Which Hornby Set - Starting a collection for 1 year old

These guys have taken it to the extreme.

What I love about Mckinley is the automation and technology such as RFID in freight wagons.

My son is 1 year at the end of the year. I wanted to get something that we can add to as he grows up and will still be interesting for him into his older years.
Is he even into trains right now?
I've found kids often change interests more often than they change their socks.

One idea I have, is to buy the fundamentals of a Hornby train set, then each year we can buy him a Loco or specific track to add to the collection.
Don't bother.
Even if he's 100% into it forever, you'll both get so far but then find yourselves struggling to track down some of the more elusive parts that are essential for the collection.
One day he'll be phoning every single shop in the Yellow Pages, trying to find the one place that still has an R186 Signal Box.

But I would say any hobby could be seen as "sad" by today's young/youth. If it doesn't involve iPads and TikTok I'm sure kids aren't interested.
People told me the same thing about letting my eldest watch crappy 80s cartoons like He-Man, She-Ra and Thundercats... Not only am I frequently woken in the morning by shouts of, "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL", but she's gotten loads of her schoolfriends into it as well. When I go to pick her up, I see them all in the playground pretending to be Cheetara, Lion-O, Panthro and so on.

Happy weekend all - when is Summer starting?

My son is 1 year at the end of the year. I wanted to get something that we can add to as he grows up and will still be interesting for him into his older years.

One idea I have, is to buy the fundamentals of a Hornby train set, then each year we can buy him a Loco or specific track to add to the collection.

However, I am a complete novice and no idea where to start. I think there is different size gauges of track/locos, but would like to go for the one that will be the most common to buy parts and trains for.

Any pointers would help me greatly.

As someone who had quite nice (very middle class) presents but those presents were often bought as things I my step dad hoped I'd like/he liked I wouldn't go overboard.

I was a bit older, but my step dad would often but presents for him. Like fishing gear even though I hated it. We went once. Later on golf clubs. A full set. I'd never liked golf. Used once.
A scalextric set. Used once.

Even recently as an adult, asked the gf if I'd like a drone or a gopro. She said a gopro. He won't use a drone. Got me a drone anyway. . Used a couple of times (it was a cheapish one) and I bought myself a gopro a few months later.

Definitely not saying don't try new stuff at a young age. But I just wouldn't go overboard

Last edited:
I think most parents like to live through their kids in some way. My dad made a table that took up half my bedroom. Had the grass, buildings and everything. All glued on. I remember the buildings would come flat pack and my dad would sit on the kitchen table on a weekend building them up for me. My mum would go clothes shopping on a Sunday and my dad would take me to the model shop.

I lost interest in my early teens and was far more in to my Nintendo 64 so it got sold to a old chap.

My son has tool boxes full of Lego passed down from our daughter but I built the majority of those sets!

Last edited:
I've an old Hornby Mechano Dublo set somewhere, I recently found the bag full of the tinplate track, I just have to find all the engines, Carriages and power supply/speed controllers now!, My grandson is train mad at the moment, It's going to his house!

Last edited:
I think most parents like to live through their kids in some way. My dad made a table that took up half my bedroom. Had the grass, buildings and everything. All glued on. I remember the buildings would come flat pack and my dad would sit on the kitchen table on a weekend building them up for me. My mum would go clothes shopping on a Sunday and my dad would take me to the model shop.

I lost interest in my early teens and was far more in to my Nintendo 64 so it got sold to a old chap.

My son has tool boxes full of Lego passed down from our daughter but I built the majority of those sets!

I thought that's what kids were for, give us adults opportunity to be kids again..

Back
Top Bottom