Poll: Which headset is going to make it?

Which headset will succeed?

• Oculus Rift

Votes: 63 21.2%
  • HTC Vive

Votes: 99 33.3%
  • Playstation VR

Votes: 43 14.5%
  • All will be supported equally

Votes: 37 12.5%
  • None of them because this time next year it will all be gone, like 3D TVs.

Votes: 55 18.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Personally think you are MASSIVELY over -stating what most gamers setups are capable of

I very much doubt the majority of gamers will have a pc capable of VR right now (even on a 970, which probably isn't going to be that great a performer)

Ok let me rephrase that, most "serious" pc gamers have the hardware necessary. A 970 is the minimum recommended spec for VR by Valve and Oculus.

Soldato
Ok let me rephrase that, most "serious" pc gamers have the hardware necessary. A 970 is the minimum recommended spec for VR by Valve and Oculus.

That may well be right - but thats also going to be a tiny fraction of the potential market.

When prices start coming down for gen 2 or 3 ( in regards to PC users) this is when it will be adopted to a larger scale in the PC arena, given that for the cost of either pc variant majority of people interested enough can get a PS4+ headset and not worry about Windows configs etc etc etc (obviously to us here its no issue, but to the wider public its a concern).

There was an article somewhere stating from an independant body that by the end of the year they are expecting 56 million PS4s to be sold (with 36m~ already sold, and no these arent shipment figures but actually paid for and being used).

How many "serious" gamers are out there and able to spend $700 or there abouts on a headset? 1%? of the PS4 audience and that would probably be over -estimating it I would have thought

Remember also we only have technical specs to go off really currently, Once we can actually compare the three main competing choices it may become clearer which may be adopted in a wide scale (when have the public ever cared for higher specs just for the sake of it , in reality - ha ha ha - the FOV or whatever differences may not be as evident as they should be)

Depends on who comes out with a must-have game / app

Last edited:
Soldato
PSVR is indeed most likely to be the mass market adoption device, its cheaper for a start. On the PC side of things adoption will be slower for sure, like you say not everyone has a machine capable and are willing to fork out £500+ to be a VR guinea pig.

But if like your one of those few who has the hardware and funds to get one or both headsets, then I intend on letting friends and family freely come over and try it out because as the press have said many times its impossible to explain it.

Surely enough some of my friends and family will really enjoy and think I want that myself. The may well go for the full experience from the get go or just opt for a simple set up like PS4+PSVR for half the cost. What matters though is they will be helping to push VR and eventually reduce the entry level costs. That's all that matters.

Caporegime
I don't think VR will last...

It will be like all the other failed stuff ....the PlayStation move...Xbox gesture thingy...

Plus gamers are lazy...they like to be sat on a sofa with a beer or in front of a desk :p

Associate
with about 50mil PS4, and a 399$ price tag on the PSVR, i think sony will have stock shortage of headsets for the next year after release, all Devs will be heading to PS for their titles, so doesnt matter how low spec PS4 is, 99% of VR games will be done for it, and then ported to PC, and we cant even brag about having higher resolution on PC, all games will be practicaly copy paste, unless some Devs are willing to spend time and polish PC ports
still i picked Vive as a winner, best gaming experience period.

Associate
I think the Vive will be and remain the winning option to start, Oculus have made a total hash of the PR like microsoft did with the X1 in the installed base we will likely have 2:1 ratio with oculus playing catch up. They have slightly better HMD ergonomics and display but their room scale support and motion controls are missing at launch.

Touch controllers will come in a 3 months maybe, but I think we will see very quickly that while people will be eagarly adding VR support into existing games there will be almost no new VR games that dont need touch, infuriating Oculus owners as they wait. Given that HTC motion hardware will already be in the wild developers will have a heads up on implementing HTC support over oculus

By the time touch comes the PSVR wont be all that far away, its hard to see someone who was not a PC enthusiast suddendly becoming one and switching to PC for VR, they saw their console as 'good enough' and will likely take their first steps in VR 'trying it out' on PSVR.

Take in point the fact that neither console can geniunely manage full 1080PC, graphical compromises have to be made on both to come to that number but rather than be annoyed at sony that they only get 80% of the experience they point at microsoft and say look we get 2% more of the experience than you. Before this ends we will see PS4 owners telling us PC VR is crap because PSVR gives them 120fps, there is so much fanboyism that they dont hold sony even to the things they were promised, like full backward compatibility via in home streaming, which is still not available, how long did it take to deliver the instant suspend feature, both sides have both physical games and digital purchases and I cant remember anything that the PS4 promised over the X1 actually coming to fruition. I'm picking on sony as the winner of that 'debate' MS made their missteps too.

Hence for me I think 12months down the line it'll look like
1) PSVR
2) HTC Vive
3) Oculus

But all of this, ALL of it.. will just be lighting the touchpaper on it for gen2. The world will see VR and the world will want it, just like the world wants 4K, however the world will also look at its wallet and decide to wait it becomes cheaper.

Still not certain about that. Most 'serious gamers' who can afford the hardware have the systems capable of running VR. That's a very very small proportion of gamers.

I would love to see VR finally become a reality (child of the 80's, its been a long time coming), but PC seup costs and PS4's relatively low power for making this tech. shine leaves me feeling that this is all some time away.

Soldato
Still not certain about that. Most 'serious gamers' who can afford the hardware have the systems capable of running VR. That's a very very small proportion of gamers.

I would love to see VR finally become a reality (child of the 80's, its been a long time coming), but PC seup costs and PS4's relatively low power for making this tech. shine leaves me feeling that this is all some time away.

Looking at the steam survey, the 970/980/980ti cards make up 6%, you could arguably add in some cards like the 780ti plus AMD (AMD's cards identify themselves by series so its difficult to get the high/low split), so maybe 7%?

7% of 125 million is nearly 9 million VR ready PC's

Its not massive compared to PS4, but its also not too shabby either

Oculus said they would be happy if they get 1 million gen1 headsets sold

Soldato
I cant think why anyone would share a machine, or if its a family PC wouldnt you just have everything on one steam account?

The only time i can think youd have multiple accounts on one machine is if that person also has access to another PC and they want to play games on both, so that then makes it multiple PC's for a single user account again.

No way of knowing which is more likely or if they just balance out.

Soldato
7% of 125 million is nearly 9 million VR ready PC's

How many of those are going to have £700 to spend on VR headset though - a tiny proportion of that 9 million

I will be absolutely amazed if the PC variants sell even close to 100,000 units world wide (in Gen 1) combined

I just cant see people being able to afford it on a large scale

Associate
How many of those are going to have £700 to spend on VR headset though - a tiny proportion of that 9 million

I will be absolutely amazed if the PC variants sell even close to 100,000 units world wide (in Gen 1) combined

I just cant see people being able to afford it on a large scale

Pretty sure Oculus have already sold well over 100k units alone. Think I actually read estimates of around 300,000 sold so far the other day.

I remember HTC announcing they'd sold 15,000 units in the first 10 minutes of preorders too.

Soldato
^ yep, Palmer is quoted as saying 50k is less than half a months worth, they are sold out till July so thats already well over 300k, and yes HTC sold 15,000 in a few minutes

It looks like gen 1 headsets are going to sell somewhere north of 1m units

Back
Top Bottom