Where's the plug socket?

Associate
Hi all,

Foolishly, I have put some huge IKEA wardrobes song one wall in my bedroom without leaving any access to a plug socket behind. Trouble is, I can't remember where the plug socket is.

Is there a way of finding where the socket is without moving the wardrobes?

Thanks!

Soldato
Are you planning on cutting a hole in the back of the wardrobe for access?

Cable/stud finder? That might not work if the wardrobe is fixed with metal screws/fixings. Failing that drill some small holes roughly where you think it might be. Try not to push too hard or you might hit the socket.

Soldato
Are the wardrobe up to the ceiling ? - If not try using a torch and mirror to look down the back if like mine there is a 30mm or so gap - Second option is drill hole at about right height the socket would be and get one of those thin camera things on a flexi wand for your phone.

If you do find it don't just cut out a hole the size of a socket - make sure someone can get the socket off and work on it. - Furniture fitters think sparkies have fingers like pipe cleaners.

Associate
OP
The wardrobes are up to ceiling height and don't have much (if any) gap to the wall.

Do you think a stud finder would work? They're only attached to the wall at the top.

Associate
OP
I don't think ive any photos before the wardrobes. Note for next time!

Are all stud finders the same? Which one should I go for?

Associate
Are you able to lift a floorboard either under the floor of the cupboard or just before it? You should see the cables chased up in to the wall at the location of the socket. Job done!

Soldato
If the wardrobe is literally up against the wall, you should be able to feel the socket location when you push against the thin back of the wardrobe which should make it easy to find the sockets. If you are not close enough for this to work, then mirror on a stick and a torch as suggested in post #3.

Associate
These would be cheaper :p

If they are PAX style wardrobes with bendy hardboard style backs then Syla5's suggestion is definitely worth a go.

Alternatively if the wardrobes are on an internal wall there's a decent chance that the hidden socket could be back-to-back with one in the next room. Or make a new socket spurred from one on the other side?

Caporegime
Check the estate agent's photos on Zoopla from when (if) you bought the house?

My other suggestion was going to be to lift a board and check that way / spur off for a new socket, as mentioned above.

Soldato
I don't think ive any photos before the wardrobes. Note for next time!

Are all stud finders the same? Which one should I go for?
No they are not all the same you can get some that find live wires as well as locate metal. You'll need one that detects at quite a depth though. They can get pretty expensive as well. When I get my tool bag out tomorrow Ill set a test up and see if it can find a socket behind some 18mm MDF and go from there.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help everyone! Just before setting out to buy a stud finder, I drilled (carefully) through the backboard, in a hopeful attempt at finding the socket first time, and found it!

Although next question has reared its head: what do I do if there's no faceplate, just the wires left in the recess?

Thanks!

Caporegime
Thanks for all the help everyone! Just before setting out to buy a stud finder, I drilled (carefully) through the backboard, in a hopeful attempt at finding the socket first time, and found it!

Although next question has reared its head: what do I do if there's no faceplate, just the wires left in the recess?

Thanks!

Then it would / should have been disconnected entirely and you'd need to run a new spur anyway. Very unlikely that there are live socket wires with no faceplate...I hope.

If there's a recess with live wires poking out, then turn off the house's power, fit a face plate, and send a snotty email to whoever fitted the wardrobe / removed the plate.

Or are you thinking they might have just wacked some wago connectors on the end?

Back
Top Bottom