When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
BMW i3 with 80k on the clock. I think the range had dropped a bit too.

Which model and age was that? 80k miles on an original 2013 car, with a 60Ah (18.2kWh net) or 94Ah (27.2kWh net) will obviously show 'some' range loss, but let's be fair they are very small batteries and not at all representative of what is available at what the i3 would have cost new today.

Going back to PHEV says more about the knowledge of the user than the performance of the battery pack, since if they were going to change anyway your do your research. They should also calculate how many miles they will cover as pure EV, if the car was indeed 10 years old then 8k per year is average, but if it was 3 years old then they are going to have a massive fuel bill doing 26k per year on a PHEV, unless it is one with ironically a battery the size of the i3's

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had a good look at my work eV lease thing.

Cheapest car on there was 300 a month for 2 years + 0 deposit.

That would = 7200.
Current car cost 3000 + 200 in insurance +150 I think in tax + what... 500 for repairs?

So yeah, unless something goes badly wrong (ie auto gearbox dies) it's better to keep the banger.
But it's not as far out as I thought.

Edit. I forgot get 5000 miles of ovo free charging. So it's probably quite close (assuming sold the banger for 3000)

Those cheap Chinese cars the Rita Ora or whatever it was called was £228 no deposit a few months back. It was perfectly reasonable and the running costs would have been basically free compared to my other cars as I can charge for free at work as well as the other half but the crux of it was I would have to keep our family car insured and taxed as we would need it for any trip that required decent range.

Problem with kids and a dog plus a penchant for camping and road trips there is really nothing suitable at the moment and when your second and third cars are a bit compromised the main family car needs to be able to do it all.

Soldato
ev vs 'banger' with a newer more reliable/maintained ev and cheap miles , you'd probably adjust your lifestyle with trips further afield - MTB'ing N. Wales / Derbyshire ...

We are going to Disneyland Paris next month and will have to use the tesla charging network multiple times each way.
We are going to Disneyland Paris next month and will have to use the tesla charging network multiple times each way.
especially if you are off the ferry early can probably strategically plan stops at low demand times - does disney have good&cheaper destination charging too.

--------

what's the likely production capacity for cybertster ? on one side lower production might help maintain demand&prices on the other higher production better long term parts support.

Soldato
I have an Audi etron which Audi were promoting in Q4 last year with a free charger, big contribution, free servicing, MOT etc etc. I really like the car but the 150 mile range can be an issue for longer journeys. Most of our driving is around town but when we go on holiday it can make things more complicated. We are going to Disneyland Paris next month and will have to use the tesla charging network multiple times each way.
To give you some more useful advice: the Tesla network isn't necessarily the cheapest on the continent, particularly for non-subscribers. You may be better off using Ionity, Fastned or some of the others available over there.

With the prices being so close, I'd just charge where it is most convenient rather than charging on the Tesla network which are often 'off motorway' in France. Other networks are typically at the aires which will be the most convenient option.

Soldato
I did ask my employers HR about this SS effect on pensions. And they assured me that the pension contribution was taken off first, then the salary sacrifice. So in that case, would it really have an effect on my pension?

My guess is the NHS scheme doesn't do this, hence this discussion. But I did check before I signed up.
A few people have already said this, but the NHS scheme is CARE - career average, revalued earnings. So your pension is your career average pay, multiplied by an accrual rate which I think is 1/59 in the NHS?

So if you work for 35 years and your career average pay was £50k, your pension would be (35/59)*50000 = £29,661 per year for the rest of your life, increased each year inline with inflation. People often warn others to be really considerate of the salary sacrifice schemes in the NHS and other public sectors positions that have a defined benefit pension because the gross deductions (anywhere up to £1k/month probably?) take a big chunk out of each year's pay, which then drags your career average down.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, 2 months in and I've saved about £400 in diesel. My average journey time to work has dropped by about 1.5 minutes which ain't bad on a 20 minute commute.

Although my colleagues do refer to me as noddy now and make meep meep noises when they see me :cry:

Soldato
Well, 2 months in and I've saved about £400 in diesel. My average journey time to work has dropped by about 1.5 minutes which ain't bad on a 20 minute commute.

