When are you going fully electric?

It did turn out mild today too additional range assistance.

so Id-2, as he comments V, at 25Keuros will be the peoples car, 1.5m tall saloon proportions/aero, should steal some id-3 customers , built in spain, batteries from spain,
so should give some pricing benefits versus asia-pacific cars (like Bidens home grown cars do there)
legacy golf instrument binacle configuration option is cool

I take delivery of my standard model Y a week today, looking forward too it considering I had to give me old company car Polestar 2 back in October when switching company and wasn't able to order a new car until I passed probation last month. Tesla was really the only option as they are the only manufacturer that could get a car to me in a decent time frame - the Polestar and XC40 equivalents couldn't even give me a firm timeline. Disappointing it's just the standard (read slow) version compared to the full fat polestar 2 I had but it will be a welcome difference from the 1.4 2016 Astra I bought to see us through / become the family second car (I suspect my wife will mainly drive the Tesla with the car seats all loaded in there and I will be left with the astra!)

Would a long range have been significantly more expensive? It'd would have to be a huge difference for me to look at a standard over an LR, as it's a huge step up in performance and range.

Still, fantastic cars though. And "really slow" compared to an LR/performance or a polestar 2 perhaps, but compare to something like an Audi q4 etron 35, the Y standard has 50 miles more range and 0-60 is 6.6 seconds Vs the audi's 8.7 ! 6.6 used to be fairly warm, e46 330i was around that?

so Id-2, as he comments V, at 25Keuros will be the peoples car, 1.5m tall saloon proportions/aero, should steal some id-3 customers , built in spain, batteries from spain,
so should give some pricing benefits versus asia-pacific cars (like Bidens home grown cars do there)

If they hit the price I might be interested. Same with the Renault 5.

I like that.

It’s what the market needs but it’s a concept car, I’d be putting a healthy amount of scepticism on anything shown.

I think it’s fair to say, for the price point they advertised, you are not getting the 280 mile WLTP version and what you’ll probably get is a set of lovely steel wheels to go with.

Most of the articles I read mentioned two battery sizes so I’m guessing all the specs they released were for the big expensive battery and the price was for the one with the much lower range.

Looks like the Chinese are really putting a rocket up VWs behind, that’s no bad thing.

Last edited:
Cancelled my order for a Niro EV on salary sacrifice yesterday :(

Found a lease deal for a used e-Niro instead, £150/month cheaper and no effect on my pension :)

2 years old/16k miles, and can hopefully get it by the end of the month rather than September!

It's missing a few gadgets, and appearance/interior obviously isn't quite as modern, but as far as I can tell, otherwise it's essentially the same car - range, charge speed, and performance are virtually identical, and it's just as practical for lugging the kids (and their inevitable mountain of stuff) around. Bonus is it's also 25% cheaper to insure :D

My 11 year old is a bit disappointed, as he likes the look of the newer one, and it was going to be orange, rather than the boring silver I'm now getting, but he didn't seem too keen on the idea of paying the difference with his pocket money... :cry:

Last edited:
at this rate, bloody never :p

Waiting for the Mg4 - ordered in november. Expected delivery 12-16 weeks.
Finally got a response from MG customer service yesterday - As yet no build slot, minimum another 12 weeks.

grr.

Got a link? Not seen that one.

~£20k, 68mph and claimed 250 mile range.

I think it is the concept that they are driving, but if it is like the Ami then it's fairly close to the production model which entered production a few years later.

Last edited:
Would a long range have been significantly more expensive? It'd would have to be a huge difference for me to look at a standard over an LR, as it's a huge step up in performance and range.

Still, fantastic cars though. And "really slow" compared to an LR/performance or a polestar 2 perhaps, but compare to something like an Audi q4 etron 35, the Y standard has 50 miles more range and 0-60 is 6.6 seconds Vs the audi's 8.7 ! 6.6 used to be fairly warm, e46 330i was around that?
I'd have paid the extra but you're only allowed to go a certain amount above the band and the standard was the best I could get. I think for the price it's still a steal and will likely replace the Astra with something much better once we have completed some renovations at the house. I am looking forward to all the "tech" working as the polestar app was unbelievably flakey when I had it

just followed/saw my first iX definitely Anneka Rice - can see where the aero is coming from; in mattish black, the slit indicator (none of this progressive fad) very distinctive,
makes the X tailgates dated.

It’s what the market needs but it’s a concept car, I’d be putting a healthy amount of scepticism on anything shown.

I think it’s fair to say, for the price point they advertised, you are not getting the 280 mile WLTP version and what you’ll probably get is a set of lovely steel wheels to go with.

Most of the articles I read mentioned two battery sizes so I’m guessing all the specs they released were for the big expensive battery and the price was for the one with the much lower range.

Looks like the Chinese are really putting a rocket up VWs behind, that’s no bad thing.
My concern there is if the gov starts putting extra tarrifs on the Chinese stuff.

Unlikely to happen, we can’t afford a trade war with China and we can’t just put tariffs on Chinese cars without also putting them on cars built in other countries where we don’t have an FTA in place (E.g. the USA).

Last edited:
Unlikely to happen, we can’t afford a trade war with China and we can’t just put tariffs on Chinese cars without also putting them on cars built in other countries where we don’t have an FTA in place (E.g. the USA).
I agree but I doubt it is going unnoticed that MG are regularly appearing in the top 10 most sold cars in the UK and while the consumer may not care that they've just bought a car direct from the Chinese state the UK government might start taking a different view.

I agree but I doubt it is going unnoticed that MG are regularly appearing in the top 10 most sold cars in the UK and while the consumer may not care that they've just bought a car direct from the Chinese state the UK government might start taking a different view.
But to re-iterate my point, they cant put trade tariffs on Chinese car manufactures, only imported cars outside of our other trade agreements.

Putting higher tariffs on Chinese cars also means applying them to some of the the best selling cars in the UK which are not in the control of the Chinese government.

Those are the WTO rules we all voted for right?

Last edited:
But to re-iterate my point, they cant put trade tariffs on Chinese car manufactures, only imported cars outside of our other trade agreements.

Putting higher tariffs on Chinese cars also means applying them to some of the the best selling cars in the UK which are not in the control of the Chinese government.

Those are the WTO rules we all voted for right?
Not disagreeing with you in the slightest. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if there is some government head scratching going on with regards to what they can do about the UKs frugal car buyers financial support of president Xi Jinping.

... aren't foxcon opening 'factories' outside china to diversify, but maybe apple don't use them now.

Chancellor had an opportunity to go Biden and give additional subsidy on born in the UK ev's , with Bidens action are china sending more ev's our way.

Back
Top Bottom