Where do you get your tyres from

Man of Honour
By the time I'd bought my last set online then taken them plus the bike to the garage and paid them to fit them I was only saving maybe £20 at most, so I just got them from the garage in the end.

They're a decent outfit and who I use for the odd job I can't be bothered/haven't got the kit to do myself so I don't mind giving them the cash.

Soldato
OP
I have all the tools needed to change tyres, bead breaker, mojo bar, balancer, Mostly diy made but they do the job and save a bit of cash. It's just getting the time to do it.

Soldato
OP
Or you're over paying for tyres :)

Guess it all depends what tyres you're getting, if I wanted brand new supercorsa's it would be nearer the £250-60 mark.

Soldato
Or you're over paying for tyres :)
Guess it all depends what tyres you're getting, if I wanted brand new supercorsa's it would be nearer the £250-60 mark.
Old bike, so I have to use Crossply. Avon stopped making the good ones and, TBH, the Metzelers are actually worth it on that thing!

Soldato
How much??!!

A set of tyres for mine costs £270 fitted, at the local Ride-In place... I have to ride in, as they're my only wheels, but still... That's a fair price, right there!!

I guess you're paying a bit of labour to take the wheels off, change, balance and put them back on, plus markup on the tyres.

I normally just order the tyres, paid around £180 for Pirelli Angels last time, then I take the wheel and pay just for fit & balance

Soldato
I guess you're paying a bit of labour to take the wheels off, change, balance and put them back on, plus markup on the tyres.
Ja, no choice, as I have to use the bike to get 'em there. It's a good business though, been there for years and everyone recommends them even over the mobile guys. I don't think I'd fully trust anyone else to do it.

At around £240 a set from just about anywhere that still stocks them, plus postage, plus transport cost to/from the place, plus fitting charges, my place is cheaper to order through at only £10 per wheel, including fitting, balance and laser alignment... and the guy even likes my bike!

Soldato
Local dealer does a nice price for mine and free fitting and balancing also a cup of tea thrown in.

When your older and done the rounds with most dealers things become much easier and cheaper.

Man of Honour
Whys that? Bought 14 (car) tyres from them (4 orders) and not had any trouble? Good price, good products, fast shipping.

e; just seen that this I in the bike section, don't mind me! Still curious though

Sent him the completely wrong tyre and then made it a pain in the bum to return it so he just kept it in the end I think, even though the one they sent was more expensive than the one ordered so they were losing money.

That's if I remember correctly.

Soldato
Sent him the completely wrong tyre and then made it a pain in the bum to return it so he just kept it in the end I think, even though the one they sent was more expensive than the one ordered so they were losing money.

So far a lot more people have had positive experiences with them than negative ones. Inevitably there will be the occasional problem, there will certainly be people that have experience problems with Oponeo and other tyre sellers.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Whys that? Bought 14 (car) tyres from them (4 orders) and not had any trouble? Good price, good products, fast shipping.

e; just seen that this I in the bike section, don't mind me! Still curious though

Kind of, I've sent them back along with the details and pictures. They sent them back, I've sent them back again and after they resent it I refused to take the order from that time It was just a massive loop... After 3 months, I've 'finally' managed to get my money back.

The other time was, my dad ordered a set of tyres from there, they sent 3 tyres, one of them was a wrong size and model. 1 was missing, he waited like a month to get it sorted.

Another time they sent 3 correct tyres and we had to wait 2-3 weeks for the 4th.

With oponeo on the other hand, I made an order in the afternoon and the next day evening a courier showed up. I didn't expect such a quick delivery! :eek: So yeah, I'm going to use Oponeo from now on, if anyone wants to take their chances with Tyreleader you're welcome to do so. Have fun in dealing with their CS! :D

Last edited:
Associate
While on the topic of tyres and a few of you saying you do them yourselves you've not got me interested.

From what I can work out if I were to buy everything to change a tyre I'd need:

Rim Protectors: £6
Tyre Wrench (set of two): £13 for set
Bead Breaker: Vary hugely in price and none particularly cheap
Valve Remover Tool: £5

Sub-Total: £49

...and to balance the wheel:
A wheel balancer: £30

Total: £80

How much it costs to get a tyre fitted locally £20-30? so If I were to change three of my own tyres I'd be quids in?

Am I missing anything?

Soldato
While on the topic of tyres and a few of you saying you do them yourselves you've not got me interested.

From what I can work out if I were to buy everything to change a tyre I'd need:

Rim Protectors: £6
Tyre Wrench (set of two): £13 for set
Bead Breaker: Vary hugely in price and none particularly cheap
Valve Remover Tool: £5

Sub-Total: £49

...and to balance the wheel:
A wheel balancer: £30

Total: £80

How much it costs to get a tyre fitted locally £20-30? so If I were to change three of my own tyres I'd be quids in?

Am I missing anything?

True and after 20 plus years even more quids in I dont change mine now to lazey.

Friend of mine made a bead breaker we all used, also the heal of your foot and rubber hammer will do the trick big vice e.t.c list goes on.

Last edited:
Soldato
A tyre changed on a loose wheel is normally around £10-15. Depends how many tyres you go through I suppose. twice a year would make it a while before it starts paying for itself.

Back
Top Bottom