• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which GPU for 3440x1440?

Depends on the games you play, and frame rates you need. went from a 1080ti myself and if you want to play the latest and greatest at max then even a 3090 is only moderately satisfactory. For the type of games you described if you are happy to leave a few settings on medium you can probably make the 2060s last until the next gen is available.

Playing at 3440x1440p with a 3080 and having a grand time. You certainly don’t need one, but if you’re wanting 100Hz or higher then you will likely need at least that much power.

Playing at 3440x1440p with a 3080 and having a grand time. You certainly don’t need one, but if you’re wanting 100Hz or higher then you will likely need at least that much power.

If only I could get my hands on a magical 3080fe. Otherwise I am waiting for the 3080, 3080ti or 6900xt cards to dip in price a bit

3080 or RX 6800 XT would be an ideal fit. Probably the latter considering pricing, unless RT performance is a must.

Another vote for this. I have a 6800 on a 3440x1440 100hz screen and can hit 100fps on most games, but do need to drop settings in some cases. Wishing I'd gone for the 6800XT, but none were available for a reasonable price when I got it.

I run 3440x1440 on a 3060ti. For the most part the games I play it's fine. Pubg runs over the refresh rate (144hz), but more demanding games like rdr2 was 50 to 60fps with everything mostly at max settings, however dlss increases it substantially to 70-90+fps.

I run 3440x1440 on a 3060ti. For the most part the games I play it's fine. Pubg runs over the refresh rate (144hz), but more demanding games like rdr2 was 50 to 60fps with everything mostly at max settings, however dlss increases it substantially to 70-90+fps.

Out of interest, what CPU do you have? I only just hit 100fps in pubg (although do have most things set to max :p). I did notice a substantial boost going from an i7 2600 to a ryzen 3600x on my previous 5700xt, so it's possible i'm being CPU bottlenecked in this case?

Out of interest, what CPU do you have? I only just hit 100fps in pubg (although do have most things set to max :p). I did notice a substantial boost going from an i7 2600 to a ryzen 3600x on my previous 5700xt, so it's possible i'm being CPU bottlenecked in this case?

I'm using a 5800x undervolted and overclocked. I run all settings on low except for textures, draw distance and AA, which are maxed, easier to spot people lol.

I'm using a 5800x undervolted and overclocked. I run all settings on low except for textures, draw distance and AA, which are maxed, easier to spot people lol.

Fair enough, I guess it depends on how high OP wants to push the graphics. I was running a GTX 970 when I got my first 3440x1440 screen, followed by a 980ti - both of which are quite a bit slower than the 2060s, but were perfectly usable!

For all bells and whistles then I still think a 6800xt is going to be the minimum to make the most of the 144hz, but a 6800 or 3070 would likely be enough to get close with dropping a few settings (depending on game).

A 3060ti is probably not a worthwhile upgrade over a 2060s as it's only ~20% faster (especially with current prices)

To update. I get about 80-90 FPS in overwatch. 110-144 in apex depending what is going on. Haven't tried new world yet which is what I will be playing soon so will test it in the upcoming beta weekend. Sure league and other mobas will do 144 no issue.

I did try a couple of mmo style games and a tomb raider and was just getting 70fps so if a 6800xt or 3080 is 100% faster than my 2060s then they really are the cards for 144fps

Depends on the games you play, and frame rates you need. went from a 1080ti myself and if you want to play the latest and greatest at max then even a 3090 is only moderately satisfactory. For the type of games you described if you are happy to leave a few settings on medium you can probably make the 2060s last until the next gen is available.
Managed to grab a 6900xt red devil a good while back and as i always had nvidia cards previously i wanted to try AMD out just to see how they perform...i have a asus crosshair hero viii ,t force 3600 ram (cannot praise highly enough thx OC) , 3900x cpu which im hoping to upgrade next month .. (saving for a can am ryker 900 trike ) and this machine runs like an absolute dream... love it.. so i reccomend amd all the way .
I have recently just bought a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor mainly due to wanting to try it out for both work and gaming. I did have 3 monitors before 1x 1440p 16:9 for gaming/main screen and 2 1080p monitors flanking it for things like discord, Google Chrome etc.

I had a 2060s as a stopgap card as my 1080ti died but haven't had much luck with the new gen GPU availability.

With all that said, if I wanted to play some MMO games, MOBA, FPS/battle arena type games as well as do my day to day Microsoft office type work then anyone have any suggestions as to how high up the food chain of GPUs I need to go. Are we talking 3080ti or 6900xt or more or what is the minimum people would suggest for a 144hz 3440x1440p screen?
I bought an Asus TUFF gaming 3440x1440 ultrawide and Managed to grab a 6900xt red devil a good while back . As i always had nvidia cards previously i wanted to try AMD out just to see how they perform...i have a asus crosshair hero viii ,t force 3600 ram (cannot praise highly enough thx OC) , 3900x cpu which im hoping to upgrade next month .. (saving for a can am ryker 900 trike ) and this machine runs like an absolute dream... love it.. so i can reccomend .

Looks to be anywhere from 20% to 70% which is nuts! Guessing newer the engine the more it'll utilise the extra power.

Was just about to say it must be more than 20%. Previous card was a 2070s and the 3060ti I have now on the games I play is notably faster.

Fair enough, tbh I have no experience of either, so I was just going off benchmark results :)

Back
Top Bottom