
I'd prefer to see usable width, length plus height - 3estate car has a low roof line but the the apparently ~400 feels big for shopping.

Caporegime
Boot spaces where they are measuring up to the roof line - aren't they ? always seem disingenuous;
I'd prefer to see usable width, length plus height - 3estate car has a low roof line but the the apparently ~400 feels big for shopping.

Yeah I have always thought this to be a con and disadvantages anything with a low roof or sloping roof.

Soldato
https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/skoda-world/measuring-boot-space-a-process-a-bit-like-tetris/

Generally I think boot capacity is measured to parcel shelf or rear seat height, the link above seems to suggest this is the case.

The rules also dictate how far the blocks can go, depending on the version of the technical standard – you can measure the volume up to the edge of the rear seat backrests or up to the parcel rack, which may result in large differences in different models. But the blocks must on no account raise the height of the parcel shelf.

Soldato
What's the crack with this new upcoming Tesla Hatchback then? I read of it being about £25000. What do we think the base models 0-60 and quarters will be? What about lease deals on them?
Nothing confirmed yet - just rumours and clickbait articles & YouTube videos.

Also, the Model Y was launched in March 2020 in the US and we are still waiting for it in the UK. Same scenario for the new Model S, which came out in the US in June, but won't arrive in the UK until the end of 2022.
So I expect if there is a smaller Tesla Hatchback coming next year in the US, it'll be 3+ years before we see it in the UK

Soldato
Nothing confirmed yet - just rumours and clickbait articles & YouTube videos.

Also, the Model Y was launched in March 2020 in the US and we are still waiting for it in the UK. Same scenario for the new Model S, which came out in the US in June, but won't arrive in the UK until the end of 2022.
So I expect if there is a smaller Tesla Hatchback coming next year in the US, it'll be 3+ years before we see it in the UK
However, the market for hatchbacks in Europe could be significantly greater than the US (I don't know), so maybe tesla might focus on releasing the hatchback over here sooner than their usual roll out times for the other models?

Soldato

I'd say much sooner, since the market for small hatchbacks in Europe is much larger than that of the US, and they'll have their biggest most productive factory in Germany by the end of 2022. US production is much lore likely to want Cybertruck than an ID.3 type car.

Soldato
I'd say much sooner, since the market for small hatchbacks in Europe is much larger than that of the US, and they'll have their biggest most productive factory in Germany by the end of 2022. US production is much lore likely to want Cybertruck than an ID.3 type car.
However, the market for hatchbacks in Europe could be significantly greater than the US (I don't know), so maybe tesla might focus on releasing the hatchback over here sooner than their usual roll out times for the other models?
The Model Y is a hatchback yet we still wait for it.

Soldato
The Model Y is a hatchback yet we still wait for it.

You know what people mean, small hatchbacks are more popular in Europe.

Whilst the Model Y has a hatchback it's not 'a hatchback' as we'd typically refer to them, it's a 7 seater SUV

Model Y is a fully electric, mid-size SUV, with seating for up to seven

Associate
304 litres in a Jazz and 322 in an electric Kona. So no the Jazz isn't bigger. So that dealer must have been lying or messing with you.

Also the Zoe has 338 litres of space. A Mokk-e has 310 litres.

Nope I was there and I measured it. 2010 Jazz model measured with the parcel shelf in place on both. Also that was the petrol version I measured in 2019 of the Kona. Didn't actually know the electric is smaller again!!

Soldato
Nope I was there and I measured it. 2010 Jazz model measured with the parcel shelf in place on both. Also that was the petrol version I measured in 2019 of the Kona. Didn't actually know the electric is smaller again!!
Well they are the official measurements, so you can't be right in your claims that the Jazz is bigger.

Back
Top Bottom