Where's my water?

Associate
Hi all,
New loop working fine physically, but my 4790k is jumping to 95c when under load while the wayer itself is around 30c. This makes me think I have either built the block wrong, mounted it poorly or have it in the wrong alignment. The GPUs are only hitting 40c under load.

F5yW3GP.jpg

I have opened the top of the res and turned the t valve at the bottom right and the res drained immediately, but i am sure there is a lot more water still in it (the bottom res is obviously full still) but can any experts in fluid dynamics indicate whether i can open up any fittings to get it out?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hang on. I can just unscrew the lower res and elevate the rear side can't I? That will 'overload' that res and push the water into the reservoir right?

Edit: i keep typing res but i mean rad.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the orientation of the loop? Water flows up through GPU's into CPU block?

Is the CPU overclocked?

With regards to water just remove one pipe from the pump (Plug up the hole) and blow into it which will force all the water through the loop and out the drain port.

Once the pipes are removed from the CPU block put a some rag or tissue to ensure it doesn't drip onto any components.

Soldato
this is all theory only on my part.....still trying to learn the basics before I build my own loop so may be totally wrong......

what's you water flow direction? by any chance is it coming from the res to the gpus then on to the cpu? in which case could that be why the gpu's are cooled fine but the cpu isn't - it is getting the warmed water from the gpus flowing over it?

Soldato
this is all theory only on my part.....still trying to learn the basics before I build my own loop so may be totally wrong......

what's you water flow direction? by any chance is it coming from the res to the gpus then on to the cpu? in which case could that be why the gpu's are cooled fine but the cpu isn't - it is getting the warmed water from the gpus flowing over it?

The difference between the temperature of the water entering the GPU and leaving the GPU will be a couple of degrees at most. Its a non issue.

Caporegime
If your CPU is much hotter than your GPUs under load your problem is either:

Poorly mounted CPU block
Air trapped in CPU block

You don't need to drain your loop to fix either.

Associate
OP
Hi guys. Thank you for the input - i wish i had read Minstadave's comment first ;)
In the end I did drain the loop, taking the long tube from the bottom rad out and dumping the water into a bowl next to the case. Plugged it with my thumb as soon as i could but a little bit of spillage occurred into the radiator itself. As the case isolated this area from the other components i was not too worried. A lot of blowing later and the upper rad was clear.of water.

I then removed the cpu block and took it apart, to find that i had fitted the jet plate parallel instead of perpendicular to the fins. Rorated that, and then set the cpu block from vertical to horizontal alignment as well.

Temps are now 83c at load under aida64 test, so i am very happy. Bit annoyed that the EK manual only mentions the jet plate orientation in the Amd fitting section, as i ignored it!

As a side note, my pci-e power cable came loose, rendering the 2nd gfx card unable to start in windows. Absolutely pooped myself thinking i had killed the card somehow
Thankfully windows still showed that it qas there so i knew it wasnt dead dead. Cable management can have a downside!

Thank you all for your help.

Associate
OP
Oh and yes the water goes pump - gpus - cpu - res1 - res2. I have been advised that to maximise delta in temps (between room and rad) i would better off alternating components with rads, but I am too tired and wary to consider rejigging it yet ;)

Soldato
Oh and yes the water goes pump - gpus - cpu - res1 - res2. I have been advised that to maximise delta in temps (between room and rad) i would better off alternating components with rads, but I am too tired and wary to consider rejigging it yet ;)
It doesn't make a noticeable difference as long as your flow rate is adequate.

Associate

Your tubing looks neat and easy enough to work on.
You will gain nothing worthwhile changing the order.

I would leave it alone and enjoy it.

Looks like a nice build :)

Associate
Seeing a lot of people keep saying this, it simply makes such a small difference it not worth any hassle, just go for whatever is the most easy/efficient way to route your loop.

Soldato

No my main concern here was not if it was going from one component to another as others have said it makes minimal difference in any orientation. My main concern was that it did not go CPU-GPU as the CPU block has a dedicated in and out port which would cause poor performance.

But as you have stated your loop order is fine. Glad all is well and you have sorted it.

83c in my opinion is still a little toasty, any kind of CPU overclock here?

Soldato
Yeah does seem high. Whats your ambient temp? For the rads he using id expecting below 70c. Where are the fans on the top rad?

Back
Top Bottom