Where can you still buy 1155 motherboards?!

Associate
My desktop just went pop during a power outage. 99% sure it's the motherboard as I can get the fans to spin up by connecting pins 16 and 17 together on the power supply.

I don't have a huge budget but I need something bloody quick as it's my studio PC and I'm writing new material all the time.

I can't afford to upgrade the rest of the pc (i7, 64gb ram) to a new chipset!

Man of Honour
You can still pick up some basic H61 boards brand new at a couple of retailers but they can be pricey. If you want anything like a Z77 board then you are stuck with whatever comes up on Ebay and they have been going for ridiculous prices.

Associate
Sorry to do this to you, but how do you know that the CPU is still working? It could be that both the Mobo & CPU are dead? The other possibility is that the PSU not working on all the voltage rails or that it will provide enough power to spin a fan, but a PC draws a lot of power, and it might be falling over then.

The other problem is that you really need another PC to be able to test each of the components individually.

This is perhaps one of those occasions when it might be worth paying a PC doctor, because buying a MOBO when the problem lies elsewhere is going to be an enormous waste of your money.

Associate
OP
Oh god I hope you're wrong

It's a fair point though. I might take the pc into work and see if the power supply will fire up another computer in the morning

Soldato
Sorry to do this to you, but how do you know that the CPU is still working? It could be that both the Mobo & CPU are dead? The other possibility is that the PSU not working on all the voltage rails or that it will provide enough power to spin a fan, but a PC draws a lot of power, and it might be falling over then.

The other problem is that you really need another PC to be able to test each of the components individually.

This is perhaps one of those occasions when it might be worth paying a PC doctor, because buying a MOBO when the problem lies elsewhere is going to be an enormous waste of your money.

Have fixed 100s of pc the chance of the mobo and cpu being faulty is so tiny it's non existent.. Also I've not seen a faulty cpu since p4d days..

Id test the psu before getting a new mobo that most likley to be faulty and easiest to test

Associate
OP
I
Have fixed 100s of pc the chance of the mobo and cpu being faulty is so tiny it's non existent.. Also I've not seen a faulty cpu since p4d days..

Id test the psu before getting a new mobo that most likley to be faulty and easiest to test

I hope you're right! I was under the impression that if the fans started when hooked the way I did then it was likely to be fine!

Soldato
I

I hope you're right! I was under the impression that if the fans started when hooked the way I did then it was likely to be fine!
Ah missed the fans bit, that make it more likley to be mobo, I have to admit I'd never bother doing that as I have spare psus so it takes seconds to test...

If psu fans spin with mobo and everything attached it's more likley the mobo, if mobo has to be unplugged for fans to spin I'd say it's more likley the psu.

See if any friendly ocuk forum member can test it for you? I'm Oxfordshire and can test for nothing if you come to me

Associate
OP
Ah missed the fans bit, that make it more likley to be mobo, I have to admit I'd never bother doing that as I have spare psus so it takes seconds to test...

If psu fans spin with mobo and everything attached it's more likley the mobo, if mobo has to be unplugged for fans to spin I'd say it's more likley the psu.

See if any friendly ocuk forum member can test it for you? I'm Oxfordshire and can test for nothing if you come to me

Fans spin if I connect pins 16 and 17 together using a paperclip. If it's plugged into the motherboard then I get nothing at all.

Are you saying in the scenario more likely it's the PSU or mobo?

I'm taking it into work in the hope of one of our IT chaps having a peak.

Thanks for the offer, it's really appreciated

Soldato
Fans spin if I connect pins 16 and 17 together using a paperclip. If it's plugged into the motherboard then I get nothing at all.

Are you saying in the scenario more likely it's the PSU or mobo?

I'm taking it into work in the hope of one of our IT chaps having a peak.

Thanks for the offer, it's really appreciated

29% PSU / 69% mobo (2% something else), the PSUs will some times only "not work" under load... you will get your answer from work so I think your problem is pretty much sorted!

if you are on windows 10 and its your mobo your next question is how to activate windows again...

Associate
OP
29% PSU / 69% mobo (2% something else), the PSUs will some times only "not work" under load... you will get your answer from work so I think your problem is pretty much sorted!

if you are on windows 10 and its your mobo your next question is how to activate windows again...

Back on windows 8 lol (don't get me started) I might use the opportunity to upgrade that while I'm there

Associate
So the verdict is the usual auction site is the best/only source?

As a very smart individual, I just bought a second graphics card for my main machine, so I can use SLI. Only to find out it's not capable as the second x16 slot only actually runs at x4... Dufus. So now I'm in the market for something better than my old p8p67le. But I've only just (late last year) put a 2700k in there, and have 16G of decent RAM so I'm not looking to upgrade the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom