When are you going fully electric?

You'd also be very suprised how small a proportion of truck journeys actually need a charger too. It's a pretty small number, most are local/short journeys

If trucks start racking up 500,000 miles on its original battery that will do a lot to dispell the battery life concerns some people have.

Again it will be the big I that is the deciding factor - infrastructure. Sure lots do round trips from a depot but you also see plenty of trucks a long way from home.

I'm not a trucker obviously but I was under the impression that tacho restrictions are a real PITA and hold ups on the road can totally screw any plans a driver may have. So if you get stuck in traffic, are 60 minutes from a suitable charging site but only have 45 minutes on the tacho you'd have to take your mandatory break then stop again. Be interesting to hear from any truckers as to whether that is correct or if I'm talking out of my rear.

Someone mentioned better quality of life for the drivers, that will be a big positive. I assume all those trucks that stop in such scenic places as a grotty layby on the A14 are only doing so because it's the quickest way to get their mandatory break in. If there is a need to charge as well then there will be proper facilities and the driver can take a proper break away from the cab.

yes interesting video - didn't seem to mention speed seems it is max 50mph - so that (lower kw/100k) help explain why battery recharge is not imposing on allocated driving/rest periods,
(had seen video of r5 range on 130k autoroute versus a road increases 50% )

The ID3 I could probably go for, it's not too much over the Golf. Will have to see what new driver insurance is like for it over the golf (which is cheap) as I'll hopefully be on the road in a couple of months, providing I can actually get a test date lol.
for me insurance similar to a 320i ~ £400 ...kona & co more like £600
My aversion to 2nd hand ID3 is lack of pre-conditioning/retrofit of that software, for quick re-fuels on weekend trips, but, it's sweetened since 2nd hand ones are 5K less than Renault etech ~£20K

My aversion to 2nd hand ID3 is lack of pre-conditioning/retrofit of that software, for quick re-fuels on weekend trips, but, it's sweetened since 2nd hand ones are 5K less than Renault etech ~£20K
As if you would buy one even if it had pre-conditioning. Just nonsense excuses :cry:

For the rest of us who live in the real world it barely makes a difference

I can't find a link to this, so sorry if it's a repost. But this is a very interesting discussion about the market, Rory Sutherland usually has some intriguing opinions.

Back
Top Bottom