When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Wonder when EV's will actually get to any sort of reasonable price for the average joe (as in 20k a year where the majority of the country is).
Most of us don't have extra money to spend on the price of new cars let alone EV's, seems like a wealthy only thing right now (keep in mind your version of wealthy is probably way different than those of us without much spare money after bills)
There's a big push to going electric but most of us can't afford the switch.
Mine is leased. My outgoings for a brand new car are essentially the same as it was running a ten year old volvo. If you can get over the idea of needing to own the vehicle, it's pretty simple.

Soldato
Mine is leased. My outgoings for a brand new car are essentially the same as it was running a ten year old volvo. If you can get over the idea of needing to own the vehicle, it's pretty simple.

This is it in a nuthsell really. I calculated that leasing a Q4 50 Sportback via salary sacrifice was cheaper than I pay for a 1-2 year old ~£15 - 20K used car after depreciation, servicing, tax, tyres, insurance and fuel.

With the salaray sacrifice lease, I don't worry about depreciation, insurance, tax, tyres, or servicing costs. Not to mention an EV has substantially reduced fuel prices.

I even showed a colleague at work that running her cheap £5k Ford Focus was costing her ~£220 per month with depreciation, insurance, tax, servicing, maintenance and fuel. She could get a great deal on an brand new ID.3 for less and charge from home. She thought it was a great idea, until she could not get her head around the fact it "only" had 215 miles of range. I asked when was the last time she drove over that in one drive.

It's not range anxiety, it's charger anxiety that's the problem for most.

Last edited:
Soldato
Posted in the Model 3 forum also but relevant here;
Work are putting together a new benefits package, one of which is going to be some sort of car lease option. Looking on the site of the company doing it they will offer it via salary sacrifice which is handy for the tax benefits. I have long admired getting a Tesla if only for the tech so depending on the price I think I want to go for a Model 3.

I don't even drive to work but my partner would be doing roughly 150 miles a week so we should get away with only charging it once a week. We have no driveway/garage or anything so would be reliant on a public charging spot but no real bother.

Man of Honour

This is great as long as you appreciate that it won't be like this for ever. It's possible because it's basically subsidised, the true cost of leasing that car is much more than you are actually paying, it's the incredibly low BIK on zero emissions vehicles that's making it so cheap for you.

How long is this sustainable for?

Soldato
This is great as long as you appreciate that it won't be like this for ever. It's possible because it's basically subsidised, the true cost of leasing that car is much more than you are actually paying, it's the incredibly low BIK on zero emissions vehicles that's making it so cheap for you.

How long is this sustainable for?

Nobody knows what will happen. One thing is for sure, petrol prices will continue to rise and make fueling an ICE nonsensical since electricity is fractional in comparison or even free.

Man of Honour
Almost all of the cost of fuelling an ICE vehicle is taxation and duty not the actual cost of the product. Eventually, this cost will have to be carried by electric vehicles too, otherwise where does the shortfall come from?

Petrol isn't expensive - fuel duty and VAT is.

Soldato
And electricity currently has its own issues… if not for the energy price cap and people currently on fixed tariffs the cost per mile would be much much higher with the issues around gas prices/our grid.

Petrol pre-tax, as Fox says, is far far cheaper even now.

Who knows where the gov is going to get this tax deficit from if everyone switches. With electricity prices going the direction they are they’ll be parity with petrol soon per mile, but with a tiny proportion of tax revenue.

Soldato
They/tesla need the volume production on their comparatively limited product catalogue, are they making a real profit yet ? when USA factory subsidies are incorporated, green sin eating, equally Chinese subsidies(if we know what they really are, like for vw, too) as the Chinese make themselves indispensable.

Tesla are the most profitable "auto" manufacturer by % and are rapidly approaching the likes of Amazon and Apple for overall profitability and especially ROIC. For example they borrowed 1.6 billion to build the Giga Shanghai factory and recently paid off that loan just from the profits of that factory plus they were 9 years early.

I will be watching the Q3 financial report on the 20Th Oct to see just how rapidly they are increasing those profits and margins.

If it's not clear any Model Y ordered now will come from China on a big shipment in spring. Giga Berlin cars won't be available until later at which point I will be looking to order one.

Soldato
And electricity currently has its own issues… if not for the energy price cap and people currently on fixed tariffs the cost per mile would be much much higher with the issues around gas prices/our grid.

Petrol pre-tax, as Fox says, is far far cheaper even now.

Who knows where the gov is going to get this tax deficit from if everyone switches. With electricity prices going the direction they are they’ll be parity with petrol soon per mile, but with a tiny proportion of tax revenue.
Once the reliance on generating electricity using gas can be stopped, electricity prices will become stabilised.
There is 40GW of wind and 2x nuclear stations connecting in the next 8 years. Just this transition period to get through but with a price cap people are protected .

Soldato
If it's not clear any Model Y ordered now will come from China on a big shipment in spring. Giga Berlin cars won't be available until later at which point I will be looking to order one.

Agree with the rest of your post. Curious about this bit though. The Model Y Performance is due Mid-2022 vs. early 2022 for the Long Range. As it's the highest margin version, would that not usually prioritised? I speculated this may be coming from Berlin rather than Shanghai. Though I suppose the Long Range will be a lot more popular so perhaps the way they've done things makes sense.

Soldato
Lol, I see the anti EVers are here to tell us these deals won't last forever and the government will want their cut... etc etc.

Yeah because someone getting a great lease deal on an brand new EV needs to worry about what the government will do in 5 - 10 years. :rolleyes:

These are the people who convince themselves they need 1000 miles of range, while towing a caravan up a mountain in a blizzard, during the dead of winter. If an EV can't do that then they won't have one.

Caporegime
I think the point is that tax subsidy rather than merit is driving the EV sales in a lot of countries.

I think the home charger grant stops soon though

Soldato
Posted in the Model 3 forum also but relevant here;
Work are putting together a new benefits package, one of which is going to be some sort of car lease option. Looking on the site of the company doing it they will offer it via salary sacrifice which is handy for the tax benefits.
….
We have no driveway/garage or anything so would be reliant on a public charging spot but no real bother.

This sort of arrangement also reduces your pension contributions from both you and your employer so I would recalculate based on the actual true costs. Don’t forget pension contributions will have a compounded cost every year going forward until you retire (you’ll not benefit from the growth of your fund).

Given the residuals on a model 3 are incredibly high right now, it may be cheaper to buy it from a total cost of ownership perspective (not in monthly payments).

Even with such a low mileage I’d really consider the public charging situation also. It could become a hassle, particularly if use of the network outgrows the network in your local area.

Soldato
Work are putting together a new benefits package, one of which is going to be some sort of car lease option. Looking on the site of the company doing it they will offer it via salary sacrifice which is handy for the tax benefits.
Wait until you can see the actual prices, I got excited by a similar scheme initially but a M3SR+ is something like £850pm pre tax, so if you're not making a 40% tax saving on that whole £850, it's far from cheap still.

Soldato
I think the point is that tax subsidy rather than merit is driving the EV sales in a lot of countries.

If EV and ICE cars were priced and taxed the same then the majority of people would go EV. Only the high daily milers and those who need a manual with F1 V10 sound would stay ICE.
In the meantime, tax incentives drive early adopter change.

Caporegime
If EV and ICE cars were priced and taxed the same then the majority of people would go EV. Only the high daily milers and those who need a manual with F1 V10 sound would stay ICE.
In the meantime, tax incentives drive early adopter change.
. I’m talking about grants, BIK and fuel tax.

Soldato

I got the point but it just isn't a very good one, because it was irrelevant to the point being made. Right now, tax incentives exist for EV to be considerably cheaper to lease than a much cheaper ICE. People buying an EV car right now don't need to consider future reductions in tax incentives.

Back
Top Bottom