Where To Move House To In The UK?

Associate
OP
Not strong at all. Moving to England and then deciding you dont want to live in a town that's too English is a complete joke. If an English person proclaimed they didn't want to live somewhere because it was too full of Polish people, they'd be vilified as racist on here in an instant.

So if an English person proclaimed they didn't want to live somewhere because it's too Polish would that be a joke too? From my experience most English people would be happy living around Poles - but their tone changes when you replace Poles with Africans/Asians. It's totally understandable though, and it would be considered strange if someone wanted to live away from their tribe as opposed within it.

Someone above in the comments said their girlfriend is Polish and prefers to live around English people... that is strange, as in, out-of-the-ordinary. If she was Polish and wanted to live around Poles then that is completely within the boundaries of typical human nature and shouldn't have to carry an explanation.

What you are pointing out is an inconsistency of political correctness which is an inconsistent idiology as it OKs one group's views whilst slamming another's despite the statements of both being the same!

Man of Honour
My favourite is the new development in Keynsham, literally the subject of the email 'New Starter homes for First Time Buyers, from £340,000!'. Cooooooooool.

Yeah you'd have to go a bit further out than Keynsham - was looking casually at property prices in Keynsham a few weeks back as I might have a work opportunity Bristol way next year - ouch they've gone up since I last looked :S albeit quite a way out of Bristol but a pretty stunning new build near me http://www.wyatthomes.co.uk/yeovil/brimsmore/description/ though you won't get in at 250K any more as all those options got snapped up.

The OP is looking for some young wimmin, and Bristol is a great party capital for that. Lots of clubs in town and dance venues in/out of town, of which one is on a boat moored on the seafront :D Bath is for the old middle-aged farts like us two :p

I'll try and find a pic from Saturday night :O

Been awhile since I've partied in Bristol though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Loughborough always seems full of students whenever I drive through, not that far from Nottingham but may be cheaper (nice countryside that way).

I would have thought your main consideration would be areas with other friends / family for your mum? You can live in the nicest area in the world but if you're lonely it will still feel awful.

It's a good night out, and it's full of students as the University (which is excellent) is about the only thing in the place :p.

Associate
Cardiff is a great city. As a military brat I had the pleasure in living in various places around the UK and since moving here to to Cardiff for university I have never felt the urge to leave.

Plenty of investment currently being pumped into the city. House prices are rising pretty quickly mind so be quick!

Caporegime
So if an English person proclaimed they didn't want to live somewhere because it's too Polish would that be a joke too? From my experience most English people would be happy living around Poles - but their tone changes when you replace Poles with Africans/Asians. It's totally understandable though, and it would be considered strange if someone wanted to live away from their tribe as opposed within it.

Someone above in the comments said their girlfriend is Polish and prefers to live around English people... that is strange, as in, out-of-the-ordinary. If she was Polish and wanted to live around Poles then that is completely within the boundaries of typical human nature and shouldn't have to carry an explanation.

What you are pointing out is an inconsistency of political correctness which is an inconsistent idiology as it OKs one group's views whilst slamming another's despite the statements of both being the same!

What a load of crap. As has been said, if your mother doesn't like living amongst English people why move to England? There's a very simple solution...250k would buy a lot of house in Poland.

Soldato
Im struggling with the same choice.

Have so far looked at sheffield, leeds, brighton. Sheffield is right out, leeds was really nice and is a serious option, but very far north...brighton was nice but the traffic/parking ruled it out completely for me.

Going to go look at manchester soon, perhaps nottingham too.

Really hard to choose somewhere to move to,

Soldato
down here in cornwall is a total lifestyle change been here nearly 3 years . full on rural where i am is pretty cheap . close to port issac , boscastle ,tintagel with polzeath and padstow just down the road . 200 ft plot with outbuildings on a hillside at less than half your budget
genuinly does feel like a ho;liday on my 4 day weekends
loads of polish as well where i work in launceston anyway(learnining polish at the moment)

Last edited:
Soldato
down here in cornwall is a total lifestyle change been here nearly 3 years . full on rural where i am is pretty cheap . close to port issac , boscastle ,tintagel with polzeath and padstow just down the road . 200 ft plot with outbuildings on a hillside at less than half your budget
genuinly does feel like a ho;liday on my 4 day weekends
loads of polish as well where i work in launceston anyway(learnining polish at the moment)

I would never suggest anyone under 30 move to cornwall unless theyre already married with kids :o

OP also mentioned good employment opportunities :o

Associate
What a load of crap. As has been said, if your mother doesn't like living amongst English people why move to England? There's a very simple solution...250k would buy a lot of house in Poland.

English people (and Americans, and whoever) do exactly that all the time when moving to another country. Having a decent local community of other people you can relate to is one of the top considerations for most people choosing a place to live in another country.

Given a choice, would I prefer to move to a place with 2 other English people I can talk to, or 200? Of course I'd prefer the latter. Because those 2 people might be *****. :p

Caporegime
English people (and Americans, and whoever) do exactly that all the time when moving to another country. Having a decent local community of other people you can relate to is one of the top considerations for most people choosing a place to live in another country.

Given a choice, would I prefer to move to a place with 2 other English people I can talk to, or 200? Of course I'd prefer the latter. Because those 2 people might be *****. :p

That sweeping generalisation you're making there has already been discussed and dismissed earlier in the thread and revealed to be crap.

Soldato
Another Norfolker here, Norwich is nice but not too sure on house prices, cant be cheap?

I live about 30 miles away near sandringham, I've always liked it.

If shes Eastern Euro she'll love Wisbech.... :rolleyes::D

Was walking through Kings Lynn town center earlier today, the amount of people speaking with a 'slavic tongue' was incredible, any town of a modest size in norfolk definitely has a large eastern euro/ russian population.

Although saying that most of the eastern supermarkets have closed down from what I can see, at least 2-3 have gone in the last 6 months.

Anywhere outside of the town its pretty much just swampies though.

Back
Top Bottom