Which 30"

Soldato
I'm looking to get a refund from samsung as so far they have taken 4 weeks to get a part in and repair my samsung 30st

So say I get a refund of £1000-£1200

What new 30"'should I buy?

Will be for gaming & maybe video editing photoediting

Soldato
I've been looking into this recently, from a gaming viewpoint. To my mind, the HP ZR30W is the new Mac-Daddy:

* Low input lag (~11ms)
* True 10-bit colour
* Very wide colour range (111% of Adobe RGB space, as measured by anandtech - the biggest they've ever recorded)
* Good response time (7ms with an IPS panel leads to very little ghosting)

The new 30" Dell could be promising, but the 3008 had an input lag of around 40ms, and the 2711 has a lag of around 30ms. Perhaps you will not notice this, but unfortunately I'm quite sensitive to these things. Games feel a little sluggish to me at 20ms+ delays. If the "game mode" works properly, like with the 2410, it could be a beast. If not, then it could be disappointing.

I just wish Dell would hurry up and let some review samples out!

Soldato
Yeah - I really hope that Dell can emulate the excellent 'Game' mode of the U2410 on their U3011. If they can then I think it will be an excellent gaming panel. I too feel the difference of <20ms input lag vs. 30ms+

Soldato
I've been looking into this recently, from a gaming viewpoint. To my mind, the HP ZR30W is the new Mac-Daddy:

* Low input lag (~11ms)
* True 10-bit colour
* Very wide colour range (111% of Adobe RGB space, as measured by anandtech - the biggest they've ever recorded)
* Good response time (7ms with an IPS panel leads to very little ghosting)

The new 30" Dell could be promising, but the 3008 had an input lag of around 40ms, and the 2711 has a lag of around 30ms. Perhaps you will not notice this, but unfortunately I'm quite sensitive to these things. Games feel a little sluggish to me at 20ms+ delays. If the "game mode" works properly, like with the 2410, it could be a beast. If not, then it could be disappointing.

I just wish Dell would hurry up and let some review samples out!

Nearly pulled the trigger on this model several times. At the moment the price is high because there is nothing to compete with this. I suspect when the new Dell is released the price should come down. By removing the scaler and keeping down the number of inputs this was supposed to keep the price low.

Also the lack of a decent dead pixel policy is poor on HP's part.

Soldato
Nearly pulled the trigger on this model several times. At the moment the price is high because there is nothing to compete with this. I suspect when the new Dell is released the price should come down. By removing the scaler and keeping down the number of inputs this was supposed to keep the price low.

Also the lack of a decent dead pixel policy is poor on HP's part.

I agree that the dead pixel policy is off-putting for a screen that requires a £1200+ outlay.

In this case it's just the UK price that is massively inflated. The US RRP is $1200 (around £770), and it can be found for this in a few places. But, if you want to buy from a UK retailer then you're looking at over £1200, and even that includes a two-week wait. HP list a price of £973+VAT, but calling them reveals this is only a recommended price, and that they don't sell direct.

Nothing is ever simple, is it?!

Soldato
I agree that the dead pixel policy is off-putting for a screen that requires a £1200+ outlay.

In this case it's just the UK price that is massively inflated. The US RRP is $1200 (around £770), and it can be found for this in a few places. But, if you want to buy from a UK retailer then you're looking at over £1200, and even that includes a two-week wait. HP list a price of £973+VAT, but calling them reveals this is only a recommended price, and that they don't sell direct.

Nothing is ever simple, is it?!

Cheapest is £1071 Inc Vat and in stock, so it is coming down. Just a pitty OcUK doesn't stock them.

Associate
I would be put off by a Dell at that size because of the crazy heat they produce and would be worried about it's life span.
(even my Dell 220NWA gets worryingly hot)
Great screens but too damn hot. If you have enough money to replace such an expensive screen after about 3 years then I would go for the Dell though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah... I see we have the same thing in two threads. Okay, I'll keep my comments here instead, as I guess this thread is more suited to the discussion of the new Dell u3011 :)

From reading the CNET review, it seems that:

- The panel itself is the same as the zr30w
- It costs around $400 more than the zr30w at US RRP
- It has a higher input lag than the zr30w (27ms vs 11ms), which doesn't reduce in game mode. Still better than the u2711 but not as good as the u2410 in game mode.
- It has a proper OSD, unlike the zr30w
- It (claims to) come with some factory calibration (although the review found relatively poor calibration in this case).
- The Dell has more inputs at the back; specifically HDMI

Other than that, the difference seems to be the pixel guarantee: Dell have a "premium pixel guarantee" of only one bright subpixel, while HP do not. Whether this, the OSD, HDMI ports, and the "improved" out-of-box calibration is worth the extra $400 and ~15-20ms lag over the zr30w is going to be the real decision.

Personally I think I will probably go for the zr30w, if for no other reason than I play a lot of FPS games and I'm quite sensitive to input lag. The Dell pixel guarantee is quite tempting though. Quite why HP don't put the zr30w into their premium pixel program I don't know...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just shipping in the US?
Can't find anything for the UK.

The only thing that puts me off the HP is the chance of Dead Pixels. If your paying that amount of money I want a perfect panel.

Agreed.

But the Dell doesn't have a "zero dead pixels" guarantee either. In summary:

Dell guarantees: Zero bright sub-pixels, or less than 5 dead pixels.

HP guarantees: Less than 2 bright sub-pixels, less than 5 dead pixels, and zero full-pixel defects.

If HP were to cover the zr30w under their "zero bright pixels" policy, it would be the same as the Dell. I don't *think* that they do (it isn't listed on their website under the supported models for zero bright pixels), but perhaps they haven't updated it? I will email them and see if they respond with an answer.

Associate
In reality Dell don't seem to care how many or the type of dead/stuck pixels you have. I've had 6 3008WFP monitors from Dell and every single one of them was replaced no questions asked with next day delivery when they started developing faults (that in itself sounds bad but really isn't).

in short, don't worry about it is my advice. They know that 30" customers are their premium customers and do all they can to keep you happy.

on the actual screen itself, yes please. although the lack of CF reader is truly stupid.... this is a premium screen for professionals and we use CF cards in our cameras... just a silly decision really. that won't stop me upgrading from my 3008WFP, but it does mean I'm going to keep both rather than selling, I think.

Soldato
In reality Dell don't seem to care how many or the type of dead/stuck pixels you have. I've had 6 3008WFP monitors from Dell and every single one of them was replaced no questions asked with next day delivery when they started developing faults (that in itself sounds bad but really isn't).

in short, don't worry about it is my advice. They know that 30" customers are their premium customers and do all they can to keep you happy.

on the actual screen itself, yes please. although the lack of CF reader is truly stupid.... this is a premium screen for professionals and we use CF cards in our cameras... just a silly decision really. that won't stop me upgrading from my 3008WFP, but it does mean I'm going to keep both rather than selling, I think.

That's good to know.

Does anyone know if HP operate similarly?!

As for the CF card reader... Surely a USB or internal card reader can be found for just a few pounds these days? :confused:

Associate
they can but it's just a pain when you're paying this much for a top end screen. there's no reason for it. i just think they couldn't be bothered :)

btw a tip: when you RMA your monitor to dell and receive a replacement - keep note of BOTH screens' serial numbers and all the other numbers on the back, not just the old OR new one. it's a nightmare when you have:

original screen > replacement screen > replacement screen

as i have now, and i've had to keep track of all of their SN for future RMA processes.

Back
Top Bottom