When you order a takeaway for pick up…

Caporegime
So you order a takeaway that’s not on Deliveroo and collection only. You make the call but you ask your son or wife or friend to pick it up for you. Do you

1 - not tell the wife the name the order was booked under
2 - tell the wife the name it was booked under

Because I have encountered a lot of people collecting orders where they have no idea the names their order was booked under. Because they clearly been asked by their spouse or friend to collect it for them. One particular one a teenager came in to collect and he gave me a woman’s name. But it tuned out the woman put the order’s name under her husband. whom do not share the same surname. So the kid assumed it’s under the woman’s name. No order under that name. Asked for his name, no order under his name. He looks confused as heck.

When asked “do you know what is in the order?” In so to match it up, they go “I have no idea, I didn’t order it.”

Why do people do that?

Soldato
Why do people do that?
Cause people are ******* stupid. Also, they think because they order from you every now and again that you should remember them as if they are the only customer you ever have.

It’s similar to the mentality of the moron who goes into the pub he visits once in a blue moon and because he recognises the bar man promptly asks for the ‘usual’ while the bar man has no sodding clue who this throbber is or what his usual is.

Associate

Never heard that term before in the context used, but it made me laugh. :D

Talking to my local takeaway they always find people infuriating, those who call up with an order and then when asked by the restaurant; What sauce, salad, garnish, they have to go around asking each person in the household - the call ends up taking 10 minutes etc...

Surely you have this to hand before calling...

Caporegime
I guess people forget, surely simple enough to sort out in most cases - wife comes in, not under her name... "did you place the order?" "OK, what's your husband's name?"

No doubt this can cause a total faff though:

But it tuned out the woman put the order’s name under her husband. whom do not share the same surname. So the kid assumed it’s under the woman’s name. No order under that name. Asked for his name, no order under his name. He looks confused as heck.

Presumably a step kid with his (biological father's name)?

Or some hippies who decided that not only would husband and wife keep their own surnames after marriage but they'll come up with a new one for their kid.

Either way silly of the kid not to be a bit more proactive and mention "it could be under [mother's surname] or [(step)? dad's surname]"

Associate
this was very common back when my parents had a takeaway.. and we would refuse to give out any order until they can confirm the order is theirs.. such as calling the wife/husband/friend etc who initially made the order. Both parties may be unhappy with time wasted but then again its the customers fault for not giving out the correct information for the collection

Caporegime
OP
The best one I had was that someone made an order, it was around 2 bags’ worth and I handed it over. I got a call later telling me I gave him the wrong half. Apparently he went half with his friend and one half was his and he got the wrong food.

I didn’t know mind reading is a thing.

Caporegime
My main take away from this thread is Raymond lin works at a take away.

This is not what I expected.

I also now want to visit th takeawy to see the menus pictures

Man of Honour
Cause people are ******* stupid. Also, they think because they order from you every now and again that you should remember them as if they are the only customer you ever have.

It’s similar to the mentality of the moron who goes into the pub he visits once in a blue moon and because he recognises the bar man promptly asks for the ‘usual’ while the bar man has no sodding clue who this throbber is or what his usual is.

For some reason, Douglas Adams and the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal came to my mind.

You can reliably save yourself from the Beast by putting a towel over your head. Since you can't see the Beast, the Beast assumes it can't see you.

The comedy works because it's based on a truth - subjective assessment of a situation.

Back
Top Bottom