When are you going fully electric?

On our Tusker SS scheme pricing is all over the place
  • A Telsa Model Y LR is about £150 a month more than the equivalent spec and price Polestar 2
  • A Kia EV6 GT is about £80 a month more than a BMW i4 M50, despite the BMW costing £10k OTR more
  • A BMW iX is £150 a month cheaper than an OTR cheaper Jag iPace. In fact the iX40 M-Sport is cheaper than most EV's :p Probably due to the useless range/small battery size.

For sure other factors play a part - deprecation, insurance, special fleet deals etc.....

Our scheme is similar - when I was getting quotes, an MG5 Trophy was only ~£20/month (over 4 years) less than the Niro 3 I ordered, despite being £6k (~15%) cheaper (and I assume maintenance etc. being cheaper also). The difference in depreciation must account for a large part of that (I would assume it's much higher for the MG)

I had a similar experience with a Volvo C40 compared to an E-Niro. The Volvo was a lot cheaper to lease and that would be down to the expected residuals.

Having seen the low SS price on the BMW iX40 M-Sport, I've cancelled my Polestar 3 order and ordered the iX - White, Mocha interior and the option 22” wheels.
The Polestar 3 UK delivery has been delayed until Q1 2024 and I need a car for October this year, so this was the only sensible choice :p

52738046644_d88a6524c7_b.jpg

52738050664_a4023b7a96_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mjt
BYD Atto 3 in the uk £36,490 pounds ($43,226), in China £16,640 pounds ($20,120). So much for the hope of cheap electric cars from China being affordable over here. I would love to know why they are doubling in price. Is it shipping? Taxes? Profiteering? All of the above? Either way it sucks for anyone that wants a cheap EV.

BYD Atto 3 in the uk £36,490 pounds ($43,226), in China £16,640 pounds ($20,120). So much for the hope of cheap electric cars from China being affordable over here. I would love to know why they are doubling in price. Is it shipping? Taxes? Profiteering? All of the above? Either way it sucks for anyone that wants a cheap EV.

A combination of import duty, VAT and price mark up.
Things are generally set a price which they will sell at - not the value of the components. The average wage China is £11k a year, in the UK it's £25k. Regional pricing has always been a thing. If you want a £16k BYD Atto 3 then you'll need to move to China, where you will likely earn less.

Last edited:
There are also massive incentives for EVs in China. There are no incentives in the U.K. outside of low BIK if that’s a thing for you.

Prices outside of Europe are also typically quoted without tax, fees and delivery. Prices in Europe are always quoted inclusive of tax, fees and delivery.

Cars imported from China (and most locations outside the EU) attract a 10% import duty.

We had the exact same thing when the Tesla model 3 launch price was revealed in the U.K. People were expecting a straight conversion of $38,000 to GDP but in reality it was that, plus shipping, 10% import, plus 20% VAT so it ended up being about £40,500. There was ‘outrage’ about it at the time…

Mr Biden (&eu) have China's number, some similar subsidies on native EV manufacture, that, and appropriate carbon border taxes will make the Chinese ev less competitive,
preventing western technology leakage to china will 'help' too - China's not benevolent.
Don't forget the Uyghurs helping out in their industry too.

The new 2024 Hyundai Kona is looking very nice, I must say. My current Kona is absolutely fantastic for what I need so I guess I'll be considering another Kona next. That being said, the Achilles heel of it is that charging speed - capped somewhere around 77-80kW, and the new one will be the same. 99% of my driving can be done on charges from home, but that 1% is niggling me to "wooo buy Telsa, SUPERCHARGER NETWORKKKK!" :D
The supercharger network may be opening up to all EVs in the future, it's being trailed at some locations. My fav EV is the Kona 2021, I might be able to get one in 1-2 years.

This has no doubt been posted before: https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Last edited:
The supercharger network may be opening up to all EVs in the future, it's being trailed at some locations. My fav EV is the Kona 2021, I might be able to get one in 1-2 years.

