which mechanical keyboard?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Thinking of changing my lycosa for a mechanical keyboard but not sure which ones are decent. Rather not have one that makes a racket as I do a lot of work on my pc at night, backlight is also a plus and anti ghosting. Rather not have big tacky logos all over it though.

Was looking at the gigabyte one but Google brought up a review saying had poor accuracy and tacky wrist rest.

Any opinions and experiences/recommendations would be great please =) looking to pair it with a g600 mouse for mmo play thanks

Associate
What type of switch are looking for, no feedback, lots of feedback or somewhere in between? Any particular layout or special keys you need, macro etc?

Soldato
OP
Not sure what the various switches do which is why i said not too noisy, else i am not sure really, whichever feels good as typing is my main priority for coding, gaming comes second. The Qpad doesnt look AS bad as i thought the logo isnt as big as it looked at first. Still looks a little tacky :p

Permabanned
Mechanical = Noisy.

If you don't want to hear clacking don't buy a mechanical.

You can tune out of it though can't you? I find typing only annoys me when someone else is doing it :D

Soldato
OP
Mechanical = Noisy.

If you don't want to hear clacking don't buy a mechanical.

You can tune out of it though can't you? I find typing only annoys me when someone else is doing it :D

Aye it wouldn't bother me at all mate it's other people that would not appreciate my late night typing lol

Soldato
OP
Osmium vs mk-80

Moving on from my previous thread asking about various keyboards, i have decided on a red switch and am looking at either the gigabyte osmium or mk-80 keyboards.

Has anyone even used the osmium yet and able to give any impressions? A review i read said that the keys were slippery as not rubberized etc.

Anyone thats used either keyboard and can give me their opinions on the build quality and aesthetics would be much appreciated as am looking to order tonight.

Associate
I have the gigabyte keyboard. It is heavy and VERY nice! It does make a tingy sound when typing quickly but you get used to it and I think all the mechanical keyboards do it. I find the top right button useless as it can change colour but the keys them selves cannot.... Weird... it is very nice to type on and a joy to use. The USB 3 and 2 are an awesome touch!

Soldato
I bought an osmium about a week ago and I'm still getting used to it.

My last keyboard was the old style blue G15 which I had for about 6-7 years and loved, I only replaced it because keys started to stick,

I really like the Osmium for gaming, It feels awesome, But for typing I am struggling to type at speed as I keep catching keys that I wouldn't usually catch as they are so easy to press, I spend more time going back to delete letters that shouldn't be there than ever,

I guess I will get used to this in time though, I will report back in a couple more weeks

Soldato
OP
Okay well i just received my Osmium keyboard and first impressions are great. I did take a bunch of pics on my phone of unboxing the keyboard and comparing it to the lycosa but my phone isnt recognised by pc at the moment for some reason.

So first thing is first, what suprised me about the osmium is its size. The pictures make it look enormous, or thats the impression i had from them. In actual fact its about the same size as my lycosa keyboard, looks a lot smaller in person that on the pictures which is great.

The wrist rest is only plastic but it matches nicelyt with the keyboard and doesnt feel cheap to me, i will be keeping it on.

The backlight goes crazy bright, on the lowest setting it is as close to the lycosa as i can get it, though probably still a little brighter which is a good thing as the lycosa was hard to read unless you stood looking down on it.

Scroll wheels work fine for adjusting this just like a wheel on a mouse they can be pressed, the backlight one switches off the backlight completely.

This is my first mechanical keyboard so i have no knowledge of the other switches etc, i went for red as i wanted a quieter keyboard due to not living alone here and i liked the thought of it being really sensitive. People claimed that they accidentally type the wrong keys etc by brushing up against them, i think some people must just be neanderthals as you can press the key down slightly without it registering so there is no way i could brush against one to type a key so anyone that was put off by those comments can rest easy.

As for typing it feels great, its not quiet by any means infact its pretty clacky so i have no idea how loud blues must sound lol. I havent actually typed properly in a long time but just went onto a random online typing test and tried my luck ensuring i typed correctly with all fingers and got 100% accuracy at 61wpm, not super fast obviously but then i have not done a whole lot of typing recently. I think anyone that is good at touch typing will find these cherry reds a joy to type on it feels brilliant.

So all in all i am very happy with the keyboard, looks and feels great, not tacky looking like i feared with the scroll wheels and am glad i made the purchase.

Oh yeah, USB3.0 ports on the keyboard work fine too.

Back
Top Bottom