Which bike next for me?

Soldato
Right then, as you may be aware I passed my bike test a few weeks ago, and true to form I am bored of the 125 and need something more.

I have been checking ebay and biketrader frequently and there are some great bikes to be had. The problem I have is which to have?

Bikes I wont even consider for one reason or another:
*Hornet
*Bandit
*Fazer

Bikes I am looking for:(all models around year 2000)
*CBR600F
*SV650s (Only fully faired)
*R6
*GSX-R 600

Now I know I am being very open but to be honest I would be more than happy with any of the bikes mentioned there.

I am after peoples honest opinions and experiences on any of the bikes mentioned above as I dont want to rush in and get a bike thats well known for being bad in one way or another.
My beloved CBR125 is about to be put up on ebay and I will be very sad to see it leave but we all have to move on and get on bigger and better things.
My budget is roughly £2,500 for the bike itself, insurance upgrade will be extra I know so I have to leave some money set aside for that.
Any help is much appreciated from anyone

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was quoted almost £1500 TP from e-bike (my current insurers who were the cheapest for my CBR125)

I havent considered any 400's as they are all pretty old these days, no manufacturers have made modern 400's. Also I am after a bike which will last me a good few years to come, a good 600 will last a long long time. I have nothing against a 400 at all. Its also probably because 2 of my mates have 650's. One has an SV, the other has a brand new Bandit S

Soldato
OP
I cant across a thundercat on ebay a few days back and I had actually forgot all about it :)

As for insurance on an R6, I have just been quoted £1150, £1000 for a CBR600F. This is with e-bike, they wont let me have anything more than TP either :( I think I will be given a loan for the insurance by my family and I will just pay them off over time, but its going to be hard to pay a grand and save a grand ready for next years insurance.
I will shop around a bit to see if I can get that quote lower which I am sure I can.

**EDIT** Thundercat insurance is the same as the CBR600. These are all with e-bike. Its looking more and more like I am going to just have to get an SV, I'm not moaning about that at all but I would have preferred an R6 or similar so much more.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have just run up a quote for an SV650s and that was only £614 which is a more sensible option I think, but I am in love with the R6, but is it worth almost double the insurance premium?

Scarface, here is my auction :)

Soldato
OP
toy_soldier said:
How much was the insurance on the CBR 125? I would like a bike although all my family would hate me for it. Also what do you need to ride a 125 at 17 just your CBT?

I am paying £715 at the moment, TPFT with e-bike, that was back when I had a provisional and CBT only and also a claim.

As for the problem of the family, my family werent keen on the idea of me getting a 50, then when I suggested a 125 they said no for a long time but came round eventually. After passing my test now they know they cant stop me at all so they are pretty supportive of me getting a 600, they keep warning my that I will have NO money left.

McHaMmEr- I am planning on restricting it yes and I know it will take all the balls out of the machine, but when my 2 years are up I can just remove them and get on with it, I think if I got an SV I would just want to buy another bike again. At least with a sportsbike I will be able to keep it for another couple of years after my restriction period is over. The whole idea of spending lots now suited me because I said I wouldnt change bike for a long time to come.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate everyones input, I made this thread in the hope for an overall winner but I am still as confused as ever, the thing is, although the R6/CBR will be quite steep on the insurance I can afford it just about. I have worked out that come the weekend I will have almost £3k to play with, that will have to buy the bike and cover the insurance upgrade. I think it will cost about £150-£200 to upgrade my current policy.

I am finding it hard to come across many SV's at all, I am after a fully faired blue one if at all possible, there are a few on ebay but they are a bit steep, they want almost £3,300 for a 2003 model.

Soldato
OP
Well what with the forums going down we have lost some of this thread. I will use this opportunity to give an update.

I am still very keen on the CBR600F i have come across, insurance upgrade for 6 months if £133. I have said that I will only spend a max of £2k on the bike, I have the money and thats all fine. There is a bit of a problem, there is someone else bidding for the bike too, now I dont want to go over £2k at all, but I do realy want this bike. The seller said that when the other guy came to view the bike he said his max was also £2k and would stick to that figure, so I dont know if I should now just bid £2k and be done with it in the hope he doesnt outbid me a bit more. Or should I wait another day or so until I can see what the bike is going for then.
Argh I dont know, after getting all excited about this bike I think I am setting myself up to be a bit dissappointed and probably have to look around a bit more for another good buy.

Soldato
OP
Well, he said if the guy from yesterday didnt seem too interested in it he would just end the auction and let me have it for £2k, but obviously this other guy does seem interested and it isnt fair to end it just because I have the money ready for him.

I will keep you all posted on my progress :) The auction ends tuesday, so its all fingers and toes crossed at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well good news folks, I am still the high bidder, my CBR125 which is for sale on ebay also met its reserve which means I may be able to afford another £100 or so just to seal the deal :) I have got a feeling there are one or two people out there who are just holding back until the last day for it, well luckily (again) I have the day this auction ends off work so I can be on ebay watching how I do, if i win at 12:36 I will be straight on e-bike and updating my insurance and going straight over to Leicester to collect it :)

I will keep you all posted.

Soldato
OP
Because I want a bike which will last be long after the restriction period is up. I have set my heart on this CBR now and dont want to look at other bikes, I have had weeks and weeks of thinking about which one will be best for me.

My uncle will be riding the bike back from Leicester for me and the local bike shop will be restricting it on the day (they know me quite well and will do it for me as soon as I buy).

All that needs to be said now, as me and freefaller both agreed, is when are we planning "OcUK Bikers Meet 2006"?

Soldato
OP
^ Exactly my friend :) Details will be posted in a few weeks time, its got to happen in may/june time whatever happens really :)

Yes I am on a restriction period for 2 years, (well, 1 year 11 months now for me). I dont want to have the hassle and the cost of getting a new bike in a few years time, this is probably because its what most of my mates have done and I just want to follow :)

Soldato
OP
I am not sure but I would bet its going to be in the region of £600 for TP, maybe FT as well. I have 100% decided now that I can afford a CBR and a CBR is what I will be getting. Tomorrow hopefully too :) Auction ends for it at 12:30 lunchtime tomorrow, if I win I will go onto e-bike and upgrade my insurance and pop straight over there to collect it :)

Soldato
OP
*sniff*

The bike has gone over £2000 which was my original limit, I can possibly stretch to £2200 once Ive banked some postal orders today. I need to make a few calls and see what I can do, I have about 2 and a half hours to sort everything out and get back here ready to put in a last bid before it ends.

Soldato
OP
L Plate said:

Not had any time, been having far too much fun :D They will be up in good time I promise.

Bikers Meet '06 will be being discussed in a few weeks time, there isnt much point in starting a thread now for a meet that will most probably happen in May :)

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the long delay, been a very busy man recently :)

10018888kl.jpg

10018873sh.jpg

:)

Soldato
OP
I was waiting for a comment about those, I am slowly getting more confidence on the bike but this time of year isnt the best to scrub off the ode strips, I will wait for a dry AND warm day before I try getting it over a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom