Where do you guys buy your $50 gift cards from?

Soldato
Pretty surprised that fraud is such an allowable discussion on Overclockers of all places!

When it comes to providing a false address maybe, but I don't see anything wrong in buying a $ gift card with PayPal from a site and using the Xbox settings to change your location to the US.

The means are there, if MS have a problem with it then it would be easy enough for them to patch it out. At the end of the day, it's still revenue for them, and you could argue that people spend more money this way than they would otherwise.

(just to note, I've never used any of these region-changing schemes as I buy very few games in the first place, but the methods do intrigue me. I tend to buy cheap £GBP points cards)

Soldato
OP
who says anything about changing regions? my browser takes me to the US xbox site for some reason by default :)

sounds to me like some people are struggling with the instructions listed above if they are changing console settings

Last edited:
Soldato
who says anything about changing regions? my browser takes me to the US xbox site for some reason by default :)

sounds to me like some people are struggling with the instructions listed above if they are changing console settings

Your browser is probably redirecting you as you will have your account set to US by default. Mine was too for some reason on the Xbox site, even though my Xbox One was set to the UK.

You can achieve the same thing in the Xbox system settings, and in any case, it's easier to browse the game marketplace and get accurate pricing on the console rather than the website.

Soldato
OP
Your browser is probably redirecting you as you will have your account set to US by default. Mine was too for some reason on the Xbox site, even though my Xbox One was set to the UK.

You can achieve the same thing in the Xbox system settings, and in any case, it's easier to browse the game marketplace and get accurate pricing on the console rather than the website.

ah ok, I'll check it out

Cheers

Soldato
FYI, I did not change my Xbox Region (not is it needed).

I just bought my USD Credit from a website offgamers.com, signed into the US version of Xbox.com and it allowed me to apply the USD code and buy in USD.

My missus then goes into my Xbox which is still in UK Region to download my purchased game. Not sure if this can be classed as fraud but more of a loophole. MS still gets my money, but in USD for a digital content they're currently selling at the same pricing but in GBP - which I find crazy as they're from the same servers!

Soldato
OP
well i've never read anything in their terms and conditions which state

"users are not able to change their region in order to access foreign stores to save money"

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/my-account/manage-account/change-region

It's a grey area, because if you import goods from abroad you pay import duty. Digital content has no import duty afaik? If it does, then Microsoft needs to be implementing it.

I'd also like to know why UK digital prices are more expensive than physical copies?

Soldato
So to clarify, if you buy content from the US Xbox Live on a UK console, do you have to change the region on the console to access the games? Or do they work even if your region is set to UK?

Soldato
OP
So to clarify, if you buy content from the US Xbox Live on a UK console, do you have to change the region on the console to access the games? Or do they work even if your region is set to UK?

no, you don't have to touch the console (unless you would rather redeem your code and buy games on it rather than the website, it's up to you). To redeem a US gift card, and buy games using $ you need to go to the US store (either via the website, or the console). If you want to access the US store on the console, then yes you need to change the region. You can change it back afterwards and the game will still show up.

personally, I like to buy the games from the website but it's your choice

once you have purchased the game, it's linked to your gamertag. It doesn't matter what region you are on.

Soldato
Interesting, so it appears now when you sign in to the US site it no longer redirects you to your correct region? It always used to send me to the UK site on signing in, now it just stays on the US version if that's where I've come from originally.

Soldato
OP
Interesting, so it appears now when you sign in to the US site it no longer redirects you to your correct region? It always used to send me to the UK site on signing in, now it just stays on the US version if that's where I've come from originally.

I've always gone to the US one. You can fix it by changing the part after xbox.com to xbox.com/en-gb

Soldato
I'd also like to know why UK digital prices are more expensive than physical copies?

The Digital vs Physical pricing has always been argued that you can get the digital content now vs going to a shop. Back on the 360, where contents are about 4GB, that's acceptable as an argument.

Now when downloads are over 20GB, it's a lesser argument point and MS can really learn from Steam Sales. Impulse buy on digital goods can only be a plus for their account - less licencing and publisher fees are stupid.

My main concern is the frequent trend of direct USB for GBP pricing, such is the case for Diablo 3 RoS. I mean really?! 34.99USB vs 35.99GBP - Digital is now via Internet, where apart from local tax at point of purchase, the cost is exactly the same for MS (+/- Regional server cost), so why the price difference? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I digress. This loophole is a good one for anyone looking to get some bargains. Still got $15.00, so one good game from the actual Black Friday sales will do me fine for awhile then.

Soldato
I tried clicking it, looks like it's a preview till the 28th before it's available with the advertised discount.

Season 1 and 2 of Walking Dead is tempting...

Soldato
Seems like those 2 sets of offers for XBO is all the offers available.

Still got $15 left and nothing tempting.

Do we know if buying for the Xbox 360 works too?

Soldato
It prompted me to put in us billing address details on the us website before it would let me use the prepaid code. I used delaware and postcode above and used a random phone number for a hotel in delaware. Seems to have worked though, destiny dlc is showing as installed and i have my tumblr sparrow for it :D

Soldato
On a related note does would anyone know why when I try and purchase something from the US site (with $ credit already on my account) it only lets me choose Paypal (or add new CC) as payment? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom