When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Whoosh. The point was it seemed ok to just replace the battery
Whoosh, people do the same with ICE vehicles so what is the problem. Buy a new car, battery, secondhand battery or part of a battery compare that to buying a new engine, second hand engine, parts of an engine.

Associate

Need any more?

Soldato
there are a load on ebay as well.... i cant check now but iirc an ipace battery is around £8500.

not cheap by any stretch but neither would an engine for a car with similar marque to my EV

and again that is assuming complete failure. in truth, because my ability at car maintenance does not go much beyond checking tyres and fluids a complete replacement battery WILL mean i sell the car.

I would not even entertain doing it myself and hourly rates at garages are mental.................. but again, that would also be the case i suspect if my (fictional) Maserati ICE car had a spectacular failure as well.

Last edited:
Associate
there are a load on ebay as well.... i cant check now but iirc an ipace battery is around £8500.

not cheap by any stretch but neither would an engine for a car with similar marque to my EV
The anti EV's just don't see the similarities, just the fact it's an EV.

Associate
An episode on electric classic cars, Richard stated that when the tesla batteries and motors come up for auction they tend to fetch now money than a new set.
But you can't buy a new set from tesla, so captive audience

Caporegime
An episode on electric classic cars, Richard stated that when the tesla batteries and motors come up for auction they tend to fetch now money than a new set.
But you can't buy a new set from tesla, so captive audience
Same with Cleevley and the leaf upgrade. He can’t get batteries

Caporegime

Need any more?
The comment was buy a repaired or refurbished one. I don’t see a refurbished one ?

Have you asked about shipping and fitting yet ?

Not really sustainable either. Rely on a crashed car to replace a broken battery with a second hand one with unknown history

Last edited:
Soldato
The anti EV's just don't see the similarities, just the fact it's an EV.
Not really. More that some people seem to think that EVs have solved inherent ICE issues and then come out with stuff like 'all you need to do to get the range and performance back to how it was when it was new is fit a new battery'.

That isn't a Haynes one spanner level of job, nor is it a cheap one. It's at least on par with replacing an engine in an ICE car. What do you think that does to it's performance and economy?

Associate
Earlier it was really easy to fix a battery pack ?

Do you mean the battery cell module or pack when you say a battery is plug and play ?
If a battery is just bolt on and plug in surely that is easier than all the stuff needed to be done on an ICE vehicle. A module replacement would take longer depending on how the pack was designed obviously. Sarcasm really goes over people's heads sometimes

Associate
The comment was buy a repaired or refurbished one. I don’t see a refurbished one ?

Have you asked about shipping and fitting yet ?

Not really sustainable either. Rely on a crashed car to replace a broken battery with a second hand one with unknown history
You can take the same risk with a secondhand engine. Again no real difference between them

Back
Top Bottom