When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I would love to go fully electric as I have retired aged 64, due to a bad shoulder. However I cannot afford even the cheapest of EV's which are around £20,000 new, my driving mileage these days is probably around 5,000 miles per year and there is no journey I undertake more than 60miles return so electric would be great. The only semi-decent deal I have seen recently was a company called ONTO which had a deal for a Volkswagon UP (only me and the missus, so size OK) which was £339pm all inclusive ie, 'Your Car, Your Rules. No Long-Term Commitment and All-Inclusive Electric Car Subscription.' 1 month commitment, no deposit, insurance, charging, servicing, breakdown cover, road tax(probably free anyway), and 1,000 miles per month. You can return the vehicle any time you wish, no 3yr deals . Is this a good deal anyone? Heard of this company?

Soldato
I use Onto at the moment whilst I'm between cars. I think they're good for short to mid-term rentals but for anything long term I think you'll find normal PCP/Leasing is going to be a fair bit cheaper. But as a company they've been very easy to deal with so far.

Caporegime
Even if you didnt want to go PCP, just getting an EV on a personal lease would be a much better deal than the ONTO deal. that is for short term use only and you pay for it.

look at the massive range of cars you can have for under £300 per month

https://www.leaseloco.com/car-leasing/search

Even the UP you quoted is there for £180.40 per month. So you are paying £159 per month extra to ONTO for the convenience only a one month commitment.

Caporegime
Even if you didnt want to go PCP, just getting an EV on a personal lease would be a much better deal than the ONTO deal. that is for short term use only and you pay for it.

Even the UP you quoted is there for £180.40 per month. So you are paying £159 per month extra to ONTO for the convenience only a one month commitment.

What about the upfront cost though? The £180 a month is £1800 up front

Soldato

ONTO covers everything though. Not just the car.

Insurance - say £360/year so that’s £30/month

Servicing - say £120/year so that’s ££10/month

Unlimited charging - 1000 miles per month at 5 miles/kW would be 200kW at say, £0.30/kW is £60 so all of a sudden the gap narrows considerably. Certainly not all the way but you have to pay something for that monthly contract flexibility.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad deal but you should be aware that the included insurance has no windscreen cover. So if it cracks or chips you’re buying them a new one. The car you get isn’t necessarily going to be new. Some of them are decidedly used. And they’re controlled by a black box linked to your phone. So you don’t get the keys. And you can’t speed, and they track you constantly to monitor your mileage. It’s literally Automotive 1984. But it works for some people.

Caporegime
ONTO covers everything though. Not just the car.

Insurance - say £360/year so that’s £30/month

Servicing - say £120/year so that’s ££10/month

Unlimited charging - 1000 miles per month at 5 miles/kW would be 200kW at say, £0.30/kW is £60 so all of a sudden the gap narrows considerably. Certainly not all the way but you have to pay something for that monthly contract flexibility.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad deal but you should be aware that the included insurance has no windscreen cover. So if it cracks or chips you’re buying them a new one. The car you get isn’t necessarily going to be new. Some of them are decidedly used. And they’re controlled by a black box linked to your phone. So you don’t get the keys. And you can’t speed, and they track you constantly to monitor your mileage. It’s literally Automotive 1984. But it works for some people.

Fair enough i didnt realise it covered "everything" including charging.

Personally I would still want control of those things myself and would match rather have the ioniq and pay for insurance, servicing and charging on top.

Man of Honour
I noticed it has gone unmentioned, but gov.uk have finally made it the law to put EV charge points in all new home builds, offices (1 per 5 spaces) and supermarkets. It seems they've also included major renovation work, so I'm guessing that means total rebuilds or where the house is declared uninhabited for a certain number of months to the local council for tax etc.

Shame it has taken this long, now they need to enforce solar being installed too.

Edit: Sorry I should link to the gov.uk document showing the layout and requirements - HERE! it stipulates that they will need to be 7KW (untethered) and will also need to comply with the smart charging regulations that were recently published.
Sounds good in theory but I guess the devil will be in the detail of whether there are loopholes for developers to cut corners, if it will be updated as technology evolves etc. I guess it might even influence the design of some developments, my estate from 2008 has quite a lot of separate garage complexes whereby there is no physical link between the house and the garage/parking space. That's the main blocker for us getting an EV at the moment.

Soldato
Soo found out were the government is going to get it's tax from now everyone is going electric...

Red diesel apparently, government has just revoked companies other than farmers from using red diesel in generators or mobile plant...

Currently red diesel is 45p a litre cheaper than white, been told we can fill up our mobile generators with red do had to go to a service station with a 950ltr bowser. It was not cheap...

I can expect a the distribution companies will take a fine when a cable goes down to a few houses than run a generator now..

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Soo found out were the government is going to get it's tax from now everyone is going electric...

Red diesel apparently, government has just revoked companies other than farmers from using red diesel in generators or mobile plant...

Currently red diesel is 45p a litre cheaper than white, been told we can fill up our mobile generators with red do had to go to a service station with a 950ltr bowser. It was not cheap...

I can expect a the distribution companies will take a fine when a cable goes down to a few houses than run a generator now..
It was announced by the chancellor that it’d be banned for marine use too, although they did a uturn on that…..for now…

Caporegime

They very kindly put that back a year as was originally meant to come in on April 2020. But they arent backing down this time.

Its going to cost us about £200k per annum more so that is only going one place, on our customers bills.

With everything else we buy having increased 10-20% for new year on top of the big increases all ready this year, a lot of which we have had to absor, along with the 5-10% payrises across the board from 1st January we are looking at putting our prices up by between 10-20% next year.

And the Govt and BoE think the current inflation isd only transitory? I honestly think the biggest rises are yet to come and a lot of people are going to be in for a shock come next year with what they have to pay for stuff.

Soldato
They very kindly put that back a year as was originally meant to come in on April 2020. But they arent backing down this time.

Its going to cost us about £200k per annum more so that is only going one place, on our customers bills.

With everything else we buy having increased 10-20% for new year on top of the big increases all ready this year, a lot of which we have had to absor, along with the 5-10% payrises across the board from 1st January we are looking at putting our prices up by between 10-20% next year.

And the Govt and BoE think the current inflation isd only transitory? I honestly think the biggest rises are yet to come and a lot of people are going to be in for a shock come next year with what they have to pay for stuff.
Well it's 33kw generator with a 700litre tank, which at the moment is going through a tank every 4 days due to the load on it.

Thanks wpd for putting our three separate feeds off three separate transformers all in the same concrete channel....

Soldato
Good luck. No seriously, I’d start making enquiries now as there is next to no cars out there sat in stock waiting to be delivered.

Funny; I'd ordered a car that was "in stock" on the 25th Nov yet I've just been told the car won't be in stock with the dealer until the 10th and then I'll have to wait for delivery after that. How on earth can they legally advertise that as "in stock"?

Soldato
Funny; I'd ordered a car that was "in stock" on the 25th Nov yet I've just been told the car won't be in stock with the dealer until the 10th and then I'll have to wait for delivery after that. How on earth can they legally advertise that as "in stock"?
It must be built and in the country but not either your local dealer so they have to arrange transport and then wait on checks to make sure the vehicle is registered and available.

Back
Top Bottom