Where can you still buy 1155 motherboards?!

Caporegime
So the verdict is the usual auction site is the best/only source?

As a very smart individual, I just bought a second graphics card for my main machine, so I can use SLI. Only to find out it's not capable as the second x16 slot only actually runs at x4... Dufus. So now I'm in the market for something better than my old p8p67le. But I've only just (late last year) put a 2700k in there, and have 16G of decent RAM so I'm not looking to upgrade the whole thing.
It will still work and, in all honesty, you'll likely not notice the difference.

Man of Honour
Thanks, that's what I had read. Looks like I'm going to be hitting up the auction site for (at least) a z68 board...

One thing to keep in mind is that Ivybridge cpu's which is what your 3770k is, brought with them a pci-e 3.0 controller (it's built into the cpu) so keep your eyes open for a Z77 board (launched with Ivybridge so is pci-e 3.0 compatible) or a Z68 board that is advertised as pci-e Gen 3 (a lot of them were just pci-e 2.0). Another thing to consider is that there is a slim chance that any Z68 board may need a bios flash before your 3770k will work in it so you would need access to a Sandybridge cpu to be able to flash the bios. Like I said, it's a slim chance but there are plenty of people that run the board as it came out of the box and never update the bios. If in doubt ask the seller before buying. I would also avoid any MSI board from these generations as they have a extremely high chance of bricking should you need to flash the bios. Stick with Asus or Gigabyte and you can't really go wrong.

Associate
Remeber that Z68 motherboard needed a bios update to take the ivybridge cpu's, personally i would go Z77.

One thing to keep in mind is that Ivybridge cpu's which is what your 3770k ...

Oh... I'm not the OP, I'm just some schmuck that hijacked the thread. I've actually got a 2700K in an ASUS P8P67LE board, I upgraded from an i5 2400 a year-ish back. I do wish I'd spent a bit extra on the 3770K now, just because of the PCIe Gen 3 thing. I also wish I'd spent the extra few bucks on the PRO version of the board way back when I first built the system! Them's the breaks I suppose.

Anyway, for me a Z68 is probably fine, I'm not ever going to buy another processor of that generation (Sandy/Ivy Brige). Though I'll get a Z75/Z77 if it's cheaper. Or even a P67 if there's one with a decent PCIe setup.

Associate
OP
New board fitted today and it booted without issue on initial trial. I'll fire it up properly and tidy up tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom