Where do you plan to be 10 years from now?

Soldato
I have a pretty damn good idea exactly where I'll be in ten years time.

But for the sake of the thread, I'll be living in Japan and married to a beautiful Kyushuu (or possibly Kansai) girl. I'll also be working as a professional beer drinker. :cool:

Associate
In ten years time I will have just over 10 years left to getting a 66% final salary, index linked, pension. Working for the Civil Service will have finally paid off.

Also all those born after the 60's will have to slave until their 70's to pay for it ;)

Soldato
I'll have been well-settled in a career for a good time before then, so I suppose at 32 I'll be at the ripe age for marriage :eek:

As others have said though, so long as I'm happy that's the main thing. Material posessions are nice but they shouldn't be the sole focus.

Don
Rightio, my turn, I dont know is the honest answer... do have dreams about where I would like to be, but being 27 and now knowing what I know, I dont want to aim too high

Stelly

Associate
I'd like to be well into a research career at the University of Cambridge
Small world - me too! In ten years time I'd like to have a long term fellowship at a college, be lecturing a course I think is important and to be producing research I'm proud of. At the mo I feel overwhelmed with how much I don't know, so I'd like to look back over my current publications and say "how naive I was!".

Man of Honour
I don't have a 10 year plan.

My life has changed so much in the last 10 years, and turned out differently to how I expected. Likewise the previous 10 years had a few unforseen surprises which had a big impact on my life.

The funny thing is that although I've never been one for (life) planning for the long term future, I'm also not the type to live for moment. I am (reasonably) frugal wth money and have very loose general ideas about my future - but nothing concrete. I'm 28 and still don't really know what I want to do career wise (I at least have some sort of possible career path now, but is that really what I want? Just because I can progress this way, maybe I'm better suited to something else?).

Maybe that means I'm a bit aimless as I am neither 'living life 2 da max' nor have everything carefully mapped out for the coming years. What's the point in being careful and saving money if I don't have an ultimate goal in mind? Maybe I should start to think about trying to expand my life experiences, blow loads of cash on extravagant holidays and week-long benders if I'm not saving up for anything in particular.

It's still too tough to call though. I'm getting married next year and if we are going to have kids, realistically they will have been born in 10 years time. Is that something I will want? Not right now but how will I feel in 3 or 4 years? Maybe I still won't want them. How will that affect my marriage?

Associate
In 10 years, I plan to have a degree, be living in the US (preferably LA because it's hot, sunny, and my ideal job is there), be working for an american aerospace company ie. Boeing or Lockheed (I currently work for EADS, one of their competitors), and hopefully I would've written a novel. I also want to have seen other parts of the world, such as Japan.

Soldato
I will be 27, its crazy even thinking about that!

In 10 years I hope to have a nice house, 2 kids and a stable job.

Not too much to ask is it :confused:

Back
Top Bottom