When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
The Model Y is a hatchback yet we still wait for it.
They're probably still trying to sort the suspension out for UK roads :). I prefer the look of the Y over the M3 but so far just looks like an overly harsh ride for a small family SUV. Even that Bjorn guy was grunting and groaning I noticed when going over bumps in his first or one of his first days of pottering around in one.

On another note, anyone ordering a BMW iX? That looks awesome but X5 in size :(. Quiet at speed with just single glazed windows I think. Legacy manufacturers know how to put a good car together. Lots of tech and more software coming over the air in future inclduing for self driving if I heard correctly

Last edited:
Soldato
On another note, anyone ordering a BMW iX? That looks awesome but X5 in size :(. Quiet at speed with just single glazed windows I think. Legacy manufacturers know how to put a good car together. Lots of tech and more software coming over the air in future inclduing for self driving if I heard correctly
I liked the iX then saw the spec and price of the i4 M50.
Double glazed windows reduce wind noise a little but do nothing to reduce the Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) from the road. Tesla only fit double to the front windows, feels more like a marketing gimmick for the Youtubers to put out content.

Soldato
Double glazed windows just adds weight too.
iX, yep expensive and understandably so - lots of carbon in use again and seems to be comparable on price to the ModX I think. That interior is something else.Too big for what I'd ever need and I wouldn't want to pay that money either. Not really that keen on the i4 for some reason so far, but will be good to see how it compares with the Mod3/Polstar etc as an overall package

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I have always thought this to be a con and disadvantages anything with a low roof or sloping roof.
need a database that supermposes the boot measurements on a picture - Thomas usually measures them so autogefeul should publish a database,
unfortunately people who sell boot matts don't seem to print the sizes.

so far just looks like an overly harsh ride for a small family
which is what Thomas had said too, like M3, but given that they are lighter(like ICES) than bev-competition it seems unexpected, and I've never seen a suspension comparison;
the adaptive on the id-3 discussed a few pages back sounds a good solution.

Soldato
I really doubt the Tesla hatch back will be £25k either, £25k+VAT+some more for the lols sounds more like the real price.

Also add Elon time to the release date, I’d doubt we will see anything before 2026, as others have said, we don’t even have the model Y yet and they have a truck, roaster and artic to build before then.

Soldato
I liked the iX then saw the spec and price of the i4 M50.
Double glazed windows reduce wind noise a little but do nothing to reduce the Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) from the road. Tesla only fit double to the front windows, feels more like a marketing gimmick for the Youtubers to put out content.

Pretty sure all Models now have double paned glass. Model 3 and Y had it first and now S + X since refresh.

Soldato
which is what Thomas had said too, like M3, but given that they are lighter(like ICES) than bev-competition it seems unexpected, and I've never seen a suspension comparison;
the adaptive on the id-3 discussed a few pages back sounds a good solution.

id 3 on nurburgring , interesting thst he attributes brake near loss to the non-defeatable DCC/adaptives, also says vw are coming out with a hot hatch ev too.
less complimentary - My VW Id.3 lost almost 10% battery in 1 year I suppose many are at their first birthday, 22KKm though.

Soldato
id 3 on nurburgring , interesting thst he attributes brake near loss to the non-defeatable DCC/adaptives, also says vw are coming out with a hot hatch ev too.
less complimentary - My VW Id.3 lost almost 10% battery in 1 year I suppose many are at their first birthday, 22KKm though.
That's too much fast charging I think :). Would be good to see battery quality comparisons over a long period and slow vs fast charging - little seems to be known about them considering how crucial they're going to be for the longevity of an EV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest, in what way do you 'defeat' adaptive suspension?
I thought adaptives and dcc in the id3 were synonymous, hence I slashed the word adaptives,
but, yes, I don't know if the adaptives are controlled/overridden in DCC situations, but it would seem useful (maybe they don't respond fast enough though)

Soldato
I thought adaptives and dcc in the id3 were synonymous, hence I slashed the word adaptives,
but, yes, I don't know if the adaptives are controlled/overridden in DCC situations, but it would seem useful (maybe they don't respond fast enough though)

DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) is the name for adaptive suspension in VW cars, yes.

I'm not sure what is achieved or meant by 'defeating' the ability to change the damping via the adaptive dampers?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'DCC situations' either?

Soldato
Soldato
[
'.....DCC situations'
DCC situations = driving scenarios where dcc/nanny cuts in, taking control;
eg .for nurburg video guy, an expert would be able to have more fun if both the dcc control of the dampers and brakes could be disabled/defeated and he could let the car over/under steer, or slide, and, at all counts, avoid loosing, the over-heating brakes.

]

Soldato
[

DCC situations = driving scenarios where dcc/nanny cuts in, taking control;
eg .for nurburg video guy, an expert would be able to have more fun if both the dcc control of the dampers and brakes could be disabled/defeated and he could let the car over/under steer, or slide, and, at all counts, avoid loosing, the over-heating brakes.

]
DCC just sets the suspension damping to comfort (soft) or sport (hard) (or inbetween).

It doesn't 'cut in' or 'take control' of anything.

DCC doesn't do anything to the brakes.

I think you (or he) is getting confused with ESP.

Back
Top Bottom