When people say "its 2018 why is x thing happening"

Soldato
Well, they clearly mean that whatever they’re talking about shouldn’t be happening these days, which happens to be 2018.

I doubt they’re claiming to have been around since the story about Christ being born was first published.

Soldato
It's a comparative for when we're surprised that seemingly simple things haven't been achieved, despite how far we've come. For example, it's 2018, we've put men on the moon, I can talk to someone on the other side of the planet in real time right now, I could travel and meet them in less than a day, and I'm typing this from a device which allows me to access the entire Internet and can be stored in my pocket.

Yet has anyone invented an umbrella which can be opened in more than a stiff breeze? Have they ****. PRIORITIES.

Soldato
OP
An example of what i mean is something like "It's 2018 why are people still eating meat".

No ones been alive for 2018 years(or longer) so I just don't get this kind of comment?

Soldato
Not sure if troll or not... :p

“It’s 2018, why is _____ still happening?” to me means that we’ve made so much progress, so why on Earth is _____ still happening when we have things to either: stop it happening/it should be normal etc.

It’s a massively open phrase but for me - I hear it more about technology, than anything else. For example, why, with all of the technology out there, are we still using normal text passwords.

^ By the way - I understand why that hasn’t happened - I’m not looking to discuss it - but ultimately phones and tablets have moved in the direction of face and finger protection, but traditional computers are still here with keyboards.

^^ I’m serious - don’t fight me on that, it was just an example - I understand why that isn’t the norm yet :p :p

Caporegime
Yes this is a good example. His answer makes no sense to me, "because its 2015". No ones been around for 2015 years so what exactly is he talking about?

because there must be no bad stuff in [current year] all bad stuff should only have happened in the past, in [current year] we should all be super progressive and not disagree with anything but simple agree instead with the prevailing SJW narrative - reminding people that it is [current year] also shows how "woke" you are

Caporegime
because there must be no bad stuff in [current year] all bad stuff should only have happened in the past, in [current year] we should all be super progressive and not disagree with anything but simple agree instead with the prevailing SJW narrative - reminding people that it is [current year] also shows how "woke" you are
Alternatively, we're not living in caves, pooping into our hands, and throwing badly made spears at animals which no longer exist anymore. Well, Chris is, but not normal people.

OP - do you have similar problems with other non-literal sentences?

Back
Top Bottom