Which Hornby Set - Starting a collection for 1 year old

Associate
Happy weekend all - when is Summer starting?

My son is 1 year at the end of the year. I wanted to get something that we can add to as he grows up and will still be interesting for him into his older years.

One idea I have, is to buy the fundamentals of a Hornby train set, then each year we can buy him a Loco or specific track to add to the collection.

However, I am a complete novice and no idea where to start. I think there is different size gauges of track/locos, but would like to go for the one that will be the most common to buy parts and trains for.

Any pointers would help me greatly.

My son is 1 year at the end of the year. I wanted to get something that we can add to as he grows up and will still be interesting for him into his older years.

One idea I have, is to buy the fundamentals of a Hornby train set, then each year we can buy him a Loco or specific track to add to the collection.

However, I am a complete novice and no idea where to start. I think there is different size gauges of track/locos, but would like to go for the one that will be the most common to buy parts and trains for.

00 gauge is Hornby’s standard and by far the most popular gauge. Also called H0 in Europe and the US. You won’t go wrong with that, plenty of starter sets in that gauge

I would say OO gauge is most popular, and Hornby is the leading brand, so I'd go for that. If space for the layout is an issue, I might consider the much smaller N gauge.

I would buy a starter trainset from Hornby:

£159.99

£189.99

There is also the programme Hornby A Model World on TV for more info.

Re gauges see:

To be honest for a 1 year old you are probably better off getting a Thomas the tank engine play set of some kind. Then if he stays interested in trains in general you can explore proper train sets when hes slightly older and can give you a vague idea if which bits interest him for you to focus on.

Be honest, its for you!!

I can see this thread getting detailed pretty quickly tbh.
0:33

And don’t call me Shirley.

To be honest for a 1 year old you are probably better off getting a Thomas the tank engine play set of some kind. Then if he stays interested in trains in general you can explore proper train sets when hes slightly older and can give you a vague idea if which bits interest him for you to focus on.

Those Early Learning Centre wooden train sets are cool.

Last edited:
Agree with this - as someone currently modelling in both OO and TT:120 scales.

They do a toy-like range called Playtrains which would be more appropriate for younger children (although still 3+ recommended). I wouldn't give a kid under 5 the normal Hornby stuff and even then it'd be the basic cheap items. Stick with OO to begin with. TT:120, N, Z will all be too fiddly for children.

Honestly though, for a 1 year old, the wooden Brio stuff is probably more appropriate and cheaper - what if they turn out to have no interest in trains?

Once they're a bit older you can get a standard Hornby set, or just buy bits off eBay which will work out much cheaper. e.g. oval of track £20, 0-6-0 loco £40 and some wagons job lot £40. Controller say another £30-40 for something decent. If you have the patience for auctions, can get some real bargains.

If you're buying primarily for yourself then that's a different prospect and I'd start with asking yourself whether you want a train set or a model railway?

Train set = an oval of track using sectional pieces that you intend to assemble on a table and then pack away again
Model railway = permanent fixture using flexible track incorporating prototypical design elements

Last edited:
Translation - I want to buy myself a trainset. :cry:

:D

Joking aside, there is a serious point there in that you don't know for sure that he's going to like trains. I mean it's not an unreasonable assumption that a boy would like Lego or trains or Scalextric etc. But, maybe he decides he really really likes Scalextric the most or gets really into Lego and you've gone and filled the attic with train stuff over 10 years.

I guess if a relative has some and was due to get rid of it say then it's reasonable or if you spot a bargain at a car boot sale, sure, stick it in the attic just in case.

But otherwise, it just seems pointless, even if he ends up liking trains he might decide he wants the latest HS2 model or he might decide he only wants steam trains for his set. Probably best to just buy a basic set when he's older and if he gets into it then add to it further at later birthdays and Christmases.

Last edited:
i can guarantee by the time he reaches 9/10 he will resent every single thing about the trains and trainsets, that you wanted as a kid, that you have forced upon him.
Its like dance mums....

My dad did the same. For my xmas present he bought me some N gauge tiny trainset which i thought was cool for about a week... He spent probably 100+ hours fiddling with it and building up a track layout and sidings on a huge piece of hardboard... N gauge **** was not cheap.... God knows how much he sunk into his, i mean, my hobby :p

Sure as a midlife crisising adult id love it now..

i just looked up some prices.... jesus christ...

Last edited:
I had quite a conflicted experience with Hornby as a kid. Loved it, but spent most of my time knowing we couldn't afford the bits I wanted and just staring at catalogues.

I do think Brio is a far better option, will keep him amused for many years yet and you don't have to worry about breakages, electricity, fluff in the engines, getting clothes caught on the tracks etc.

If it is for himself, why would someone be embarrassed to admit they want a model railway? It’s not really a child’s hobby.

A lot of very famous people are model railway enthusiasts. Rod Stewart’s 1940’s manhattan setup is bloody amazing! Elton John and Tom Hanks are big enthusiasts too.

If it is for himself, why would someone be embarrassed to admit they want a model railway? It’s not really a child’s hobby.

A lot of people use their kids as excuses to get into hobbies that they want to do themselves. There is still a perception in society of railway modellers being only one step away from trainspotters... i.e a bit dull. Embrace it I say. I find people who are into sports tremendously dull but nobody seems to try and hide those hobbies. They probably wouldn't even consider them to be a 'hobby' as such.

Clearly getting into a hobby that will cost thousands of pounds at a minimum if taken seriously for a 1 year old is ridiculous. Even a basic layout with the minimum of rolling stock done to a reasonable standard will cost hundreds all in. Add in multiple trains and digital control, sound etc and you're into thousands without even trying. Restraint is a valuable skill in this hobby.

Last edited:
A lot of people use their kids as excuses to get into hobbies that they want to do themselves. There is still a perception in society of railway modellers being only one step away from trainspotters... i.e a bit dull. Embrace it I say. I find people who are into sports tremendously dull but nobody seems to try and hide those hobbies. They probably wouldn't even consider them to be a 'hobby' as such.

Clearly getting into a hobby that will cost thousands of pounds at a minimum if taken seriously for a 1 year old is ridiculous. Even a basic layout with the minimum of rolling stock done to a reasonable standard will cost hundreds all in. Add in multiple trains and digital control, sound etc and you're into thousands without even trying. Restraint is a valuable skill in this hobby.

I remember when I went on a impulse trip to my local Argos to buy a Snes mini in 2017 and that it was a birthday present for my daughter and the wife giving me that 1000 yard stare.

Back
Top Bottom