Where to get nice steaks from?

Soldato
I want steak like you get in a pub. So 12oz to 16oz pieces. Pub steaks always tend to be decent quality, fairly lean and thick. And considering the added items and profit margin in a pub, £15 for a steak meal is pretty good value.

Compare that to what you get from a supermarket. Thin, small pieces with too much fat on, and at a high price for the raw product compared to my perceived value from a pub for a cooked product with trimmings.

I have tried the butcher with little success. It still seems to be thin fatty pieces and although the price is better than the supermarket I'm not overly impressed.

I just want a nice thick 16oz rump piece for a reasonable price. Where?

Soldato
OP
You do realise that all rump steak comes from that rough area round its hip bone? Hence why its called "Rump"

Are you sure you arent after a different cut from elsewhere?

Yes but why it's called rump steak in supermarkets and in pubs, and labelled as hip bone steak in the butchers, makes me think I'm not getting the right thing. The butcher does hip bone steak or sirloin basically. This is a major high street butcher.

Soldato
OP
I like sirloin but it loathes me paying for that big streak of rind on the edge that I don't eat. I do really like rump but only if it's tender and that is perhaps 80% of the problems I have with it. Pub steaks always seem to be tender enough for me except on the rarest of occasions. The reason I like a big steak is that if a bit of it is tough, there is still usually enough left that is tender.

On fat, I don't mind marbling if it's still soft and chewable. It's when you get a hard bit of fat I don't like.

What's the best way of cooking a thick 16oz rump steak in a standard kitchen?

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom