Where to get nice steaks from?

Caporegime
Yeah, I get that they have to make a living but as a consumer I wouldn't say that was good value. Especially for a steak dinner which can be so easily replicated at home.

Good value for eating out I assume he meant. Since every "viable" restaurant works roughly on the basis that the cost of ingredients shouldn't be more than a third of sell out price, £15-£20 is good value depending on the quality of the steak used.

The addage that it can be done much cheaper at home applies to everything. I make a fantastic home made pizza for under £1.50 yet costs at least a fiver from the pizza shop. Poor value there, I demand 12" pizzas for £2 please.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Can't pay those prices. This is just for my dinners at home. All I want to do is replicate a reasonably standard pub steak.

Learn how to cook steak, and buy steak you can afford from different places until you are great at cooking steak & have found a good source of steak that tastes like it does in the pub?

I imagine most places get the cheapest steak from their local cash and carry so can't be too hard to find, except its probably halal too if its the cheapest.

Man of Honour
Can't pay those prices. This is just for my dinners at home. All I want to do is replicate a reasonably standard pub steak.

most pubs will buy teh cheapest stake they can so just buy it from anywhere, and how often are you buying steak to not be ablle to afford decent quality.

if you are eating several times a week onglet/skirt etc are great cheap alternatives to the usual steaks and often have more flavour as well.

Associate
There is no doubt some of the 40+ day matured steaks direct from the farmer mentioned here are going to be pretty amazing but the OPs asking how to recreate a £15 steak dinner at home for a reasonable cost.

You just need to shop around for a butcher you're happy with and also try a few different cuts. As for cooking it I'm sure you'll get 100 different suggestions here but for me I just rub a small amount of oil on each side of the steak (let the steak come up to room temperature from the fridge before cooking), a GOOD pinch of salt and pepper, then into a smoking, dry griddle pan for 3-31/2 minutes each side (based on around 1" thickness), and then let rest for 5 minutes before plating up.

Soldato
Any cut of meat aged longer than 21-28 won't have much more flavour or tenderness. 21-28 days seems to be the plateau when it comes to steaks or beef in general. It's all down to leaving out of the fridge for as long as you can before cooking then it's down to the resting period after cooking. Hot and quick.

As for what cut or where to get it from without breaking the bank, can't go wrong with Morrisons to be honest. The butchers there will cut to order for you, any type of meat you may ask for that they have in stock or on sale. Rib steak all the way, fattier the better.

Associate
Another vote for Aldi.

Tesco, Morrisons, Asda I have had them all but Aldi has been the best by far.

Apparently they get the meat from the same place as Marks and Sparcs

Man of Honour
I'm being forced into being pancake chef tomorrow so I might treat myself to some steak while I'm in Aldi picking up the bits for that, it'll ease the pain of spending the night with hyperactive kids hopped up on sugar :o

Back
Top Bottom