Although my colleagues do refer to me as noddy now and make meep meep noises when they see me :cry:
:cry:

What did you end up with? Do you still have the Bullit?

Caporegime
:cry:

What did you end up with? Do you still have the Bullit?

Bought an i3s. Realised I wasn't driving the bullitt at all so sold it. At some point I may get something fun again but for now I've got better places to put my money and just don't have the time!
I would be lying if I said I don't think the i3s is fun though. It's so nippy! Can tell it weighs only 1300kg.

Soldato
Bought an i3s. Realised I wasn't driving the bullitt at all so sold it. At some point I may get something fun again but for now I've got better places to put my money and just don't have the time!
I would be lying if I said I don't think the i3s is fun though. It's so nippy! Can tell it weighs only 1300kg.
Ah fair sounds good

meep meep

Soldato
A few people have already said this, but the NHS scheme is CARE - career average, revalued earnings. So your pension is your career average pay, multiplied by an accrual rate which I think is 1/59 in the NHS?

So if you work for 35 years and your career average pay was £50k, your pension would be (35/59)*50000 = £29,661 per year for the rest of your life, increased each year inline with inflation. People often warn others to be really considerate of the salary sacrifice schemes in the NHS and other public sectors positions that have a defined benefit pension because the gross deductions (anywhere up to £1k/month probably?) take a big chunk out of each year's pay, which then drags your career average down.

Thanks for the explaination. My wife is an NHS worker, and so does have similar options available to her (and I know how her pension works, so she doesn;t have to). However, I am by far the bigger earner here, and so the tax advantages available to me are greater than hers.

Soldato
Tesla in France is proper dogging territory, stick to the Aire de xxxx for decent FastNed / last mile / Ionity etc chargers.
Check out the Tesla U.K. open sites, taken from another forum:

As far as I can tell, Tesla have opened up the following twenty V2 / V3 sites today:
  • Norwich
  • Wyboston
  • London - North Greenwich
  • Dartford
  • Dartford (Service Centre)
  • Sevenoaks
  • Flimwell
  • London - Gatwick
  • Portsmouth
  • Amesbury
  • Bristol - Cribbs Causeway
  • Camborne
  • Exeter - Darts Farm
  • Reading - Katesgrove
  • Reading
  • Oxford - Redbridge
  • Nottingham (Service Centre)
  • Nottingham - Victoria Centre
  • Derby
  • Leeds - Whitehouse Street
In summary there are currently 62 open-to-non-Tesla sites now in the UK. Made up of 47 V2/V3 sites (20 of those opened today) and 15 of V4 sites.

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s nothing to do with France…
I never said it was… top effort post there mate…

Figured people might want to know about 20 new ‘decent’ value (relatively) chargers being switched on overnight…

To use a Tesla charger as a non-Tesla owner, do I need to download the Tesla app?
Yes unless it’s a V4 which take contactless. If you want to use the subscription then you’ll need the app.

Soldato
It was/is literally a conversation about using open Tesla superchargers on a journey to France which would presumably start in the U.K., Tesla opening up 20 new sites in the U.K. a few hours previously is perfectly relevant.

Your post was the last post in that conversation on that topic which wasn’t the last post in this thread, it makes sense to link it to that… sorry you seemingly got offended by that…

Soldato
Had a lovely trip down to Dartmouth on Sunday with just a bit of rain whilst we were having lunch in Rocks Fish and Chips.

Dropped into Strawberry Fields, Buckfastleigh on the way back to grab a drink and a top up from the Osprey chargers on site. Didn't need to stop, but they do a lovely hot chocolate and Gluten Free Lemon cake (I am a Coeliac). Bit pricey but a nice spot just off the A38 with plenty of parking and facilities. Electroverse credit paid for most of the charge so didn't have to wince too much at the 75p per kWh.

Only issue we had was me not paying enough attention to the Kempower Charger screen and plugging it in before it asked, hence failed on handshake. No issue, re-tried with more patience and it all worked. :)

A little over 200 miles for the whole round trip with me actually using Auto Pilot / Auto lane change properly for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom