When are you going fully electric?

Don
What your definition of a fraction?

9/10 and 1/100 are both fractions .
Well, the Porsche Taycan is a good example. Loads on Autotrader at 4-years-old around the £40-50k mark. That's one hell of a drop from the £80k+ they cost when new.
If you take an equivalent Porsche Panamera. We're looking at around £60-70k for a 2020 model V6 which cost £80k when new.

Soldato
Well one of the selling points of EV was they held their valve. Now you not only have normal depreciation but can find its value has dropped another 30-40%. That is a lot of money.

That's not what's happened though, they didn't have normal depreciation and then drop another 30-40%. They had almost no depreciation prior to 2022.

When I bought my Model 3 in late 2021, I could have bought a 2019 used model for over £38,000 or a new one for £42,000. Those 2019 Model 3's cost £37,500 to buy thanks to a government grant available at the time. Owners were literally selling them for more than they paid for them, for a mass produced car, that's not normal. I feel sorry for the people who bought them, they got screwed but I don't see how you think 0 depreciation is sustainable.

The above was replicated across the range of models available and that's why it looks like used values have crashed, its because they crashed from near zero depreciation to what a 3/4 year old used car probably should cost. Ev's are not exactly cheap either, hence the large drop in real £.

Well, the Porsche Taycan is a good example. Loads on Autotrader at 4-years-old around the £40-50k mark. That's one hell of a drop from the £80k+ they cost when new.
If you take an equivalent Porsche Panamera. We're looking at around £60-70k for a 2020 model V6 which cost £80k when new.

Tycan's are a bit of an oddity but normal for a new car to drop 40-60% in the first 3 to 4 years. Perhaps it is not normal for a Porsche but its, a normal every day 3 series rep mobile (which is what most EV's on the market represent), certainly.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do we all think of the xiaomi SU7

Impressive what they have achieved in 3 years puts the legacy auto makers to shame

I'm on my second Xiaomi phone. Battery went on the first after 18 months and this one randomly switches itself off :p

Jokes aside I actually really like a lot of what that offers. I'm too cynical to buy a car without a dealership support network so we'll see if they actually have a presence in the UK to backup the product.

Associate
My Polestar runs Google Maps as it’s built in sat-nav and does this all natively, using the car’s current state of charge and recent usage statistics.

AAOS (Google) is quite nice really, having the car as a connected device in Google is useful, particularly when touring, you can plan on your big screen tablet/PC etc, and just send it to the car and it sorts it all out, integrates with car systems etc, better than using Carplay/Android Auto, handy when you want to avoid routes that aren't great for a trailer, easier than programming it in the car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well one of the selling points of EV was they held their valve.

They don't have any valves to hold. ;)

If you are talking about TCO then you need to stop reading tabloid media and actually look at the facts. I linked a video earlier, but here it is again, perhaps you could give it a watch and then come back and see if you still think there is an issue or disparity with any other type of vehicle.

Associate
AAOS (Google) is quite nice really, having the car as a connected device in Google is useful, particularly when touring, you can plan on your big screen tablet/PC etc, and just send it to the car and it sorts it all out, integrates with car systems etc, better than using Carplay/Android Auto, handy when you want to avoid routes that aren't great for a trailer, easier than programming it in the car.

Also amusing when you get in the car on day 3 of ownership, and wonder why all your recent destinations are pubs in Belfast. Turns out the previous owner had left his account signed in, and had been on a pub crawl the night before…

Mind you, he probably wondered why he’d visited a military base in Lincolnshire…

Soldato
I just don’t see the point of a taycan apart from a huge tax right off. You can get better (range, boot space, interior and performance) for a lot less.

You are literally paying £60K+ for the badge. So no wander they depreciate like a stone
I thought Taycans were meant to be genuinely good to drive?

A car is more than just the sum of it's top trump stats.

Caporegime

They drive great (as does the Audi eTron GT), but they are overpriced (list) IMO, positioned to look higher in the range than they should be.

Buying a used one could be a good deal, buying one new will likely result in a rinsing.

Leasing one (or salary sacrifice) is probably easier to stomach if the sums work for you.

Soldato

Test drove one, was nice, it's a similar price to the Hyundai Ioniq 6 I've been looking at, probably wait a few months more for the market to drop further and interest rates to potentially take their first dip before committing to anything at all though.

Caporegime

problem was the supply & demand issue when they were new. With 18mths to 2 years wait time for your order, no discount and brand new cars being sold for way more than list, that is no longer the case. All new Taycans are £20-£20k off list price now so no surprise early ones which cost £80k+ are only £40-£50k at 4 years old. Bearing in mind that £70k will get you into a brand new one now, i think £40-£50k is a decent used price tbh

Don
I wouldn't have one at that price. Rather take a Tesla TBH and benefit for the Superchargers. I think this is half of the problem. People just don't want to pay even £40k for them.

Soldato
They are mostly open to any car now, and ones that aren't are quickly being added, and all new builds are open to all, and they've open 5 new or expanded sites in less than 3 months this year.
They really are not. There are about 140+ sites in the UK, only 40 are open and those 40 that are open are mostly 'off motorway' chargers.

Not all new builds are open to all, they are still installing V3's at Welcome Break and Moto motorway service areas.

Soldato
So off and a little journey on Monday from Liverpool to Hull , Tuesday Hull to Middlesbrough then on too Newcastle Wednesday and finally drive home Wednesday evening . Should be fun and a fair few charges
:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom