When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
What I'm more interested in is doing drive train swaps. Already have a V8 in an RX7 which is quite common and next will be looking at Tesla components in an RX7. You only have to do a bit of searching to see this is already becoming a thing that companies are offering.

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

These are the the people I will be looking at doing the work sometime in the future.

Soldato
Soldato
Tried the local CYC charge point but the CCS charger wouldn't recognise the car even though the i3 recognised the cable connection. Seems to have been reported several times but not fixed. Not a good example set and the next nearest to test is near my work place but ~20 miles away.

Soldato
Another point worth mentioning is that if you want to take advantage of the Gov 75% grant on a charger install then you may have a wait between picking the car up and getting the paperwork sorted. No problem if the car is on order but I'm having to dangle a cable out the window or going round to my parents (walking distance) and trailing the cable under the garage door overnight :)

Man of Honour
But why would any manufacturer let you remote start a car when it could be in an enclosed space?! That sounds like a huge potential liability. People manage to kill themselves by leaving a car "running" in the garage with stop/start, it would be a nightmare if you could start it remotely as well. I've never heard of that being possible without unofficial modifications. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Every car I have hired in North America in the last 5 years has had remote start off the key.

Caporegime
When there is a car that can comfortabley do over 300 miles on a charge and isn't too expensive ( ie along the lines of current ICE offerings)

Looks like that might be soon with the new Nissan Leaf with the larger battery coming.

Faster charging would be good as well in case you get caught short.

Soldato
Every car I have hired in North America in the last 5 years has had remote start off the key.

Must be a US thing. I’ve never come across it here in the UK!

I’ve just googled and the first hit on Pistonheads indicates that it’s not legal in the UK or under EU type approval. So looks like that benefit for EVs is going to be EU only.

Caporegime

I’ve just googled and the first hit on Pistonheads indicates that it’s not legal in the UK or under EU type approval. So looks like that benefit for EVs is going to be EU only.
Evoque will remote start using the Land Rover app.

Handy when it’s hot or cold as you also set the climate control from the app including heated windscreen.

Soldato

You can do it on many cars with timed auxillery fuel burning heaters. Or like most the JLR automatic just remote start with your iPhone to preheat / cool the cabin.

Soldato
It's not legal to leave a car running while unattended in a public place/road. It is in parts of the US as well. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you can do it anywhere :D

Last edited:
Soldato
And which part of that post is relevant to the discussion? Fuel burning heaters don’t appear in North America as there is no emission aftertreatment. Rest is game on as the car is locked and it’s an official factory offered option homologated to the vehicle type.

Don’t get carried away and confuse your opinion as fact ;)

Soldato
Electric cars are slowly starting to interest me. Went to look around an e-golf and a leaf last Friday.
The VW dealer said 2020 is when they will really come into their own. Can't remember what model he mentioned, but supposed to be the next generation of electric car. The leaf was technically impressive, but it's an ugly thing both inside and out.

I know scientist have developed a battery which will charge in a couple of minutes. It's definately where it's going.

Call me pessimistic, but currently we are paying £60 for a tank of petrol.....and could be paying £6 for electric Mmmmmm can't see it myself.
No doubt the electric costs will increase by a factor of 10 for tax

:edit: found it https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/concept-cars/volkswagen-id

Soldato
VW EV platform MEB will kick off their offers with the I.D. and is described as offering price parity with a similar power well equipped golf.

carwow came back at £25k for a base spec e-golf so I'd hazard a guess at between 25k-30k

I'll be ready for changing my car in 2020....could be interesting

Back
Top Bottom