Where to get nice steaks from?

Soldato
I leanr't how to cook by my Mom years ago - That's why for years all my steaks were tacked onto sole of my boots - 25min is far to long.

After I got hang of it I started getting them from local farm shop - I use Sirloin and got really nicely cooked steaks - Then I had one bad batch from farm shop so tried Lidl.

If you pick though freezer you can find some nice ones and tonight's I said to wife I will cook this for 1 1/2 min each side - chickened out and did 55sec each side - wrapped in foil and put in warming oven till chips were ready - Perfect for me -Pink with slight smear of blood on plate - Very nice

My steaks are about 225g each -I can't eat more than that.

Soldato
I want steak like you get in a pub. So 12oz to 16oz pieces. Pub steaks always tend to be decent quality, fairly lean and thick. And considering the added items and profit margin in a pub, £15 for a steak meal is pretty good value.

Compare that to what you get from a supermarket. Thin, small pieces with too much fat on, and at a high price for the raw product compared to my perceived value from a pub for a cooked product with trimmings.

I have tried the butcher with little success. It still seems to be thin fatty pieces and although the price is better than the supermarket I'm not overly impressed.

I just want a nice thick 16oz rump piece for a reasonable price. Where?

try cosco

Soldato
#5 is such a good point. I prefer ribeye because it has more fat and thus more flavour. But trying to eat that rare wouldn't be much fun. Truth told though I've never ordered a ribeye over medium-rare though. I'd be too scared it'll end up well-done. Don't want to take that chance!

I'll never forget the time I went to Hawksmoor with my (new at the time) co-workers. My boss, and the most senior person in the group ordered fillet steak, butterflied and well-done. I wanted to slap them round the face with it :(:mad:

Man of Honour
fillet well done. god more money than sense and totally agree, blue is not always best. It depends on the cut how much fat how its distributed.

which is why i still rate rump so highly, nice fat layer on the outside that if you stand teh stea up you can render down and make delicious and then a pretty lean rest of the steak that can be done reasonably rare.

Associate
Because of this thread, I tried a couple of the steaks from Lidl yesterday (I normally only buy supermarket steak from M&S). Went for rib eye and fillet as they were the best looking ones in the meat fridge. Cooked on the BBQ, I was impressed. Good flavour from the rib eye although a little thin, and the fillet was very good. Lovely and tender and decent flavour for a fillet. Would buy again :).

Soldato
Few weeks ago I bought a couple of gorgeous Sirloins from the best of the local butchers. Lovely they were.

Expensive, though, at £15 the pair (£30/kg), so followed up the next week with two from Lidl @ £9 for two. Mrs Cheesyboy preferred the Lidl ones, I favoured the Butchers ones, but not enough to pay the premium.

BTW, I've enjoyed steak so much more since reading on here (I forget who posted it, unfortunately) about dry-brining the steak at room temp for a few hours prior to cooking. And then following up with coating in melted butter before resting in a warm oven. It's changed my steak life (previously just chucked them in a pan, no seasoning: was crap).

Soldato
I don't usually think supermarket steaks are great, but grabbed a Sainsburys taste the difference fillet steak the other day and oh my it was amazing. I don't know if it was the steak or if I just managed to season and cook it perfectly for once but it was so good, I would have been pleased if i had ordered steak in a restaurant and received that.

Soldato
Ordered an Argentinian meat feast box from Tom Hixons, waiting for it to turn up today. https://www.tomhixson.co.uk/argentine-meat-feast-box.html

20170428_161524_zps06g8ezxp.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I leanr't how to cook by my Mom years ago - That's why for years all my steaks were tacked onto sole of my boots - 25min is far to long.

After I got hang of it I started getting them from local farm shop - I use Sirloin and got really nicely cooked steaks - Then I had one bad batch from farm shop so tried Lidl.

If you pick though freezer you can find some nice ones and tonight's I said to wife I will cook this for 1 1/2 min each side - chickened out and did 55sec each side - wrapped in foil and put in warming oven till chips were ready - Perfect for me -Pink with slight smear of blood on plate - Very nice

My steaks are about 225g each -I can't eat more than that.

When you say freeze do you mean the mat was frozen?

I've always found frozen steak is ruined. It loses it's flavour and texture.

Associate
When you say freeze do you mean the mat was frozen?

I've always found frozen steak is ruined. It loses it's flavour and texture.

I find the same they lose all their juice once cooked you can see it when you rest them.
I really like Costco steaks but they only come in packs of 4 so at least 2 would need to be frozen.

Soldato
Hey Bear, that looks DECENT. Would be interested in getting your opinion on this little treat and if you think it is worth it.

I've bought meat from Tom Hixons before and it's all really good quality and full of flavour. If you haven't eaten Argentinean beef before , it's delicious. We had some rib eye on Saturday and it was superb.

It seems expensive but IMO it's worth it. Each joint comes as one large slab of meat so you have to cut it into portions but thats no big deal

Back
Top Bottom