Which Hornby Set - Starting a collection for 1 year old

He's too young for it. Wait until he's a bit older and skip trains and go straight to Scalextric. Far more excitement from the latter, more sociable to have friends over to race against and if you have room you can still do a permanent set up and do the creative side of creating the surroundings to the track like the spectator buildings etc.

Sometimes hobbies with kids work out, one of my friends at school and his dad loved to build fully functional steam engines - they'd often set up a track at the school fetes for everyone to have a ride on the train.

We used to take the Mick a lot but he loved spending time in his workshop with his dad, he went on to be an engineer (a real one before people ask!).

just be like normal people and get a wooden train set, then when the kids 3-4 get get a lego duplo set.

one of the city parks near me has a train set ;) I bet it's about the only park in the country that has one.
It only operates a few times a year though, I think the organisation that runs it is dying out and not attracting new members
move to Newcastle and join them :p

It's location is amazing too, theres a huge micro-brewery pub directly next to it, the buildings massive because it used to be an old military museum

rRTbM85.png

theres another model club that operates further behind on the moor for RC aircraft too, I think it's also dying out as I never see anyone flying anything, but the grass runway is always maintained

Last edited:
00 gauge is Hornby’s standard and by far the most popular gauge. Also called H0 in Europe and the US. You won’t go wrong with that, plenty of starter sets in that gauge
Erm HO stands for "Half O" as its exactly half the scale of O. Hornby's OO is similar but not quite the same and not to scale either
/geek mode

A one year old will trash a train set in about fifteen minutes.
Yeah get a wooden toy train or something he'll probably enjoy it more too

When our kids were younger we got them the Thomas the Tank engine die cast toys with magnets at the front and back. They absolutely loved them and they have since been passed on many times and they are still all in one piece.

Shirley something that appreciates in value would be better?
Open to suggestions!

00 gauge is Hornby’s standard and by far the most popular gauge. Also called H0 in Europe and the US. You won’t go wrong with that, plenty of starter sets in that gauge
Perfect, that sets me in the right direction.

Translation - I want to buy myself a trainset. :cry:
Ooof, is it that obvious??
I thought my plan was perfect to get my first train set via this hahaha

I never knew that was there and I've been to Waylay Brewery a few times. My local town used to have a set like that.
If you still live local and have kids then it will next be running on the 2nd june 11am - 3pm
even if you don't have kids I guess you could still go for a ride and a beer

Last edited:
Might need to start a thread for scalextric as well - as reading some of the comments it seems that this would be a better option for a 1yr old.
There is one:

There is one:

TOP MAN!

I'll give that a read this evening.

I've been there done that, my boy used to love Thomas the tank engine, so thought would love a train set. Looked at Hornby, but decided against as it's really not suitable for young kids. We ended up getting Thomas the tank engine Tomy trainsets. We spent a fortune on them, scoured Facebook market place getting loads aswell, was interested in it for a year then lost interest.

Done similar with dinosaurs, though dinosaurs were his thing for about 3 years, he still likes them but they are no longer a focus of his.

He moved onto star wars, was all he was interested in for 2 years and now there is signs that's waning aswell.

Every time he's into something my wife goes mad with buying stuff he's into.

Luckily it's calming down a bit as he grows older.

But unless your proper into it, careful how much money you chuck at it.

As others have said a BRIO wooden train set would be ideal for a 1 year, however it is expensive according to @iamdjdz .

My parents bought me a Flying Scotsman Hornby trainer back in the 90s, along with a Thomas and other items. I had a train set in various locations on the house over the years but one cool place was in the garage with the baseboard swinging down to rest flat against the wall. I remember having a school friend over in Year 8 and playing trains with him. He wasn't as excited as I was.
Over the years I then got my dad to build me something more permanent in an old outbuilding. The aim of this was more of a model railway but I never really got beyond the baseboards and track.

All my locomotive and rolling stock are sitting in my mum's attic. A few items are limited editions such as the Dolton plate and Sir Ronald Matthews loco set. The Black Prince 9F with a sketch from David Shepherd.

Now as I turn 37 in a few months and have a house large enough for a model railway, I just need to build something.

Peter Waterman recently said that engaging your people in model railways is key as it helps develop life skills. Think of all the carpentry involved in building a baseboard. Or wiring the electrics. What about patience needing to build or paint a model railway? I think it could be an ideal hobby for people and to hell with the image of it not being cool!

Might need to start a thread for scalextric as well - as reading some of the comments it seems that this would be a better option for a 1yr old.
I don’t think so. A 1 year old barely know what’s going on, and Scalextric can still be quite fiddly if not as bad as model railways.

I wouldn’t spend any money of these sorts of things until they’re at least 5 years old.

Back
Top Bottom