When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
You have an iPace don’t you? They’ve never really been known for their frugal use of electrons, hence the massive battery :p

Just giving context, fully aware of the consequence to roadload with a 4WD driveline with epicyclic gearbox drive motors to fit neatly in the integral link rear suspension running on 20” not rolling resistance optimised tyres with high feature set… :) it’s not bad consumption is probably the point I’m trying to make.

chap I spoke to at Shell in his Onto Audi Etron has never seen more than 190 from his! Charged fast though, etron before him was 145kW peak and still pulling 83kW@ 85% SoC. quite the bar tab for a heavy drinker mind. Bad etiquette on a 175kW unit charging to 100% from the older chap aswell. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Got an iPace for the weekend, like it so far, although this one appears to have almost every option!

Interested to see what the actual range is like. Need to find somewhere with a rapid charger I can use later on.

Soldato
Not a personal review but I would think about it carefully if you are buying a new one because of its rapid charging connector. I don’t think it’s Chademo rapid connector is here to stay and it’s the only BEV on sale that still uses it. New Nissan models will be CCS.

While companies are still putting in Chademo chargers because there are a lot of Leafs out there, they are also putting in plenty of CCS only chargers too. I expect new instals of chademo connectors will drop off sooner or later (when they stop selling the Leaf with Chademo) and at that point I expect the estate of existing connectors will slowly shrink over time as chargers are replaced. While that may be scaremongering, it sounds an awful lot like how reality often works.

That said, if you don’t really expect to use it’s rapid charging connection, it may be a mute point.

Associate
Any one got any personal reviews of the Nissan Leaf? Looks like we might be possibly going for one when we give our Micra back at the end of the year.

I have known a couple of first-gen Leaf owners, and they are far past their prime now. So I wouldn't buy second-hand. If it's one of the new generation, they don't review especially well versus their peers, check WhatCar/Auto Express etc.

Soldato
It'll be brand new lease when the "new" micra goes back, Just depends what deal Nissan will offer my parents.

I don't think the rapid charge will be an issue since as a family we don't do massive miles, very rarely do anything 100+ miles, and their commutes are very small, mine is nearly non existent with WFH.

Soldato
Just giving context, fully aware of the consequence to roadload with a 4WD driveline with epicyclic gearbox drive motors to fit neatly in the integral link rear suspension running on 20” not rolling resistance optimised tyres with high feature set… :) it’s not bad consumption is probably the point I’m trying to make.

chap I spoke to at Shell in his Onto Audi Etron has never seen more than 190 from his! Charged fast though, etron before him was 145kW peak and still pulling 83kW@ 85% SoC. quite the bar tab for a heavy drinker mind. Bad etiquette on a 175kW unit charging to 100% from the older chap aswell. :p

Us etron owners have to charge to 100% else wed never make it home :D

I was at the Banbury instavolt chargers this morning. Pretty much went from empty to full in 40mins.

Soldato
well the model 3 is terms of frontal area, hence the upright side glass and flat roof just to maintain head room. The longer the car, particularly rear overhang, the easier for a decent Cd number.
Sure but the language is subtly different "small slippy cars" vs "small frontal area slippy cars"... Essentially, a large car doesn't have to have poor efficiency, which is what seems to be the point argued very often. Model X is another case in point.

Soldato
My car is due back in October, with £23k left on the finance. WBAC are offering £31k for it, which is nice. What I'm trying to decide is: do I stick with Jaguar, pick up the I-Pace and have no hassle at the dealership as they'll just do the switch for me; or head over to Ford for that Mach-E ER RWD which is £15k cheaper?

The only real journey I have to worry about is Manchester to Essex, approx 215 miles. Both should manage that without having to coast in silence.

Anybody done any decent comparisons?

Soldato
Bjorn’s IONIQ 5 (AWD) range test which I’m sure people have been looking forward to.

180 miles @ 120km/h with a bit of rain and 21c on 19” wheels. Not amazing range and sounds a little painful to live with for long journeys.

Soldato
Bjorn’s IONIQ 5 (AWD) range test which I’m sure people have been looking forward to.

180 miles @ 120km/h with a bit of rain and 21c on 19” wheels. Not amazing range and sounds a little painful to live with for long journeys.

Lines up with what I heard about the efficiency on the press test drives, bit of a shame really

Soldato
Lines up with what I heard about the efficiency on the press test drives, bit of a shame really
180 miles in the rain at 120km/74mph ... as he said par for the course, stll 280@60mph.

the paper white (amoled?) no reflection display is nice .....
what was he taking about with respect to reported battery use being non-linear at ~7mins due to state of charge being Amp hours ?
is he saying the voltage drops so Amp/hrs are inadequate to communicate power ie p=vi

Back
Top Bottom