When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Solution down the line potentially for on street parkers?

https://www.trojanenergyltd.com/projects/doorstep

I think Oxfordshire county council must have blanket flyered everyone as everyone has ample off street parking here. They are looking for volunteers to have these installed. Useful in lots of cities if this sort of thing gets approval.

Nice idea, providing you can park outside your house.

Soldato
Many councils will/are putting in parking permits and restrictions which will help with that, since the old free-for-all method is somewhat ridiculous, especially when you have people living in a terraced house with 4 cars and no off-street parking.

Thank **** for that. We need more councils doing that now more than ever as it does indeed get a bit ridiculous.
I can see enforcement being an issue, but would certainly help.

Soldato
No be honest, they should have scrapped the grants for business customers and focused them on private buyers.

The plug in grant is nothing compared to the wider tax/BIK incentives business customers can get.

Soldato
yes, biggie - the grant eligibility cut-off date is when the vehicle the vehicle is physically delivered into your hands ?
still, with the average unleaded petrol price they were quoting today 145.8 contributing to inflation, that will offset ev buyer losses

Caporegime
No be honest, they should have scrapped the grants for business customers and focused them on private buyers.

The plug in grant is nothing compared to the wider tax/BIK incentives business customers can get.
I think this skewing thing. Anyone self employed is an idiot for getting ice and that’s not the fault of the car

Caporegime
It does seem strange that there is still the massive assistance for business and they drop/decrease for private buyers.

100% first year tax allowances, 130% on any charging points plus only 1% BIK potentially adds up to ten of thousands of pounds of tax relief for each company EV vehicle. Yet private only get £1500 now.

Soldato
I don't really think you can count BIK as solely business use, since a huge majority of those people receiving vehicles with low BIK are private car drivers, who end up with a company car instead.
Ask the contingent in here who drive a company car if they also bought a personal car, and if they would have a personal car if they didn't have the option to have one from the company they work for.

I really don't understand why it bothers people so much that they are putting the priority towards the BIK etc. since these are the cars that will come to the second hand market fastest, and the companies are the ones who will be buying another car sooner, so pushing the change more quickly from both sides.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Nice idea, providing you can park outside your house.
Local feedback is awful for these, now that people have had a chance to complain. (local facebook groups and things) - people complaining that these will be a menace to buggies/wheelchairs and visually impaired people. To be fair, they are metal bollards in effect and could be scattered everywhere.

Wonder if they'll go ahead beyond the trial stages.

Soldato
It does seem strange that there is still the massive assistance for business and they drop/decrease for private buyers.
I'd guess it's because it's easier to manipulate fleet sales like that with less risk of manufacturers taking advantage.

Give everyone £7500 off EVs and manufacturers will take opportunity to price (a bit) higher. You risk doing little more than subsidising additional profit for the manufacturers and overall it might not end up actually driving that many additional sales/conversions from ICE.

Give fleet drivers massive tax benefits and they'll be all over it but it doesn't give the manufacturers the same opportunity to massively increase the sales price because fleet buyers won't pay over the odds for the sake of it. Throw in salary sacrifice exceptions for EVs and plenty of 'personal' purchases have access to some tax benefit too if their company provides a half decent scheme worth using.

Caporegime
I don't really think you can count BIK as solely business use, since a huge majority of those people receiving vehicles with low BIK are private car drivers, who end up with a company car instead.
Ask the contingent in here who drive a company car if they also bought a personal car, and if they would have a personal car if they didn't have the option to have one from the company they work for.

I really don't understand why it bothers people so much that they are putting the priority towards the BIK etc. since these are the cars that will come to the second hand market fastest, and the companies are the ones who will be buying another car sooner, so pushing the change more quickly from both sides.

Because it does seem massively advantageous to those with company cars over private car buyers. Not every employee can get a company car, even if it is just a fully 100% private car and done for the cost benifit. So seems odd that on the one hand the govt is quite prepared to use tac payers money to "fund" each company car EV to the tune of £10,000+, as much as £50k for some high end EV cars and at the same time saying they are short of money so are going to reduce the grant on private cars to £1500 per car.

You either want people to go EV or you dont.

I am one of the lucky ones who does have a company car just in case you though this was sour grapes.

Soldato
I am one of the lucky ones who does have a company car just in case you though this was sour grapes.

Oh we are well aware of your luxury SUV you are waiting for. :p

You either want people to go EV or you dont.
I just explained that though, more people end up with BEV faster as companies hold onto them for a much shorter time that a private buyer would, thus buying new BEV's at the next round of cars, and the old ones being available on the second hand market.

Soldato
They’d buy a BEV regardless if you can the ‘incentive’ the other way E.g. 40-50% BIK for ICE, and 15-20% for BEV.

Or they'd do what people in my company started doing before EVs were available and ICE BIK was getting costly on the CC scheme which is switch to an allowance and buy a 3 year old ICE car themselves :p

Back
Top Bottom