This has no doubt been posted before: https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging
Yep I'm aware of that - it's just the planning/intelligence built into Tesla's direct so it'll redirect you to another Supercharger if the one it originally planned is now full or whatever. Unless I'm sat checking ZapMap and Tesla app while I'm driving, that's not something I can realistically do without a Tesla.

Just joined the EV club thanks to work forcing them down our throats as company cars.
I have a Q4 e-tron and have to say its quite a nice drive no doubt but am absolutely mortified after my little weekend down to cornwall (only going from devon so hardly long distances!) to test it out.... unless my maths is way out public fast chargers are more expensive than petrol/diesel!!! How the hell is that meant to incentivise people to want to switch to these so called eco saviour machines?
Am i missing something here entirely or are EVs a massive pain in the ass which cause untold inconvenience having to stop and charge the damn things and then pay more money per mile than a diesel? My particular example is at a shell "recharge" which was charging 87p per kw/h which cost me just under £30 for about 100 miles of range.

Just joined the EV club thanks to work forcing them down our throats as company cars.
I have a Q4 e-tron and have to say its quite a nice drive no doubt but am absolutely mortified after my little weekend down to cornwall (only going from devon so hardly long distances!) to test it out.... unless my maths is way out public fast chargers are more expensive than petrol/diesel!!! How the hell is that meant to incentivise people to want to switch to these so called eco saviour machines?
Am i missing something here entirely or are EVs a massive pain in the ass which cause untold inconvenience having to stop and charge the damn things and then pay more money per mile than a diesel? My particular example is at a shell "recharge" which was charging 87p per kw/h which cost me just under £30 for about 100 miles of range.
Nah your maths is fine

If you can't charge at home it gets pretty expensive right now with electricity prices so high.

You need to judge it based on how much it costs to charge at home, as that should be where 99% of your charging is done.

My salary sacrifice I-Pace only costs about 4 - 5 pence per mile and that is a very inefficient EV. About £11 gets me an average of 230 miles (about 260 summer and 200 winter).

A petrol or diesel would cost closer to 20p per mile and that is all year round.

Public charging has always been more expensive than at home but Putin, something, war, something sky high business energy rates plus 20% VAT.

The current true cost of electricity is high, plus retailer margin, plus equipment costs, plus 20% VAT.

When I first got mine in December 2021, most public chargers were in the 30-35p range. That said, some Tesla chargers are back down in the 40-50p range still.

When I charge at home, it’s still less than 1/3 of petrol/diesel which is 90% of the energy it uses and I don’t have the cheap overnight rates.

By not charging at an ultra rapid and planning your day better

AnkAgX8.png
Planning my day better by sitting for 4 hours or so on a 7-22kw charger so I'm vaguely in the same league as a ICE price per mile wise?
Or planning my day better so I don't get to my destination at all and avoid public charging stations entirely?

Yeah weird come back there… shell doesn’t even have the coverage to recommend yet.

Just see the benefit that it’s a rare occasion and as you never start a journey at 0% at a rapid the comparison to diesel costs is folly. Even if it was the premium experience to not sound like. Massey Ferguson might quell it.

Love the honesty from a company car driver there though. Ha.

Last edited:
This is incredibly frustrating and something I think government should intervene in. If I was being very cynical I would suggest that "big oil" was placing barriers to EV adoption but charging so much for electricity. Is it in their interest to reduce the delta between the cost per mile of ice vs electric? Well at this point yes as they are enjoying super profits. Price to charge away from home should not be such a big premium. There is a VAT difference which accounts for some of the gap but not to the extent Shell are employing. The whole charging infrastructure is a bit of mess and partly because government left it to market forces to sort out and that means profiteering and poor service as a price for the investment.

We are lagging behind Germany in terms of chargers per 100k population and also are well off the pace of the governments own 2030 target of 300,000 public charge points. There are less than 40,000 at present.

Back
Top Bottom