Which cables are needed for a SATA HDD (Modular Power Supply)?

Associate
I am trying to fit a new HDD to my PC. My power supply (EVGA SuperNova G2 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply) has only 6 pin PCI express connectors, and my HDD is a 15 pin SATA cable.

I need approx. 12" of cable to complete this, however I am finding it very difficult to source the corresponding cables to make this possible.

Have you any suggestions as to how this can be achieved?

Associate
You generally want to be very careful when replacing power cables on modular power supply units, and make sure they are ones made to be specifically compatible with your PSU. Otherwise you can end up frying/bricking things. Your best bet is to go to the manufacturer's (so in this case EVGA's) website and look for what they list as being compatible with your power supply. The cables you need are standard SATA power cables (and SATA data cables if you don't have them). It seems from Google searching that they do sell cable packages on their website, that may be a good place to start.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

Do you have an example of the cable that would be used to power a HDD? I've had a look at the kits that you were mentioning, and I still can't seem to get my head around how any of those will power the HDD. In the past, I would just use a cable like the one in the picture below, but I can't seem to find a cable to then fit into this and then into my power supply. This is my first time using modular.

CB037OK_28089_750x750.jpg

Associate
Pulled up an EVGA link, keep in mind if you do decide to buy, you will have to make sure the cables are listed as compatible with your particular power supply, but as a general idea of what the cabling should look like, at this link: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-CU-1300-B9, one of the images shows what the SATA power cable should look like:

100-CU-1300-B9_XL_6.jpg

The one end is the L-shaped connector for the SATA end (the hard drive or SSD) and the other end is a MOLEX connector.

Soldato
Where are the additional cables that came with your PSU? You could not have possibly used all the cables that came with it unless you're already housing 6+ sata drives already. There aren't typically(exceptions exist - one posted already assuming that's appropriate) generic PSU cables you can buy for modular power suppliers, they are specific to that particular power supply, and you should have ample amount of spare connecters/cables.

220-G2-0750-XR_XL_3.jpg

Top left cables, they are labelled sata on the end that connects to the power supply.

How many sata devices do you have? If you do happen to have an unusually large number of sata devices, use one of the molex cables(labelled perif) with a converter cable(posted earlier in the thread).

EVGA provide a black material storage bag with the PSU, typically used to store the additional cables, did you perhaps put this away somewhere and forget what it's for? (maybe the spares are in there?).

Happen to have that very same PSU myself, you should have plenty of spares unless you were given the PSU less all the spare cables or have a crazy amount of devices to connect up.

EDIT: Unless i'm reading this wrong and you just need to extend the available cable? (google "sata power extension cable" or similar).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom