Which ISP for FTTC?

Associate
OP
Just switched to PN from Zen. Big saving, getting connected early next month.

I have just completed my spreadsheet of options, Zen are very expensive and no cashback, not sure I can justify more than £10 per month and with cashback that's £15-20 more than some!

OK you get a free static IP but I use DDNS now and have no problems with it for what I use so not really a concern.

Soldato
I have used Plusnet for years and moved over to FTTC with them several years ago. In the main it has been pretty faultless, apart from a line fault outside the house and then when I replaced the phone pole outside the house and went through the sewer with the new one.

Their forums have been very good and so has their support, but I have not needed to ring them in a very long time.

Zen has usually been rated highly but I have been put off with the cost.

Man of Honour
Sweet. I paid line rental up front (£185.88 + £25 activation) so I only have to pay £12.01 a month or so, not bad compared to the £46.99 it's been with Zen. Plus there's the £85 cashback to come as well. :)

Last edited:
Associate
With Plusnet at the moment cheap and cheerful but due to a weird bug only get 91% of sync speed. Considering migrating to Sky as it uses LLU as opposed to BT-wholesale which is used by Plusnet/John-lewis/BT-retail etc

Can definitely recommend Plusnet though. Long waiting times for support and can take an age to get faults fixed. But when it is working, absolutely no complaints.

Caporegime
Changing to Sky won't affect your sync rate. What it may do is give you a set of customer support staff who know the procedure to lean on Openreach to get a misbehaving sync profile reset, but the actual physical equipment is identical.

Man of Honour
So far so good with PlusNet, no evening congestion which is what I feared however the connection is the same as I got with Zen. The only thing I have noticed is my ping has gone up from 7ms to 10ms but again that's not noticeable. Gaming, streaming, Usenet downloads all the same. Glad I made the move.

Associate
If your on an EE mobile contract I've found them to be very reliable (10/10) in the no-nonsense billing (they always take the correct amount on the correct date without screwing around) and also really helpful on the phone (both sales and tech support), you also get no connection charge and an extra 5GB of mobile data so I'd hazard a guess and say go with EE. Avoid Firefly, TalkTalk (both business and residential), Virgin and BT

Man of Honour
Thing that annoyed me with EE is you have to pay a £7.99 router delivery fee even if you want to use your own router. I know it's petty but it was enough for me to look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom