• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which is the better choice for me?

Associate
OP
I see what you're both saying, and it totally makes sense.

I just need to work out the best combination for myself. At the moment I'm just weighing up my options, trying to bring it all in at under £800 (just the system) it's proving easier on 1155 than 2011, I just don't know which I'd prefer performance wise. If it's pretty much even, then no point spending more than I need to.

In regards to clock speed, 4.5ghz is most likely more than enough. If either/or can manage it, then great!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Definitely quite an irritating situation!

I'm certain I'll figure it out. If I have to, I'll grab all the other components and leave the CPU and motherboard until last, just so I have that extra bit of time to make up my bloody mind!

Associate
Ahh, I've already got a Windows 7 Ultimate disc, so as far as OS goes I'm set.

Thanks for that extra bit of info regarding a monitor.

- Anthony.

Is it an OEM disk or retail? If it's OEM it belongs to the PC it came with and shouldn't be transfered...

As to performance, how is it now and what's the current spec? If it's OK-ish then probably any modern CPU will seem blazingly fast. You might find more information about what CPUs work well with your software if you look for forums for that software rather than hardward forums.

Associate
OP
As far as I'm aware it's retail, got it back in July just never bothered using it knowing I'd be building a new machine.

Like I've said before, the current machine isn't mine and when I move away next year I can't take it with me, so it doesn't particularly matter about the current machine.

I'll poke around some other places and see what I can dig up, cheers.

Associate
OP
Well, I bit the bullet and went for the 3570K.

Just figured, with some good cooling, it'll be more than enough for what I need. It's just a great, all round CPU as far as I can tell. Of course, I'd probably rather have the X79 kit, but budget wise, I'm far better off with Z77. There's always the possibility to upgrade in the future anyway, so I'm happy with the choice.

I shall start grabbing the rest of the parts over the next month or so, and I'll get myself a build log posted in the new year :)

Cheers for all the help though, I really appreciate it!

- Anthony.

Back
Top Bottom