Which fan?

Soldato
While I have not tested or used new Arctic P series, the information on internet indicates the P series are a little better than F series. If I was buying Arctic fans it would be P series. ;)

'Air flow' fans versus 'pressure' fans is mostly advertising hype. For air to flow there has to be a pressure differential. Air flows from higher pressure area into lower pressure area, so if there is not pressure differential there is no airflow.

In our uses of fans we always have resistance .. grill, filter, fins, cables, HDD cage, etc. all create resistance to airflow.

Hi doyll, I'm about to pull the trigger on two Arctic 140 P series intakes and one 120 exhaust for a Meshify C, I suppose I'm just making sure this is a good decision as these fans seem too good to be true for the price, over 2.0mm H2o seems high compared to the usually recommended Phanteks fans but the Phanteks arent in stock either

Anything else I should consider or should I just got it?

Cheers

Hi doyll, I'm about to pull the trigger on two Arctic 140 P series intakes and one 120 exhaust for a Meshify C, I suppose I'm just making sure this is a good decision as these fans seem too good to be true for the price, over 2.0mm H2o seems high compared to the usually recommended Phanteks fans but the Phanteks arent in stock either

Cheers

I have two 120s and they are stellar, get the PST version and you can daisy chain them on one fan header :)

Soldato

Cheers
With 2x 140mm high static pressure rated intakes are allthe fans need. A rear exhaust fan will only be marginally if any better and likely increase noise levels. System will flow plenty of airflow with just 2x 140mm intakes. I would remove all PCIe back slot covers so they function as more front to back airflow around GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
With 2x 140mm high static pressure rated intakes are allthe fans need. A rear exhaust fan will only be marginally if any better and likely increase noise levels. System will flow plenty of airflow with just 2x 140mm intakes. I would remove all PCIe back slot covers so they function as more front to back airflow around GPU.

Yeah I read about the slot cover removal in another thread but the gap would drive me nuts, I might try it out of interest though

I'll order the intakes first and see how I get on, I'm just curious as to how these fans can be so cheap but have a better spec than the phanteks, there must be a reason either that or other brands are over priced. I've used noctua in the past, cost a small fortune for the CPU cooler and case fans and i didn't notice that much of a difference with temps and noise so don't want to make the same mistake

Soldato
It would help us if manufacturers gave use specs of fans over entire range rather than just full speed like P/Q curve at 500, 800, 1100 & 1500rpm so we could see what airflow and pressure at the speeds and resistance we use them. Some fans have a linier P/Q line while others are lower in middle or higher in middle. The Phanteks PH-F1xxMPs' have more flow at medium speed because their pressure ratings are higher in middle speed range than many others .. their performance is higher in say the 600-1200rpm range .. the range we use them most of the time. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know if Arctic P14 are much better than older F14, but P14 are quieter at same performance level. Same goes for Arctic P14 vs PH-F140MP .. all perform well.

Here's the P/Q curves of Noctua's new NF-A12x25, NF-F12 and NF-S12A fans showing how NF-A12x25 with lower pressure and and CFM is clearly the better performer in middle range of resistance (oval area) where we use our fans. PH-F140MP have similar curve.]https://noctua.at/media/wysiwyg/nf_a12x25/noctua_nf_a12x25_pq_compared.png

Here is P/Q graph of several fans at full speed. Notice that while Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 has much lower static pressure and cfm ratings it has much better airflow in middle resistance area than the other fans, the area of resistance similar to what grill and filter, radiator or cooler have.
http://www.coolingtechnique.com/img/rece/AIO/arctic/liquid_freezer/pressure.png

** Do not hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Ok now I am confused! That graph means low static pressure is better?
It's more showing the relationship where if air is able to flow, less pressure builds up. You could see the line for each fan as "this is how well this fan can convert air pressure into air flow". If a fan's line is higher up, its maximum airflow will be further to the right, which is better.

Soldato
Basically what LuckyBenski said.

The published specs of maximum static pressure and maximum free airflow are the vertical and horizontal lines at side and bottom of chart. Each fan's airflow at a given resistance represented by 'static pressure' is the line inbetween the maximum pressure and maximum free airflow ends. The red line of Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 is a good example of a fan that has lower static pressure and free airflow specs has more usable airflow to pressure level created by resistance of things like case grill mesh, filter, radiaor and/or filter.

What this all means is published free airflow and maximum static pressure often do not give us the information we need to know how a fan will perform the way we use them.

Soldato
Ok thanks, pretty much back to square one with what fans I want to buy, I'm not willing to spend noctua money again and just want the best bang for buck 140mm intakes and 120 mm exhaust

I'll have a look at those vortex fans

Soldato
Ok thanks, pretty much back to square one with what fans I want to buy, I'm not willing to spend noctua money again and just want the best bang for buck 140mm intakes and 120 mm exhaust

I'll have a look at those vortex fans
I was not suggesting any of the fans in the graphs. The graphs were presented only to show how a fans' P/Q curve often gives a much different representation of how a fan performs compared to published specifications. But even these P/Q curve graphs only show fan at full speed, at speed we rarely if ever run our fans in normal use. The PH-F140MP and Arctic P14 are both good fans.

Soldato
I was not suggesting any of the fans in the graphs. The graphs were presented only to show how a fans' P/Q curve often gives a much different representation of how a fan performs compared to published specifications. But even these P/Q curve graphs only show fan at full speed, at speed we rarely if ever run our fans in normal use. The PH-F140MP and Arctic P14 are both good fans.

Ok thanks for taking the time, I'm one of them that massively over thinks things :)

Doesn't look like the phanteks is going to be in stock in time but I much prefer the look of them so I need to either wait or just buy the arctics

Ok thanks for taking the time, I'm one of them that massively over thinks things :)

Doesn't look like the phanteks is going to be in stock in time but I much prefer the look of them so I need to either wait or just buy the arctics

The Arctics are available elsewhere in different colours and even transparent, not sure why OC dont stock the different variations.

Soldato
Best had, I've used Noctua's you know! ;)

I've been looking at the Arctic 33 Cooler to satisfy my OCD and have everything match, few decent reviews on it but one I cant remember who it was absolutely slated it, anyone got any first had experience of this cooler?
Arctic 33 is a terrible cooler.

When tested on Ryzen 7 1700 Arctic 33 was 99.6c (failed test), Hyper 212 was 86.3c and NH-U12S was 87.7c. Hyper 212 and U12S are mid-level coolers at best (top tier like Dark Rock Pro 4 was 77.6c, NH-U14S was 79c and Reeven Ouranos was 79.9c).
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/10/arctic_freezer_33_esports_one_cpu_air_cooler_review/3

If you want a good £30-35 cooler, the Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure for £33.95 is one of the best.

Last edited:
Soldato
Arctic 33 is a terrible cooler.

When tested on Ryzen 7 1700 Arctic 33 was 99.6c (failed test), Hyper 212 was 86.3c and NH-U12S was 87.7c. Hyper 212 and U12S are mid-level coolers at best (top tier like Dark Rock Pro 4 was 77.6c, NH-U14S was 79c and Reeven Ouranos was 79.9c).
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/10/arctic_freezer_33_esports_one_cpu_air_cooler_review/3

If you want a good £30-35 cooler, the Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure for £33.95 is one of the best.

Ah yes it was hardocp that reviewed it badly, a lot of other reviews praised it though

Wish I never sold my U12S

Back
Top Bottom