When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Ford might have better luck shifting a few EVs in the UK if they weren't only offering the £43k+ Mustang Mach-E and the £45k+ Explorer as their consumer retail offerings still. The sooner they get stuff like the EV Puma to market, the better they'll fair I expect.

Soldato
Ford might have better luck shifting a few EVs in the UK if they weren't only offering the £43k+ Mustang Mach-E and the £45k+ Explorer as their consumer retail offerings still. The sooner they get stuff like the EV Puma to market, the better they'll fair I expect.

Seems like Ford agree with you.

Soldato
This basically. That said, I see so few Mach-e’s around compared to the large numbers of its competitors (mainly Kia, Hyundai and Tesla).

Going MEB may well cost them their European car business in the long term - not that they have made much money in the last decade here. I’m not sure how they can compete with Sellantis, VW or the Chinese when they have to pay VW for every car they sell.

Sure lots of people in the U.K. used to buy fiestas but that isn’t the case across Europe.

Soldato
I just assumed a bit like Toyota they were just going to focus on hybrids.

They have to adhere to the ZEV mandate, which dictates that 22% of their sales in 2024 must be ZE, rising to 28% in 2025 and so on.

As usual with these sorts of things, they can all 'buy and sell' their quotas amongst each other, so they'll have options to play the game in the short term I expect before they're really forced into hitting fines etc.

Soldato
They have to adhere to the ZEV mandate, which dictates that 22% of their sales in 2024 must be ZE, rising to 28% in 2025 and so on.

As usual with these sorts of things, they can all 'buy and sell' their quotas amongst each other, so they'll have options to play the game in the short term I expect before they're really forced into hitting fines etc.
There are only so many credits to go around once that % starts ratcheting up and I expect the market will dry up quite quickly.

Soldato
Soldato
Repair cells, replace battery pack you can bring it back which is the point.

"...Highest mileage Model S is currently on its fourth battery pack. Four batteries at 1.2 million miles mean that the average pack lasted some 300,000 and counting..."
I hear that Trigger still has his original broom as well.

Soldato

The gov/manufacturers can try and “re-enthuse” people all they want, but a great deal of punters just flat out don’t want one no matter the incentives.
I’ve no idea how they’ll achieve the lofty height of 22%, let alone 28%.
It’s literally the government pouring cold water on all the ‘green’ every moment they get.

This wouldn’t actually be an issue if the government actually believed in its own strategy and made even a half hearted effort to communicate it effectively. It’s almost like they want it to fail to appeal to the right of the right.

Caporegime
It’s literally the government pouring cold water on all the ‘green’ every moment they get.

This wouldn’t actually be an issue if the government actually believed in its own strategy and made even a half hearted effort to communicate it effectively. It’s almost like they want it to fail to appeal to the right of the right.
It’s expensive for them. More incentives and less duty.

Soldato
It’s expensive for them. More incentives and less duty.
It doesn’t have to be. It’s possible to deploy both carrot and stick.

Plus the EV is revenue positive in other ways, mainly through its £8-10k higher sticker price and the additional VAT that would raise.

Caporegime
It doesn’t have to be. It’s possible to deploy both carrot and stick.

Plus the EV is revenue positive in other ways, mainly through its £8-10k higher sticker price and the additional VAT that would raise.
2k a car once. Vs hundreds every year ?

EV shift is a big fuel duty gap

Last edited:
Soldato
2k a car once. Vs hundreds every year ?
Yup, the government only measures policy costs over 5 years so the gap isn’t that significant.

When the inevitable replacement for fuel duty is rolled out, presumably by the end of the decade, the gap will be closed.

Be that increases to VED or some attempt to do something consumption or toll based, revenue will continue to be raised from vehicles one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom