When in Rome, how does one budget?

Associate
Do as Romans do. Pickpocket.

I visited Rome with my girlfriend last September and there were some pretty dodgy groups of men around the tourist hotspots who would approach you, one actually touched my arm and I got pretty annoyed and made a scene to draw attention to him.

Despite that, I had a pretty good time and visited most of the sights and historic monuments. We stuck to the restaurants that offered 2 for 1 deals and just shopped at Tesco equivalent stores to keep costs down.

Caporegime
If you ask for a parts you might just get a glass of milk.

Italians sometimes have a a cappuccino for breakfast with some sort of pastry,the rest of the time you drink espresso.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
its a capital city and a tourist hotspot...don't expect it to be cheap

but theres plenty of great places to eat that wont break you

pizzeria with wood fired ovens are the ones to look out for, fresh pizza and a cold beer then a gelato...hard to beat

Caporegime
I can't stand espresso and the sole reason I dont but a cappuccino is because its frothy and less coffee for my money!

There is the same amount of coffee in an espresso and a cappuccino or latte (but don't ask for this in Italy). Most of them are double shot as standard too. That's why in most coffee shops, asking for a larger size usually just mean you are getting more milk and weaker taste.

cAMuA94.png

Caporegime
Apologies if I've missed this advice but I love a coffee, at any time of the day but... apparently a latte after 12 isfrowned up on??

A latte in Italy means a cup of milk, it isn't what you think it is.

https://italianconcierge.com/blog/entry/five-key-rules-for-ordering-coffee-in-italy

If you want a latte . . . ask for a latte macchiato (milk “marked” with espresso). If you just say latte, you’ll just get a glass of milk. These typically come very milky, so if you want the equivalent of a “double latte,” ask for a latte macchiato scuro (a dark one).

Also….

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...taly/articles/italian-coffee-culture-a-guide/

3. Never say ‘espresso’
Which reminds me, thou shalt not use the word espresso. This a technical term in Italian, not an everyday one. As espresso is the default setting and single the default dose, a single espresso is simply known as un caffè. And don't say "expresso", either.

Isn't travelling fantastic? you learn so much, on little things such as coffee.

Man of Honour
Just be careful in checking the price of some things BEFORE you order - there have been numerous reports doing the rounds over the last few years where half a dozen coffee's and a few ice creams came to €150+ - when we went to Rome around 5 years ago we went in a coffee shop along the side of the road where you queue to get in to the Vatican and the coffee's were around €20 each!!!!!

€20 a cup, sounds like my uncle Carmine’s place, on via di Santa Angelica, I can’t recall the way he says it, but it translates to, “More **** you.”
As for budgeting, I always went by my old dad’s advice, “Jean, the only time that you have to worry about money, is when you haven’t got any, until then just spray it around it on booze and women, waste the rest on food and rent, you’re only here for seventy odd years, it ain’t a rehearsal son.”

Could that have been due to heatwave as in Madrid it was 49 degrees same time last year and it was a weird heatwave.

I have no desire to rain on your parade, but that sounded a little high, so I texted a British friend who’s lived on Calle Serrano, Madrid for maybe 12 years, he said that the record, in 2012, was 40.6c, or 105.1f, but whichever way you slice it, Madrid can be a furnace in high summer.
I love Madrid, but I can’t wait for the evening, when it comes down to maybe 25c to 27c

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom