Poll: Where do you fit in? (IFS income percentile) (*net incomes only - do it correctly!*)

New poll - My net earnings are :

• Among the top 1% of earners

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • > 95% of the population

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • > 90% of the population

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • > 80% of the population

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • > 70% of the population

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • > 60% of the population

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • > 50% of the population

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • > 40% of the population

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 30% of the population

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • > 20% of the population

• > 10% of the population

• > 1% of the population

• Among the lowest 1% of earners

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Wow me and my gf are pretty high up considering we are both only 21.

>61% of the population. There must be a lot of very poor people in Britain because I swear we dont have that much money.

Very few people perceive themselves as having a lot of money. A rule of thumb is that pretty much everyone effectively defines "has a lot of money" as "has significantly more money than me". The more money you have, the more money you spend and ignore, so you still don't see yourself as having that much money.

I'm sure that if my income somehow doubled or tripled, I'd see myself as being very well off...for maybe as much as a year, until I got used to spending more on things I'd become accustomed to and therefore paid little attention to.

It works the other way around, too. I see myself as being OK financially. I spend a little less than I have, pretty much every month. It sometimes bothers me that I can't possibly save any useful amount as a buffer in case of emergencies, but I'm not constantly worrying about money any more. I don't even know my bank balance - I have enough, so it doesn't matter. Many people here would regard me as very poor and genuinely have no idea how I manage. I've no doubt that there are a fair few people here who get paid more in a week than I do in a month. They're very rich to me. I'm very poor to them. We probably all think we're financially OK but don't have that much money.

Associate
Very few people perceive themselves as having a lot of money. A rule of thumb is that pretty much everyone effectively defines "has a lot of money" as "has significantly more money than me". The more money you have, the more money you spend and ignore, so you still don't see yourself as having that much money.

I'm sure that if my income somehow doubled or tripled, I'd see myself as being very well off...for maybe as much as a year, until I got used to spending more on things I'd become accustomed to and therefore paid little attention to.

It works the other way around, too. I see myself as being OK financially. I spend a little less than I have, pretty much every month. It sometimes bothers me that I can't possibly save any useful amount as a buffer in case of emergencies, but I'm not constantly worrying about money any more. I don't even know my bank balance - I have enough, so it doesn't matter. Many people here would regard me as very poor and genuinely have no idea how I manage. I've no doubt that there are a fair few people here who get paid more in a week than I do in a month. They're very rich to me. I'm very poor to them. We probably all think we're financially OK but don't have that much money.

Agree 100% with what you say.

Man of Honour
Some people are definitely not using their net earnings here, which is skewing the results big time.

For instance, mine comes out 88% if I don't do it right, but 66% if I do.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Or maybe the demographic of OCUK forum members is vastly different to the UK as a whole?

No I really don't think it's just that, there are people in here that have salaries and outgoings identical to mine (I know their pay and circumstances) that are getting it wrong.

I assume that it's not just those people getting it wrong.

Associate
The missus and myself are full time students with a 15h job working at Maccas (we live alone rented)

Top 44% apparently. 6k loan each and 5k McDs each (theres a 4.5 month gap in the summer where we work full time)

Probably true. We live within our mean and being frugal over rent, food and other things gives us a lot of 'happy cash' :D

Caporegime
I think it's broken though, isn't it? I think if your salary is greater than 70 or 80k it puts you in the top 1%. I can't remember the specifics but it put us in the top 1% but even lowering our salaries significantly still kept us in the top 1%. IIRC that 'trigger' was 70 or 80k. Maybe someone with more time could test it.

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;21501050 said:
I think it's broken though, isn't it? I think if your salary is greater than 70 or 80k it puts you in the top 1%. I can't remember the specifics but it put us in the top 1% but even lowering our salaries significantly still kept us in the top 1%. IIRC that 'trigger' was 70 or 80k. Maybe someone with more time could test it.

It takes into account more than just salary, and are you remembering to only consider net?

Back
Top Bottom