When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
It’s a battery diagnosis of the state of charge window in each is the current counting parts of the cell supervisory circuits to measure Ah status against new.

So no nothing do with with range, but you already knew that as you are a smartarse yeah? just not quite cracked the smart bit yet?

I was taking about ICE vehicles. Their range varies depending on a wide variety of factors. Speed being one.

So when someone starts taking about guaranteed range, without mentioning the variables they really don't know what are talking about.

As for EVs SOH of a battery is an entirely different subject. Since you can fix bad cells, or replace a battery in theory you can get a old EV back to 100%. In fact as technology improves you might be able get a bigger battery than original sold with the vehicle.

Some have upgraded batteries in Leaf for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVxEOETTWnQ&ab_channel=FullyChargedShow

Soldato
Why, I pay out every year to have my Mokka serviced which if I didn't and just ran the car, it wouldn't last long would it?

I dunno what your point is. Most ICE cars will have some fault at some point that makes it uneconomical to repair. Not that it can't be repaired, just that most people won't bother.

Caporegime
I was taking about ICE vehicles. Their range varies depending on a wide variety of factors. Speed being one.

So when someone starts taking about guaranteed range, without mentioning the variables they really don't know what are talking about.

As for EVs SOH of a battery is an entirely different subject. Since you can fix bad cells, or replace a battery in theory you can get a old EV back to 100%. In fact as technology improves you might be able get a bigger battery than original sold with the vehicle.

Some have upgraded batteries in Leaf for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVxEOETTWnQ&ab_channel=FullyChargedShow
You can’t. All cells age so the only way to get a battery pack of 7000 cells to full is to replace them all. Much like you do when a iPhone battery ages.

Who’s talking about guaranteeing range ?

The leaf battery is a Nissan part where the fit the battery from a later model car. They are the same physical size. Let’s not talk about leafs if you are using them as an example. Air cooled and horrible as they age

Caporegime
power fade in an ev, as battery ages, is noticeably missing from the 8 year battery warranty - your hot-hatch potentially becomes luke warm.
It’s noticeable as a car goes from 100 to 0%. drop volts and cause power loss. Very noticeable on a model 3. Less so on other cars which seem to cap power even if the battery would allow the motor to pull more.

So yes. Same issue as a battery ages in terms of peak voltage output

My S2000 spun a rod at 180k. 150k miles it was still making more power than the factory numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can’t. All cells age so the only way to get a battery pack of 7000 cells to full is to replace them all. Much like you do when a iPhone battery ages.

Who’s talking about guaranteeing range ?

The leaf battery is a Nissan part where the fit the battery from a later model car. They are the same physical size. Let’s not talk about leafs if you are using them as an example. Air cooled and horrible as they age

Repair cells, replace battery pack you can bring it back which is the point.

"...Highest mileage Model S is currently on its fourth battery pack. Four batteries at 1.2 million miles mean that the average pack lasted some 300,000 and counting..."

Soldato
It’s noticeable as a car goes from 100 to 0%. drop volts and cause power loss. Very noticeable on a model 3. Less so on other cars which seem to cap power even if the battery would allow the motor to pull more.

So yes. Same issue as a battery ages in terms of peak voltage output
subsequently looked up aged ev battery power delivery
so beneath shows how internal battery resistance increase with ageing ie just lost heat
if you are at 50% soc and discharge heavily at 4C/10degrees resistance on old battery (check 7) can be twice what it was when battery new (check 1)
so total energy cost of launching car increases

1-s2.0-S2090447923003313-gr21_lrg.jpg

Soldato
There are simpler ways to explain that...
did you read both ? latter is a description for those on gcse physics, or whatever replaced that qual'n
True battery health is likely a combination of capacity and power fade, but for the driver of an EV, it translates to whether or not the car can accelerate as fast, and go as far, as when new
- does he acknowledge any empirical data ?
a WLTP requalification (that involves some acceleration/deceleration) on an ageing ev would be interesting to see.

Soldato
did you read both ? latter is a description for those on gcse physics, or whatever replaced that qual'n
True battery health is likely a combination of capacity and power fade, but for the driver of an EV, it translates to whether or not the car can accelerate as fast, and go as far, as when new
- does he acknowledge any empirical data ?
a WLTP requalification (that involves some acceleration/deceleration) on an ageing ev would be interesting to see.

It's going from A through Z to get B. It's essentially gets to the same point. Clarity and brevity.

It reminds me of Gaming Nexus deep dive on cold plate engineering heatsinks. To get 0.000001% of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom