• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When to upgrade from a 980ti??

Soldato
I'm on a 980Ti clocked pretty high under water (1475 Core / 8000 Mem) and game at 1440 on a 144Hz screen. I was going to to hold and see what AMD brought with Navi and perhaps nVidias move after.

Since playing Apex Legends I just don't get comfortable frames at 1440 and that's at everything on Low. Can get up to around 142 inside with a no action but the variance is massive when moving to the more demanding areas.

Decided I'd upgrade and the only real place to start was a 2080. The 2070 didn't offer the upgrade for the money IMO and because I have a GSYNC monitor I wasn't moving to AMD.

Ended up ordering a 2080 which I'm waiting to arrive. More than money than I'd like to spend on a GPU if I'm honest but there just aren't many options. No way I was ponying up over a grand on a Ti variant.... Would be over 1.2k by the time I'd gotten it under water.

Something is wrong there, I was playing Apex Legends with laptop in sig at 2880 * 1600 and my framerate was ok.

Soldato
I’m afraid I disagree. While I patiently waited for the right parts to appear on the MM, I ran my 980 (non-ti) at 3440x1440 and the experience was perfectly fine.

I now run my x34p on a 1080 (non-ti), and it’s awesome; no drops or stutters, and settings are always high or ultra, and I sit at around 100fps. I might need to tweak a setting or two on some titles, but that’s it. The card is under water and I’m pushing it hard, but it was still great at stock with the factory cooler.

I suppose we all have different thresholds of ‘acceptable’. Hell, I played quite a bit of Shadow Warrior 2 on my XPS15 with a 1050; loved it.

I just assume everyone means fully maxed graphics settings but I can see how something as powerful as the 1080 would handle ultrawide quite well. 1080ti verges on struggling in some games in that scenario (eg. I play Wildlands on very high instead of Ultra to go from mid 40s which is just about playable to 70ish, but barely any loss of visual fidelity so I'm more than happy to do that!).

I had a 1070 which was similar in performance to 980ti. Wouldn't even bother with fully maxed or even very high on Wildlands at the time with it.

Soldato
I just assume everyone means fully maxed graphics settings but I can see how something as powerful as the 1080 would handle ultrawide quite well. 1080ti verges on struggling in some games in that scenario (eg. I play Wildlands on very high instead of Ultra to go from mid 40s which is just about playable to 70ish, but barely any loss of visual fidelity so I'm more than happy to do that!).

I had a 1070 which was similar in performance to 980ti. Wouldn't even bother with fully maxed or even very high on Wildlands at the time with it.

It helps that I tend to play games a few years older, and the heavy overclock brings me closer to a 1080ti.

Soldato
Something is wrong there, I was playing Apex Legends with laptop in sig at 2880 * 1600 and my framerate was ok.

I was not happy with my performance at 1440p on a 144Hz monitor, wasn't a pleasant experience overall.

Just put an Auros WaterForce Waterblocked 2080 in and happy with it so far. Boosts to 2050Mhz with only a Power Target increase and no manual overclock above that. 34 degree C load in my custom loop.

Bloody massive card though! Dwarves my 980ti in both length and weight.

Soldato
I was not happy with my performance at 1440p on a 144Hz monitor, wasn't a pleasant experience overall.

Just put an Auros WaterForce Waterblocked 2080 in and happy with it so far. Boosts to 2050Mhz with only a Power Target increase and no manual overclock above that. 34 degree C load in my custom loop.

Bloody massive card though! Dwarves my 980ti in both length and weight.

That temp is incredibly low for an 'overclocked' card at full load. What's your rad setup? I sit at about 45C at full load in gaming, that's with 360+240 and the ambient temp is quite low, fans are at minimum but I only find they improve the temp when I'm dumping lots of heat into the loop.

Soldato
2 x 480s in a Corsair 900D.

2700 RPM D5.

To be fair the load temps rise a little when my loop gets to equilibrium, closer to around 40ish with heavier CPU load.

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent temps, I wasn't aware that water-cooled systems could lower the temperature as efficiently as that. :)

They are incredibly effective. My system remains completely silent (except for my DDC which I am swapping for a D5), and both my CPU and GPU sit at around 40-45C when both fully loaded, the CPU will creep up to about 50C if I load both for long enough. The fans don't ramp up until my water temperature gets quite high, which never happens in use. I have quite a modest rad setup compared to @Sin_Chase, who's case and rad space are both massive.

2 x 480s in a Corsair 900D.

2700 RPM D5.

To be fair the load temps rise a little when my loop gets to equilibrium, closer to around 40ish with heavier CPU load.

That's some huge rad space mate, very nice. Mine's a Meshify C with two GTS slim rads, so I'm quite chuffed I'm anywhere near your temps. What's your spec? How are you finding the D5? I can't wait to swap over, but I'm too lazy to drain at the moment :p

Once you have gone custom loop you'll never go back!

Never a truer word spoken :D

Last edited:
Soldato
£650 for a GPU is pure technoherecy in my opinion!

Christ you must have soiled yourself when you saw 2080ti prices :D

For me, £600 is acceptable for the absolute top of the line consumer GPU. Imo the performance of the 2080ti barely justifies this, let alone an RRP of double.

Associate
Christ you must have soiled yourself when you saw 2080ti prices :D

For me, £600 is acceptable for the absolute top of the line consumer GPU. Imo the performance of the 2080ti barely justifies this, let alone an RRP of double.

I snorted rather loudly, and then started looking at cards with more realistic pricing. Performance is all well and good, but 6 months to a year down the line they'll release an even better card, and then you'll be tempted to buy in again. It never ends.

Soldato
They are incredibly effective. My system remains completely silent (except for my DDC which I am swapping for a D5), and both my CPU and GPU sit at around 40-45C when both fully loaded, the CPU will creep up to about 50C if I load both for long enough. The fans don't ramp up until my water temperature gets quite high, which never happens in use. I have quite a modest rad setup compared to @Sin_Chase, who's case and rad space are both massive.

That's some huge rad space mate, very nice. Mine's a Meshify C with two GTS slim rads, so I'm quite chuffed I'm anywhere near your temps. What's your spec? How are you finding the D5? I can't wait to swap over, but I'm too lazy to drain at the moment :p

Never a truer word spoken :D

Had the D5 on a 270Photon since I built the custom loop. Perhaps around 6 or 7 years now. Barely audible at a reasonable speed and plenty of grunt.

I've no massive restrictions and nothing too extreme. CPU, GPU and Aquaero LT4 Controller with a block on in the loop. I've historically ran SLI with it also with no issues.

Using a simple push fan configuration on each rad (top pushing up and side pushing out) front fan intake and rear extraction.

The fan controller was a solid move and really helps with noise. Watercooling it is overkill with the small demand I'm using it for but hey... Why not.

Soldato
I snorted rather loudly, and then started looking at cards with more realistic pricing. Performance is all well and good, but 6 months to a year down the line they'll release an even better card, and then you'll be tempted to buy in again. It never ends.

Yep, this is why I seem to have adopted the habit of buying used hardware a year or two old, and playing games from a similar time.

Honestly, with the OC I’ve managed under water, £330 for my 1080 felt like money really well spent. I literally saved thousands on my current system, and enjoyed the added bonus of not giving a penny to the companies overpricing their hardware.

@MurphyBrix, did you make a decision in the end mate?

Associate
OP
Yep, this is why I seem to have adopted the habit of buying used hardware a year or two old, and playing games from a similar time.

Honestly, with the OC I’ve managed under water, £330 for my 1080 felt like money really well spent. I literally saved thousands on my current system, and enjoyed the added bonus of not giving a penny to the companies overpricing their hardware.

@MurphyBrix, did you make a decision in the end mate?

Yeah it's just going to be stick with the 980ti for a while I think mate thanks for asking. With some of the big titles such as cyberpunk and now Vampire Masquerade coming out in the distance I'll wait and save my money and see what comes about.

With anything regarding technology holding on to your cash is a good option. Your gunna get better tech for your money when the time comes or similar tech for cheaper. I'm in no real rush it's just a shame some of the new titles will be a struggle but with the power for the money not being there it seems stupid to fork out. Hopefully my 980ti keeps going and doesn't conk now that would be crap lol.

Going to a 4k panel has been tempting so that could push the decision for a newer card sooner but with the price of some of the 4k monitors that has put me off as well.

Soldato
Yeah it's just going to be stick with the 980ti for a while I think mate thanks for asking. With some of the big titles such as cyberpunk and now Vampire Masquerade coming out in the distance I'll wait and save my money and see what comes about.

With anything regarding technology holding on to your cash is a good option. Your gunna get better tech for your money when the time comes or similar tech for cheaper. I'm in no real rush it's just a shame some of the new titles will be a struggle but with the power for the money not being there it seems stupid to fork out. Hopefully my 980ti keeps going and doesn't conk now that would be crap lol.

Going to a 4k panel has been tempting so that could push the decision for a newer card sooner but with the price of some of the 4k monitors that has put me off as well.

Don’t blame you; the 980ti is still a great card. The only reason I upgraded from my 980 was for high refresh @ 3440x1440.

Associate
OP
Don’t blame you; the 980ti is still a great card. The only reason I upgraded from my 980 was for high refresh @ 3440x1440.

My panel is 2560x1440 G-Sync so that has also limited my options quite abit with the nvidia cards being so expensive. Maybe a new card and 4k screen for 2025 . :D:D:D:D

Associate
My panel is 2560x1440 G-Sync so that has also limited my options quite abit with the nvidia cards being so expensive. Maybe a new card and 4k screen for 2025 . :D:D:D:D

Yeah, if you have a G-Sync monitor then you're basically stuck. I ended up going 4K by accident, as Amazon were out of stock of the 1440p monitor I had originally ordered, and so sent me the next nearest SKU... which just happened to be a 4K screen worth double what I actually paid! The trouble is, running 4K native is not easy without spending silly amounts of money these days, so I was fortunate that the Vega 56 can do it with some tweaking. I'm not going to lie, 4K is glorious if you can get it running at a decent frame rate, and I would find it hard to go back. :D

Soldato

Meh, I’m not desperately linked to G-sync, it’s nice and all but if I had to go back to 60Hz with no adaptive sync it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Honestly with a decent card above 100Hz, I doubt you’d be able to tell if it was on or not.

Would you consider second hand? I got what was once the most powerful consumer card on the market, for £330, put a block on it and got great clocks at a steady 45C. That’ll keep me until AMD release something more powerful, or a better Nvidia cats isba decent price second hand.

If I sell my 1080 you’re welcome to pick it up for cheap. Cross your fingers and hope I get the itch :D

EDIT: Just noticed you don’t have access to the MM. Start posting furiously mate! It’s a superb free forum that OCUK has for members of 6+ months with over 1,000 posts. It’s very active. I buy and sell my computer parts exclusively on the MM, and everyone I’ve dealt with has been an absolute legend. We’re very lucky to have it.

You’ll get access to game key sales and code giveaway forums too.

Associate
So I bit the second-hand bullet and grabbed an Asus Strix 1080 Ti off the 'bay as I don't have access to the members' market. £450. I figure it'll take me comfortably into 1440p@60/120 territory and beyond for a while, and in the meantime I can see how the market evolves. If better options emerge later this year I can't see it losing too much value, but eh, I'm tired of waiting.

Soldato
Following this thread - my 980Ti is starting to show its age now and while I still need to re-apply my overlock, I too have been looking for alternatives.
Currently gaming at 1440p with g-sync.

980Ti vs Vega 64 - https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2141?vs=2143
980Ti vs 1080Ti - https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2141?vs=2140
980Ti vs 2080 - https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2141?vs=2137
1080Ti vs Vega 64 - https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2140?vs=2143

It seem that the most sensible upgrade would be a 1080Ti, even if there are benifits to the 2080. My issue is the price, I too can't really drop that on a GPU atm.

Back
Top Bottom