Which ISP for FTTC?

Associate
Hi all

My current deal with Virgin ends shortly, just about to give notice, they do provide the fastest internet but after issues lately with them and over subscription and the lies and deceit their representatives used I am seriously considering leaving them (unless they give me an amazing deal, which probably won't happen)

So looking for a FTTC provider that has decent customer service and speed but I MUST be able to use my own router, I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway and AP'S as standard router's have no chance covering all areas of my house.

Any recommendations or providers not to use?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Any particular budget?

I'm with Zen, not the cheapest and don't offer any discounts at all, but you get exemplary service and support.

Take a look at Quidco/Top Cashback and look at offers with the likes of Sky, PlusNet and BT.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I'm with BT, and honestly I can't fault it. It just works, ring up every now and then and have a moan about the price and theyll knock a couple of quid off the monthly bill or throw in line rental for free for 6 months etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, budget isn't a problem, I prefer to get good service.

Sky are out as you can't use your own router.

Also we are high users so traffic management or fair use policies are out of the question to.

Man of Honour
My Zen connection:

a76364add99b104e6254baccb64bd320-20-04-2017.png

I don't have QOS set up yet.

Can't fault the connection at all. Saying that, Sky's was just as good but the support wasn't.

Man of Honour
I thought it was hard to get the u/n and p/w, don't want to sign up and find out I can't get it?

I asked sky and they said no.
It isn't that difficult and once you have it there's no more messing around to be done.

Sky will of course say no, but I had no issues logging calls when my own router was connected.

Associate
OP
It isn't that difficult and once you have it there's no more messing around to be done.

Sky will of course say no, but I had no issues logging calls when my own router was connected.

Thanks that helps a lot, if I can get it all under sky that will be easier, out of interest do you know if you get sky Q and some mini boxes are they independent of the router so using your own kit for wifi isn't an issue?

Man of Honour
Thanks that helps a lot, if I can get it all under sky that will be easier, out of interest do you know if you get sky Q and some mini boxes are they independent of the router so using your own kit for wifi isn't an issue?
If you use your own router with Sky Fibre and Sky Q, it will be treated as using another ISP so you won't get the wifi hotspot functionality that the Q hub provides.

Man of Honour
Have PN sorted their latency out on the new network? I may look at some cashback deals and switch to them.

Do they still do static IPs?

Man of Honour
Looks to be £85 cashback with TCB, £25 activation fee and £30 a month for a 12 month contract. I currently pay £46.99 to Zen so that's quite some saving (£263.88 I think for the year). I'll probably put the order in tomorrow.

Associate
OP
Looks to be £85 cashback with TCB, £25 activation fee and £30 a month for a 12 month contract. I currently pay £46.99 to Zen so that's quite some saving (£263.88 I think for the year). I'll probably put the order in tomorrow.

Not sure about EE broadband but they are doing £150 through quidco atm, would need to look in to their service though.

Man of Honour
Not sure about EE broadband but they are doing £150 through quidco atm, would need to look in to their service though.
I'd also get 5GB of data on my SIM, will look into them too but I remember they wanted £8 or something for router delivery when I don't need one which put my back up.

Associate
OP
I'd also get 5GB of data on my SIM, will look into them too but I remember they wanted £8 or something for router delivery when I don't need one which put my back up.

My wife's on EE so it would be useful, is it all your EE mobile contracts or just one, I am on 3 but would happily change to EE?

Back
Top Bottom