When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
All depends on how things are designed, ICE cars now have loads of parts that would have to be removed to just to change a sensor, where as a battery could be changed relatively quickly if designed for it.

But they don't make them easily swappable, they build the whole car around it and even make it structural in some. So the cost of replacing it is basically disassembling and rebuilding an entire car.

Whereas a whole engines can still be swapped in a couple of day by someone who knows what they are doing. You can also find used engines dirt cheap for most cars.

Last edited:
Associate
But they don't make them easily swappable, they build the whole car around it and even make it structural in some. So the cost of replacing it is basically disassembling and rebuilding an entire car.

Whereas a whole engines can still be swapped in a couple of day by someone who knows what they are doing. You can also find used engines dirt cheap for most cars.
That's why I said designed for swapping out. One company already does it but you have to go to their outlet to have it changed.

Soldato

Where do you get this stuff from? Battery swap is much easier.

Repairing a battery takes longer because you have to take to battery pack apart..

Soldato
Stealer being a stealer, quoting £35k to replace like-for-like, no idea what the laws in Canada are like (or the insurance) or why the warranty was void? It's easy to make a headline of of a single case for anything, just go and look at the F1 Miami thread, then you'd think all food cost $280 fora sandwich.
Basically they had no repair supply chain in place so they basically wrote the car off as an insurance claim. Couldn't repair a nearly new car through a third party due to warranty and insurance.

Soldato
A battery is easier to fault find as it either works or doesn't.

Usually it's faulty cells or modules so it's not charging or discharging properly. So you get a lower % of the battery.

Lots of battery repairs on YouTube. Hard to find because they are drowned in all the click bait fud videos.

Last edited:
Associate

Have you ever seen a nio battery swap station?
the car even drives itself into the station, 5 minutes later you have a different battery.

Associate
Have you ever seen a nio battery swap station?
the car even drives itself into the station, 5 minutes later you have a different battery.
That's the one I was talking about. It's not a perfect solution but better than most.

I thought it took 10mins. Wasn't it on Top Gear?

Last edited:
Caporegime
You said energy storage in your quote. Also an electric motor is far less complex than a ICE engine.
Fuel tank swap vs battery swap. That’s all. Most engines last longer than the car now. Not sure about batteries lasting longer than car yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
an ioniq isn't designed like a nio, though, and, I thought they had ++chinese govt subsidy.
battery dissasembly/fud - maybe just be sensible on the videos you watch - like watch the munro one of the tesla battery pack dissasembly - I see why genz spends so many hours on youtube/twitter critical thinking

i5 seems in unique market position alongside what ? audi e-tron gt as a large premium ev, for those that don't want aerodynamicbrick suv's, so, they can command the £700 lease price

Associate
That's the one I was talking about. It's not a perfect solution but better than most.

I thought it took 10mins. Wasn't it on Top Gear?
I watched bjorn nyland do it on YouTube.

Soldato
There were lots of battery swapping systems tried and working years ago.

None took off because it's a completely unnecessary and over engineered solution to problem that doesn't exist for the vast majority of people.

The vast majority of people don't need F1 style pit stops. If you're someone who does, need rapid pitstops on very long journeys buy a diesel.

EV have made huge advances in very short period of time. Battery swapping isn't it.

Associate
There were lots of battery swapping systems tried and working years ago.

None took off because it's a completely unnecessary and over engineered solution to problem that doesn't exist for the vast majority of people.

The vast majority of people don't need F1 style pit stops. If you're someone who does, need rapid pitstops on very long journeys buy a diesel.

EV have made huge advances in very short period of time. Battery swapping isn't it.
True, but if needed it shouldn't be a difficult process or too costly

Caporegime
True, but if needed it shouldn't be a difficult process or too costly
But then you need more batteries in the system . And as the most expensive part of a car do you really want to be constantly swapping them out not knowing if it’s a good one or not ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I will admit gluing a battery pack such that the cells or at least packs of cells can't be replaced handily rather than a whole battery does seem an odd choice. however that is a design problem and not an EV problem.... therefore surely fixable.

if this is a concern for someone about EVs but they want an EV then all they need to do is Google and work out which cars have the best battery design to be swappable.

if enough people vote with their wallets and reward car companies who allow easily accessible batteries then the rest will surely take note.
so buy a Nio!
it's a bit like I am getting tired of people moaning about cobalt and using that as a reason for not getting an EV (despite it being used.in ICE cars).
there are plenty of cars out there with cobalt free batteries

I know with my ipace that definitely can have part of the battery pack replaced and not the whole battery (because it is happening now)

Last edited:
Caporegime
You only bought a second hand one because it was cheap after someone else took the hit on a new one. Right now that person is the guy in charge of a lease company (due to tax incentives of the guy signing up for 3years )

Are you buying a new Ev cash yet? Until then it’s all conjecture to be honest.

Ps no one cares about the ethics of the battery pack when they are looking at salary sacrifice schemes

Not sure glued together packs are anything but a Ev problem ?

Last edited:
Associate
But then you need more batteries in the system . And as the most expensive part of a car do you really want to be constantly swapping them out not knowing if it’s a good one or not ?
The start of this particular run of comments was about the price someone was quoted for a repair and the fact the car was scrapped due to the repair costs. Battery packs should be designed to be replaced if needed and repaired easily again if needed. It isn't about just swapping them out willy nilly, people are prepared to pay for servicing on ICE cars but moan about an EV that requires less maintenance. Beats me.

Back
Top Bottom