When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Waiting patiently for the Easter getaway related headlines, taking bets of the first headline. Mine is: Broken EV charger, causes EV to set on fire at MSA causing the adjacent cars to set alight and the fuel station to explode, resulting in a tail bacs from Bristol to Birmingham on the M5.

:p

Soldato
New Ford Explorer orders opened online (via Ford website) and in dealers this week, FYI. Pricing and the larger battery vehicles available to browse online. Full disclosure - I work for Ford but opinions are mine.

I also went along to Everything Electric at the Excel centre London today. It’s running a couple more days, highly recommend going along if you can and you’re remotely interested in EVs or even home solar, heating etc. Great panels, in-person reviews from the Fully Charged team, lots of choice to test drive and some fantastic vehicles brought along to the show. The Chinese and Korean offerings were generating huge buzz today, some really impressive vehicles that should have the main manufacturers worried a bit and even perhaps Tesla too. I liked the BYD Seal in particular.

Caporegime
Waiting patiently for the Easter getaway related headlines, taking bets of the first headline. Mine is: Broken EV charger, causes EV to set on fire at MSA causing the adjacent cars to set alight and the fuel station to explode, resulting in a tail bacs from Bristol to Birmingham on the M5.

Didn’t you hear, the Baltimore bridge collapse was actually due to an EV crossing it, too heavy don’t you know :p

Soldato
Because they've already changed several times. Because they will want new features, perhaps for new battery technology having different needs. Because the whole nature of the powergrid may well need to be changed to deal with the future needs.

And because I think it's very likely that cars will be primarily charged by induction in future.

They haven't changed several times. Yes at the very beginning we had cars with either a type 1 or a type 2 plug. The only difference between the two is the physical plug and they can both be used with the other type with a simple adapter that costs a few £. That issue was settled years ago and because of the simple adapter, there was zero reason to replace it if you needed to swap from one to the other. If you really didn't want to use an adapter, you could just change the cable.

The only reason a charge point installed in 2014 would require replacement is if it is faulty, otherwise it would happily charge a car built in 2024.

The power grid isn't changing and time soon, any fundamental change would cost £lol and its implementation time would be measures in decades.

Induction may be a thing but its going to be limited to being a premium option for people who have money to burn and couldn't possibly spend 5 seconds plugging a cable in. Systems already exist if you want one but they cost £££. As for public induction charging, that's unlikely to happen at any scale due to the cost. Induction roads are nothing but a pipe dream.

Soldato
New Ford Explorer orders opened online (via Ford website) and in dealers this week, FYI. Pricing and the larger battery vehicles available to browse online. Full disclosure - I work for Ford but opinions are mine.

I also went along to Everything Electric at the Excel centre London today. It’s running a couple more days, highly recommend going along if you can and you’re remotely interested in EVs or even home solar, heating etc. Great panels, in-person reviews from the Fully Charged team, lots of choice to test drive and some fantastic vehicles brought along to the show. The Chinese and Korean offerings were generating huge buzz today, some really impressive vehicles that should have the main manufacturers worried a bit and even perhaps Tesla too. I liked the BYD Seal in particular.
I just did some marketing work for the Explorer launch, it looks pretty decent on paper.

Soldato

With thanks to whoever left 8 Heras fences and a rake strewn across the M25 today, I had an horrific drive today. With that and all the torrential rain, roadworks and bank holiday traffic it took me 6 hours to do 170 miles, does that count?

On the plus side, my power consumption was very low...

Soldato
With thanks to whoever left 8 Heras fences and a rake strewn across the M25 today, I had an horrific drive today. With that and all the torrential rain, roadworks and bank holiday traffic it took me 6 hours to do 170 miles, does that count?

On the plus side, my power consumption was very low...

Was your slow moving EV somehow responsible for a catastrophic delay to other 'normal' road users, and due to you going slow did your battery run out due to running your heating for 6 hours and you were forced to be taken home on a flatbed? If not then no it does not count. :p

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Had my model 3 long range a year now. Averaged exactly 250wh/mile (4miles per kwh) over that time which I'm quite happy with.

It's averaged 2p/mile over 13,000 miles, predominantly on octopus agile with four supercharger trips and a bunch of cheap work charging (10p/kwh). 4mm all round left on the tyres and breaks look untouched!

The main annoyance has been the range drop in winter, from 330 miles in summer to 260 in the coldest bits of November last year. That was enough to not make Heathrow and back which is a pain as it means a charge after a long flight. Although it is useful being able to add the 15% of so needed in the time it takes to get a coffee.

Overall I'm well impressed and as it's via salary sacrife it feels like I'm cheating the system somehow :D

Soldato
Finally got the new 2024.8.7 for our Model Y.. Most people probably have it, but nice to have Matrix LED headlight functionality enabled. Better late than never and it has slightly restored some faith in Tesla since I thought it was a design oversight precluding EU approval (i.e. it lacked some critical small sensor or similar)..

Also good to see they added a feature the ID.3 had for the last 2 years.. if you set the charge limit above the recommended (80% for LR cars) it allows a one time option so after that charge it reverts back to 80% which is perfect if you want a very long trip that a 100% charge is preferred..

Shame those weren't available from the outset, but fair play, I thought the headlights would never get enabled!

In other news, my S3XY Knob should be delivered today.. https://enhauto.com/knob (Yes, it's suitable for work!)

I won't be enabling anything that messes with the drive train (e.g. Drift Mode, or Regen levels).. just using it for shortcut buttons.. although will enable auto reengagement of autopilot after changing lanes to make it a bit more useful on motorway journeys.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woke up to 2024.8.7 available on my Y too (oh yeah, I got a Y last week so I've just gone fully electric again). Typical it's come just as we start daylight savings so I likely won't have any night time drives until November :p I'll have to go out tonight especially just to test it.

Soldato
Woke up to 2024.8.7 available on my Y too (oh yeah, I got a Y last week so I've just gone fully electric again). Typical it's come just as we start daylight savings so I likely won't have any night time drives until November :p I'll have to go out tonight especially just to test it.
Get used to almost too frequent updates!

We've only had the car since mid Dec 2023 and so far:
94b6JVE.jpg

Soldato
I just got it last night too and like you guys, I probably won’t use them for awhile now.

My old 71 plate Model 3 had the hardware and I thought the day would never come, better late than never I guess!

Soldato
Nice. Mine came with 2024.2.8 and now on 2024.8.7. I've also set up TeslaMate on my little homelab machine, which is what I think your screenshot is? :D
Yep, Teslamate is awesome! I didn't quite have it ready day 1, but within a week it was logging.. the level of detail captured is eye-opening for many reasons!

Soldato
Yep, Teslamate is awesome! I didn't quite have it ready day 1, but within a week it was logging.. the level of detail captured is eye-opening for many reasons!
Yea it was so detailed it even captured all the little turns I did in a supermarket car park when being fussy about where I parked :D

Soldato
eVs aReNt fIt fOr PuRpOsE
my parents came to visit over easter and it was the 1st time i had 5 people in my car (ipace). it was amazing how the car did not feel any different with 5 in it (admittedly i was not allowed to give it the full beans so maybe would have noticed then).

i could just about get 5 people in my old nissan QQ but by god did you know it, the acceleration and braking was hugely affected by the weight in the car.

I sincerely hope i never have to go back to an ICE.

in other news, my folks on the way home got held up on the M6 for over an hour whilst it was emergency repaired after a vehicle fire. I asked (mostly joking) if it was an EV. they said they never saw the car however i guess it wasnt. if it HAD of been an EV you can bet your left nut the gutter media would have been all over it, but because it was an ICE (as it almost always is) there was not one mention of it in my news feed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
my parents came to visit over easter and it was the 1st time i had 5 people in my car (ipace). it was amazing how the car did not feel any different with 5 in it (admittedly i was not allowed to give it the full beans so maybe would have noticed then).

i could just about get 5 people in my old nissan QQ but by god did you know it, the acceleration and braking was hugely affected by the weight in the car.

I sincerely hope i never have to go back to an ICE

Isn't this just because your previous car wasn't very powerful and your new one is?

Back
Top Bottom