• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where Are Those 26 Core CPU's?

Associate
OP
how? 2 > 4 > 8 > 16 > 32 > ect...
or do you mean 2 > 4 > 6 > 8 > 10 > ect... (do we have 10, 12 or 14 core cpu's?)

It was a calculation of years.

As for your question, yes

Intel 14 Core Xeon Gold 5120 Server/Workstation CPU/Processor

Intel Xeon E5-2697V2 CPU (2.7GHz, 12 Core, 24 Threads, 30MB Cache, LGA

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor - (16 Core/32 Threads)

I found a 26 Core CPU :eek:

An Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8164 Processor
Launch Date: Q3'17

Last edited:
Soldato
how? 2 > 4 > 8 > 16 > 32 > ect...
or do you mean 2 > 4 > 6 > 8 > 10 > ect... (do we have 10, 12 or 14 core cpu's?)

I believe Broadwell-E introduced the first consumer 10 core CPU with the i7-6950X, and that was launched at nearly $1600 according to reviews. Intel then jumped up with Skylake under the i9 brand of up to 18 cores, which then seems to have stopped with the high end due to chasing AMD on the mainstream socket.

Permabanned
other than single and the AMD x3 line, was there any other odd core count cpu's?

i my mum had an phenom 2 x3 710 in an home pc for ever ago. it was a good idea but short lived

Soldato
Threadripper. I think they have gone quiet on 7nm Threadripper just because of the scale of awesome it is going to reach, but AMD could easily be releasing a 32 core desktop CPU this year. Obviously there is also EPyc... but I m not sure if that counts.

Soldato
Dualcore CPU's first came out in around 2006 but it's been some 13 years now since then, so doing some simple math, we arrive at 26 cores :D and if that was the case, we would have 52 when you add on the virtual cores...

So what's happened...?

We have 64 core CPU's with 128 threads now.
What what holds everything back is Windows.

Soldato
It really is about about time that MS got the issues with the Windows scheduler sorted once and for all. Linux has no such issues at all, so why with all the resources of MS can't they get it right :mad:
Because they've had no need to, not because they can't. MS and Intel have always been bedfellows and Intel haven't had CPUs with sufficiently high core counts for the Windows scheduler to cause a problem, so out of sight is out of mind. And with my limited experience, anybody who deploys servers with high core counts don't use Windows software.

Soldato
It really is about about time that MS got the issues with the Windows scheduler sorted once and for all. Linux has no such issues at all, so why with all the resources of MS can't they get it right :mad:

The issue with Microsoft is they do not want to. The company tries to sell its Server licences per CPU. With high count core CPU's in the server market they make a killing because is used on big fat workstations also not servers.

What would happen if Microsoft puts the Windows Server scheduler on the Desktop windows? With AMD on the roll churning out new high core/thread cpus at that speed, it would make the windows server for workstations usage null and void. The most lucrative of the MS sale portfolios, since it has lost a big chunk of proper servers to Linux.

You can see the tests from last year. Is the desktop scheduler having the issues, not the Windows server one.

Back
Top Bottom