When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
We've not had any in Europe yet have we? I mean we have roundabouts, the USA mostly doesn't

Model S and X have been shipping without stalks to Europe since December 2022 according to Google - slightly longer than I realised.

The debate as to whether it’s the 3rd or the 4th depends on if you are a Yank who got the truck or the rest of the world who got the Model 3 first.

Last edited:
Soldato
As stated before, it should be fine if we have steer by wire, greatly reduced steering lock, and variable steering based on speed. Enabled by the 48v low voltage introduced by the Cybertruck and due to be rolled out across all Tesla's.

Ofc this will take some time.
Is steer by wire even legally allowed in the UK?! I thought that a physical connection to the steering was a requirement.

Associate
Test drove a BYD seal today.

Quite surprised actually, quite refined and very punchy on the motorway (40-70) and this was the RWD 300hp not the AWD 520hp one that’s only £20 extra a month.

Longer range than a Tesla model 3 long range. However slower charging at 150kw max.

Lots of bing’s and bongs to get used to but my understanding is this is more driven by NCAP 5* BS.

Caporegime
Why is peak charging so important. Area under the curve far more important

The seal does look interesting. Sounds like the £20 extra is a no Brainer

Associate

The seal does look interesting. Sounds like the £20 extra is a no Brainer

This is a very good point. Looks to be a lot flatter than the model 3 RWD.

LFP battery as well so charge to 100% every night and have 250-300 miles of real world range.

Yes price difference is completely insane considering you get semi-active dampers and a HUD plus an extra 200hp.

Also looks nicer than the Tesla.

Soldato
The BYD blade battery is something else, Tesla use it in the German built standard range Model Y and it charges at its peak of 170kw to over 50%.

Last edited:
Soldato
totally agree

I would rather a car be able to charge at a max 100kw but do it all the way to 90% than one do 250 between 20% and 30% but from above 50% be stuck at 70kw.

I even deliberately picked a number which would allow the average to be above 100 for the simple reason I think we need more charge points not more powerful charge points .

any car which can add 70kwh in 45 mins (which equates to a genuine 250miles) is absolutely usable in just about every scenario imo...... but knowing with certainty that there will be an available plug to charge at at a random service station is still a pipe dream IME and it's more important to sort that than have heaps of 350kw super chargers .
(also maybe I am wrong but surely 100kw is kinder on the batteries?)

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, I am the opposite, I find it more useful to front load the charging curve even if the end result is broadly the same.

Why? To minimise dwell time at chargers. If you’ve just done 250miles (~4-5 hours driving), more often than not, you’ll just be giving it a quick zap to get back home or to a destination charger. When you just need that 10-50% charge the higher peak rate gets you moving again faster.

Soldato
It's rather cute that most posts on EV groups or manufacturer posts on Facebook or twitter are from the anti EV brigade leaving silly comments about things they cant or refuse to understand. They waste far more time moaning than they probably do driving their 800 mile without stopping diesel guzzlers.

Soldato
Power cut here now, luckily I didnt use the car today so still charged to 80% from last night.
wind blowing like a b...... here. power still on but keep expecting to hear the dreaded scraping of tiles as one comes down the roof and hits one of our cars.
last gale one of our ridge tiles came off. luckily didn't hit anything (could have killed someone)

Associate
Agreed a price on a Zoe a few days back with a Renault main dealer, got the paperwork through to electronically sign and they've added on £25+VAT (so £30) for Fuel which also makes it £30 more than the agreed price. Annoying me considerably for what is otherwise a 13 month old car. Wonder if they stuck it back on hoping I wouldn't notice as I turned down their Gap products and cerarmic gubbins which was possibly silly as they indicated they could take more off the car if I took the GAP. Should have took the extra discount and then cancelled the GAP stuff when I completed the handover as other GAP products are significantly cheaper.

Anyway, waiting on a call back to discuss this Fuel charge before signing the order form (have paid a deposit). For avoidance of any doubt, this is 100% distance at the moment and will be up to collection to keep the distance selling things on my side in case of any issues. Given we'd agreed a price, adding on £30 is annoying me more than it possibly should but why spend £30 I don't need to.

Back
Top Bottom