• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Computer set up is better? Please Help!

Soldato
Cpu 398
Mobo 159
Ram 179

Then you say sell it in 12months for an Intel 8 or zen+

Sigh. -_-
He was going to buy 1950X mate just for gaming. Put my post in context of the conversation.

8700K/8600K is the best he can buy atm for gaming than buying 1950X. Is not the 8-10 core SkylakeX.

While 8600K is a cheaper more disposable CPU if someone wants to upgrade in 6-8 months time with 8 core CPU. Or next year
And DDR4 ram can be used until 2020 DDR5 becomes mainstream.

However haven't see your proposal, but only critisizing my advice. You wrote to buy the best, but you go against my proposal for 8700K/8600K

So I am intrugued to see your "best gaming CPU" he can buy

Associate
If you're not sure on the ins and outs of building PCs then at least take a look at some of the pre-built gaming PCs to give yourself a ball park idea of what goes into a system.

With a big budget you're looking at the latest i7 8700k, possibly a delidded one by 8 Pack and a good Z370 motherboard to go with it.

16GB of RAM is plenty and due to the rising costs I wouldn't recommend going for 32GB unless you really want to. Get fast RAM so anything over 3000MHz

Look at getting a 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD for your operating system and then a bigger 2.5" SSD for your games. Only use traditional HDDs for mass storage of files like photos and music.

You'll want the GTX 1080ti if budget is no problem and with that graphics card, as others have recommended, then go and get a really good monitor. Maybe a big 4k screen or a fast refresh rate 1440p. Consider if you'd like ultrawide for extra immersion or not.

Power supply you should be fine with a quality 600W modular and the case you choose is down to your personal preference.

For cooling I don't recommend water cooling as a new builder so you are looking at one of the high end air coolers like the Noctuas, Cryorigs or BeQuiets that are available. Or you can look at an AIO liquid cooler such as the NZXT Kraken X62 or Corsair H100i v2 (that I own).

Don't forget about peripherals like a good keyboard and mouse and also your sound system. Do you want 5.1 surround, a good set of headphones, both?

Stay away from the extreme stuff like Threadripper from AMD or the Intel equivalent. You will be better served buying the best mainstream parts you can afford and selling them on second hand when you want to upgrade again.

Permabanned
Sigh. -_-
He was going to buy 1950X mate just for gaming. Put my post in context of the conversation.

8700K/8600K is the best he can buy atm for gaming than buying 1950X. Is not the 8-10 core SkylakeX.

While 8600K is a cheaper more disposable CPU if someone wants to upgrade in 6-8 months time with 8 core CPU. Or next year
And DDR4 ram can be used until 2020 DDR5 becomes mainstream.

However haven't see your proposal, but only critisizing my advice. You wrote to buy the best, but you go against my proposal for 8700K/8600K

So I am intrugued to see your "best gaming CPU" he can buy

So he as no clue... so let spec him 700's worth of stuff to sell in 12months...

Why not take the time to spec a good build that's worth buying now.
Tbf the guy is never going to but one of his specs because there a load of crap, but don't take the **** out of him

Soldato
So he as no clue... so let spec him 700's worth of stuff to sell in 12months...

Why not take the time to spec a good build that's worth buying now.
Tbf the guy is never going to but one of his specs because there a load of crap, but don't take the **** out of him

So I ask you. Whats better right now than 8700K I proposed. Because you write is not the best CPU for gaming.
(and the usual Intel zealots, haven't come to burn you yet suprisingly).

Permabanned
For a long term pc a 8700k in not a bad chip. Am not saying don't have that cpu i am askinv why would he dump the lot in 12 months and start over like you told him to.

Right now that chipset is classed as a dead end. But it's only a dead end to ppl that need to chance upgrades this guy want to buy ones and it last a long as possible.

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £3,286.02
(includes shipping: £28.02)

If gaming is what want, get a 8700k and a GTX 1080ti. Nothing else worth considering for this budget.

It will be much cheaper to build the PC yourself, and to shop around on other sites, but this is a ball-park figure.

For the monitor side of things, I would get 1 dedicated gaming monitor with a high refresh rate, low response times and G-Sync. I would then also get a 4k IPS monitor at 27in+ for everything else you want to do.

Also OP, it's basically impossible to build a PC right now that will 'last'' for a guaranteed 10 gaming years. You could buy a 240hz 1080p display instead of the 1440p I have linked, as this PC might be capable of playing 1080p games 10 years from now perfectly fine, but we don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Do you suffer from schizophrenia or dementia?

You argue with me me that 8700K & Z370-F is too expensive setup at £550 (which I didn't proposed ram), yet you agree on £2300 setup with same CPU but unknown motherboard?

On I don't agree with you. My question to you was why would he sell it off in 12 months and buy new? I am yet to get a reply...

I think for a person who will keep the pc for a long time the 8700k is a fantastic chip and will have staying power as many games still only use 2 to 4 cores. The 8700k is the right choice next in line is the and 1700

Associate
OP
Thank you guys, for all of your advices. I spent this beautiful Saturday for assembling something which is good enough to fulfil with my expectetion and a lot cheaper. You are all right, I'll wait for the new processer which, as you said should show up very soon and than I'll sell most of the parts and get it.

I supposed to buy you a drink for saving me (from AMD) and my money (from buying usless parts) :D

Cheers guys, have a great rest of the weekend ;*

Soldato
Honestly,OP don't build PCs to last 10 years unless you decide to build one and then hide on a island for the next decade without access to any technology.

Its best to build a solid base rig,and then upgrade as required. Even with a graphics card get one which is suited to what games you want to play.

Associate
Thank you guys, for all of your advices. I spent this beautiful Saturday for assembling something which is good enough to fulfil with my expectetion and a lot cheaper. You are all right, I'll wait for the new processer which, as you said should show up very soon and than I'll sell most of the parts and get it.

I supposed to buy you a drink for saving me (from AMD) and my money (from buying usless parts) :D

Cheers guys, have a great rest of the weekend ;*
So what PC did you build?

Associate
OP
So, this is what I want to buy :)

Processor: Intel® Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz Processor

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - I'm not sure about this one, also thinking about - Corsair Vengeance LED Red 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (I really want to buy 32gb)

Hard Drive: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME M.2 SSD

Hard Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (64MB Cache)

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G Graphics Card

Optical Drive: 24x DVD Writer - TBC

PSU: Corsair RM850X (850W) 80 PLUS Gold Fully-Modular PSU

Case: NZXT H440 White + Black Mid Tower Case - Windowed

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Operating System: Windows 10 for high end devices

What do you think guys? ;<

Back
Top Bottom